• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Size descrepency for the Vampire classed Patrol ship.

Cora

Inactive Member
Length: 95 meters
Width: 60 meters
Height: 14 meters (16 with landing gear extended)
Decks: 1

These are the quoted measurments for the Vampire patrol ship. Now naturally anyone with even remote knolowdge of the Metric syetem would tell that something is wrong.

For those that don't. I'll translate it.

It's over three hundred and thirty five feet long.
Two hundred and ten feet wide.
And forty nine feet tall, sixty five with the landing gear down, which means the gear's seven feet tall.

That is a one decked ship. It's deck is roughtly forty feet tall, with the required space for systems and armor. Now, tell me. Why is a ship with one deck roughtly the size of a four story building?

This three man, single deck patrol ship is larger then most multi deck ships in the SARP.

Chris wins an internet for pointing this out. I think I noticed it before, but just slated it on the Vampire having a large cargo bay to house tanks. Then again, tanks aren't four stories high. Chris' comparison pretty much made it crystal clear there could be some discrepancy here.

Seeing that someone on this board (M0007) has a vested interest in the Vampire, a revision might be in order - I actually think the anti-fleet weapon on the Vampire sort of spoils the package as well, but that's just my opinion... not an actual glaring flaw.

I say shrink the ship to 47 meters (165 feet) long. 30 meters (105 feet) wide and 6 Meters (21 feet) tall. It shrinks the ship by half and leaves enough room for two decks of three meters (10.5 feet) each.

The weird size is probably due to who ever designing this layout freaked ship, thinking metric was equal to feet, that or they just never really tried to find out that there's a 3.5:1 comparison between feet and meters.

But even with that taken into account, the sizes he chose were odd regardless.

We really have to go through some of the existing ships to fix such things; many of the ships in SARP don't really make much sense.

2 spelling errors edited out of this post, by Wes

Cora said:
I say shrink the ship to 47 meters (165 feet) long. 30 meters (105 feet) wide and 6 Meters (21 feet) tall. It shrinks the ship by half and leaves enough room for two decks of three meters (10.5 feet) each.
The size is weird. This suggestion seems okay to me.

This reduction in size, however, doesn't meet the ship's tonnage.

It was rated at 58850 (How palandromic) Kg, which would translate into about 29 tons. Which means this ships is far lighter then most other vessels it's size. If anything this ship should be at bare minimum 50-60 tons (100,000-120,000 kg) unloaded of shuttles, or tanks.

Which really shows the person who made this ship was picking numbers out of a hat.

Cora said:
Which really shows the person who made this ship was picking numbers out of a hat.
Stop trying to indirectly insult me, or I will ban you, Chris.

I'll make the changes to the stats when I get a chance.

I didn't know you made the Vampire Wes.

I'll take better care about what I say in the future though.

At the same time can someone answer the concern I have about the Vampire not having nearly enough room on board to store the amount of anti-matter needed for its central weapon.

This is indeed interesting...I'm all for shrinking the size of the Vampire and boosting the weight...as long as mine can still haul a fair amount of cargo. My only concern is redesigning the interior to dual deck, but that can be done easily enough...if Wes is willing to approve retroactive changes to the Yggdrasill Vampire Variant.

Zakalwe said:
At the same time can someone answer the concern I have about the Vampire not having nearly enough room on board to store the amount of anti-matter needed for its central weapon.

A Better question is where is the Quantum-Gravitic generators that create the anit-matter? Since they're not shown on the tech sheet.

Maybe this ship only has one deck because it needs a lot of structural support for the cargo bay.

I mean, if it's gonna haul battle tanks into space, you'd want a few more support beams than strictly necessary, just to be safe. :)

Yangfan said:
Maybe this ship only has one deck because it needs a lot of structural support for the cargo bay.

I mean, if it's gonna haul battle tanks into space, you'd want a few more support beams than strictly necessary, just to be safe. :)

Some places, like the hanger and tank storage bay can be bult as a single deck. It;s just the size alone beign over forty feet tall is alittle massive for a single deck ship, even the more moterate 21 feet I suggested would be very big. We're talking a four story building and a two story building respectivly here.

What should be added? In the Yggdrasill design, the Cargo Bay might be two decks tall...more medical, crew, and recreation areas?

I updated the page to have the corrected measurements.

Well, some of the areas can be expanded. The double deck was a suggestion because one can make more room that way without truely scarificing the over all design.

Easy anwser, shrink the range/power of the weapon, instead of having utter destruction over a 93 thousand mile long 25 degree arc, why don't we narrow the arc, shrink the range abit and lower it's destructive force.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back