• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Smoking Ban

Which of these options would you choose in law?

• Smoking is allowed in public places, bars, restaurants etc, pretty much everywhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smoking is banned totally.

• Smoking is not allowed in public areas.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
With the upcoming legislation in England, and the debate with Luke, I thought it would be intresting to get people's opinions.

I'd out right jump the gun and ban it completely. Smoking serves no purpose other than to steal every penny you own, start killing the people around you, and then - finally - it decides to kill you. There's no point to it! So just dump the thing entirely.

People have the rights to make mistakes, but not to have their own mistakes make other suffer. I don't care if some people can't heed good judgement calls and smoke - they'll pay the consequences eventually and it's not like they don't know it can kill them.

So, no public smoking. If a smoker wants to poison himself on his own, it's his choice, but I can't tolerate them lowering the quality of life of others though.

I'm totally against smoking, but why I'm being a bit lenient here is that there are other lesser evils other than smoking which can lead eventually to death. Want examples?

Salt. Put salt in your food and by middle age you could have an heart condition. Same goes with greasy, cholesterol-rich aliments too. But do people really listen to the dietary recommendations and take it easy? No, they generally don't. And so they die early.

It's easy to non-smoking people to cry out 'stop smoking! it's bad for you!' ...but how many of the non-smoking people eat their corn with butter and salt? Get my drift? That's why freedom of choice shouldn't be stamped out completely. Regards for others must be enforced, though.

I totally agree with Kotori.

CB, you should ban alcohol, too, it doesn't hurt people directly as second-hand smoking does, but I think I can easily announce that a huge part of fatal car accidents have something to do with alcohol.

And, speaking of cars, ban them, too. They spread a lot of Carbon Monoxydes, Azote Oxydes, and other cool stuff that will do great things to your lungs, like, cancers, and stuff. And I'm not even going to talk about this nifty thing we call the greenhouse effect.

Ban sugar, it causes vision troubles, diabete....

EDIT : Oh, and i nearly forgot to add : BAN CHOCOLATE ! It is teh EVIL !

Alright, arlright, I came off way too harsh and I'll admit that. It's still not a good idea to smoke though. Alchohol is better (and is actually good for you if you don't over drink) and cars are just a case of accidents happen. Smoking is downright unhealthy though but your both right - people can do what they want.

Though not spelled out in the Constitution, smoking is an extention of personal freedom assumed under the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 9th Amendments. I don't like smoking, but I shouldn't be able to dictate to a person, "You cannot do this PERIOD." In public places, however, the government can regulate it legally under concern for the public health.

Private institutions, however, should remain free to do as they wish.

Okay, I'm going to take it a bit further. The "public places" you listed are actually privately owned businesses, which I do not believe the government has a right to interfere in. Should bars and restaurants not be allowed to serve alcohol or foods that contain salt? If the government wants to prohibit smoking in government buildings, schools, parks, or anything else that's funded by taxpayers, that's fine...but they shouldn't be able to tell the owner of a building that they cannot let people do something that's perfectly legal within it.

...but they shouldn't be able to tell the owner of a building that they cannot let people do something that's perfectly legal within it.
Like making it a health hazard by allowing smoking? Last time I checked, ensuring public well-being was something governments were responsible for.

Second-hand smoking on people (that is, blowing smoke on an unwilling victim) should be illegal, like rape is. Both are unwanted invasions of someone else's body.

Wes said:
Like making it a health hazard by allowing smoking? Last time I checked, ensuring public well-being was something governments were responsible for.

Second-hand smoking on people (that is, blowing smoke on an unwilling victim) should be illegal, like rape is. Both are unwanted invasions of someone else's body.
While I agree that smokers shouldn't blow smoke directly into others' faces, non-smokers need to take some responsibility for themselves. If you don't want to be exposed to environmental smoke, don't willingly walk into a restaurant that allows smoking.

Well seeing that I am in fact a smoker I better say something.

I believe that smoking should not be banned as that would be a violation of freedom, however I do believe that smoking should be banned in enclosed areas such as pubs and restaurants. I believe that smoking should be allowed in private property and open areas.

All Marriott properties are now going non-smoking. If you smoke in one of the rooms, Marriott bitchslaps you with a $250 cleaning fee!

Funny you should mention that. The Marriott I stayed at for MEPS made you go across the street. I agree with them fully though.

Agreed. No-one wants to smell cigarette smoke in their rooms - or find ash in their carpet.

And the simple concept of being bitchslapped with a bill is brilliant.

It all really depends on what you're smoking.

...Man, that sounded lame.

Well, if you bother to do your research, most illegal substances taken in such a manner aren't packed with the chemicals and crap that the over-the-counter junk is.

It's actually illegal to consume tobacco in many countries unless it's certified (polluted) by the Government.

Given this, it is a very dirt habit bit if you observe, it's spread throughout culture and it began with the untrendy old fashioned pipes and what not. Those funny looking sticks with the little buckets on the end.

People thought they could make money when they champed in and tried to make it popular with the youth.

I figure it should be banned, for the most part. If you really want to smoke, don't expect to look "cool" doing it and use a pipe like they did hundreds of years ago. It's an old habit and it should be treated like one.

If people are aware of the risks and want to smoke, fine. However, those of us who don't smoke shouldn't have to inhale the junk they exhale or that their filter protects them from.

Permit smoking in specific places.

Anyone screaming persecution because they smoke and try to force it on other people should be treated like any furry who does the same. (Most smokers don't do this, but I've seen a few who do.)

Someone posted a bio with a smoker. It's related. There's nothing wrong with thread reviving.

MM007 said:
If people are aware of the risks and want to smoke, fine. However, those of us who don't smoke shouldn't have to inhale the junk they exhale or that their filter protects them from.

Permit smoking in specific places.

I agree that you shouldn't have to inhale smoke if you dont want to, but it has never been as easy as all that. I have many friends who are smokers and if I want to be their friends I have to be near them when they smoke. Sometimes life is too short, just tell them to F*** off, if it bugs you B)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back