• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Slew of New Player Questions

Rynol

Inactive Member
Well then! Someone (Ai? I dunno if she goes by that here) pointed me over here from my own stomping grounds and I was curious about a few things.

1) I was considering a Yamataian or Jiyu-god-I'm-posting-too-fast-to-look-up-the-spelling because of the character concept I was using, and was curious what kind of things I should know, short list, to make an indie chara.

2) Same, but in regards to joining a ship like the Yggdrasil rather than for the races above.

3) I was planning on her being an inventor, so I was curious if I were able to submit technologies before chargen, and more importantly to know what kind of techbase someone of her origin, but civilian, would have access to.

Ai... Yen? You wouldn't happen to be referring to DragonNova would you?

Anyway, your questions:

1. Pretty much, the biggest thing to keep in mind is simply having at least some sort of a reason for them to be there. That's really it. It can be anything from running from the law to boredom with his old life.

2. Er... I'm unsure if I understand this question. Yamataians and Jiyuuians can join ships like the Ygg. Toshiro is a Yamataian, if I recall correctly.

3. Hrm. Generally, having "inventor" as a sole occupation for your PC isn't always the best idea. They can have it as a side job, but it's generally a good idea to give them other skills, too. Most prominent IC inventors that come to mind are military officers, like Heram Wazu and Yuriko.

If it's the Ai I think it is, she's on the site. But hey, cool. I guess word of mouth does work.

1) Japanese culture, if you're Yamataian. A Jiyuuian would also be familiar with the political reasons for the seperation of his/her state from the Yamatai Star Empire and have his/her reasons for staying.

2) Ask Toshiro about the Ygg. It's his plot, but Yamataians are stock characters, so race shouldn't be an issue.

3) Ideally, after. You can mention she's invented a few things, and submit them later. Avoid including what things she's designed in the biography, just in case whatever it is you're submitting isn't going to get approved.

Generally speaking, the only restricted technologies are the ones fielded by the military, like transdimensional energy, unstable experimental particles and technologies that project certain kinds of field (stealth tech).

Hey Rynol. Good to see you, dear.

Sub is right though, Simply existing near the setting isn't going to get you too far. What you say about the character being an inventor has more to do with the personality (which is perfectly fine,) and flavor of the character. You do of course, need to give them a purpose. It can be anything, (Within reason of course.) from wanting to see the universe to making money or simply because your pathetic civillian life bored you to tears.

The best thing you can do is just read up on the race and plotships you're considering then just make a draft, taking your best shot at it, then just keep editing and correcting things till you get it. (Mine was definitely a crash course. It's embarassing the mistakes I first made.)

Glad to see you joining us! (Now to drag swiss' cynical butt over here.)

Alright, fair enough!

re: SubLIMEinal.

Your answer to 1 got what I was trying to ask with 2 (namely if there were any real considerations for having an independant vs. a military type... and in my haste... I think I asked that in question 1 already. >.> <.< )

And I gotcha there as far as having some other skills in mind. I have a few ways I could handle that as I actually draft a bio.

re: Exhack

Thanks, the kind of cultural historical things were what I was going for. And yeah question 2 was kind of dumb in hindsight because I got hit by a sudden reason to go offline fast in the middle of the post.

As to the inventions, thanks, that's a good idea.

And of course re: Dragonnova

Yup! I fully intend to have a good reason. And I'll definitely hack away as to plotships and stuff. Anyway...

TO GLORIOUS CHARGEN~ *Marches off to, well, do that. Some time.*

RPG-D RPGfix
Back