Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Shoutbox

Aendri

Inactive Member
something ive seen on a lot of forums is a shoutbox. maybe we should add one in? it would making talking OOC easier, and you could do it while on the forums, so it would make life easier if you just had a quick question not worthy of a thread.

just like talking, and questions between people. Like where people have been, how are you?, that kind of stuff. short enough that it doesn't warrant a PM or topic, but you want to say it. also, it would be good for just quick discussions.

If your in a plotship, you can just use the OOC thread for that purpose.

Maybe what we could do is add a shout box for each ship in their thread. This would replace the OOC thread which would also eliminate the problem of the page getting extremely long. It may not be worth the trouble, but it could be done.

However, you don't play long on SARP without YIM for very long, so you'll get it anyway.

I don't think it's really necessary for us to add it, considering there's no posting minimum on the OOC forums and you can say that stuff on there if needed.

I wouldn't mind a little shoutbox (could be cool) - I will look around the net for a good system for it. Nobody would have to use it, though.

I believe a shoutbox will likely demand an upgrade of your forum license Wes. That's going to cost money - money I don't think you need to spend on a frivolity such as that.

Kotori said:
I believe a shoutbox will likely demand an upgrade of your forum license Wes. That's going to cost money - money I don't think you need to spend on a frivolity such as that.
phpBB is open source - I paid nothing for this forum software and am free to modify it any way I please - there's no licensing fees or upgrade fees or anything.

Maybe you're thinking of vBulletin? One of the main reasons I moved from ezBoard (aside from its horrible reliability) was that I was tired of paying them. So now all our forum stuff is free.

Aendri said:
also see animefan.ro. this is a forum im on, and they have a chatbox.
Looks like that site got shut down.

1175417048824.jpg

sorry, we need to get the money in to them. only 6 of us ever donate, and we dont have enough money at the moment.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back