• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Interest Check So Basically, It's "Q-Branch" From the Bond Films...

Blizzard

Inactive Member
Alright, so here's my spiel.

This is a plot I had planned for the future, one that might need @Wes or any of the other Yamatai FMs to approve of, specifically SAINT, since it will basically add a new government agency to Yamatai- but not really.

Lemme explain:

My character, Jax, has recently come upon a ton of money, and started a company called Havok. As of right now, Havok is a custom airbike shop akin to Harley Davidson or Yamaha, but Jax has plans to build upon the small operation. He wants to move into things such as mass production and weapons development. He plans to do this by moving his operations to his recently-purchased space station, listed here, which he shares with his colleague and sort-of friend Candon Suites.

Now, Jackson's enlistment contract is about to expire, and he's slowly realizing that military life isn't for him. But, he still loves the Star Army, and the empire to which he immigrated. He still wants to support his fellow countrymen as best he can. But he's a tech-whiz, not a hardened infantryman. So instead of being shot at, he would prefer to apply his talents in a less hostile environment.

So here's what I'm thinking:

SAINT has spies. Spies need uber-cool gadgets. James Bond, a spy, has Q-Branch to supply him and the other Double-Ohs with equipment. SAINT could have Havok, an unsuspecting little startup company off in the boonies with their own secret labs in which to analyze new tech and produce relevant mission-specific gear.

The plot wouldn't be your typical combat/military RP, but more of a "Revenge of the Nerds-Meets-Saints Row" type ordeal. Sure, SAINT might want to send out some fighters to act as a sort of go-between and added security, but the characters in this plot would be an assorted group of geeks, starting as a small company, and forging their path to greatness while encountering all sorts of hiccups along the way.

Jax is a brand new millionaire, and is steadily learning how to run a business. There will be action, there will be comedy, there will be somber moments of defeat, but that won't stop the Havok Crew!

Still haven't worked out the details, but I have time to do so. This plot won't start for a while, if it gets the go-ahead.

So basically, it's "Q-Branch" from the Bond films!

This could very easily overlap with the FSC and 188604 if you're interested.

Wazu could show up from time to time for tech reasons and the 188604 crew could be clients.

SAINT has in-house equipment development, as well as SARA, for its needs. @raz can say so with authority, but I would wager SAINT would want to see what Havok has to offer before committing.

The IPG still uses NAM, though it also takes advantage of contractors. Havok might have an "in" there.

SAINT does indeed already have its own "Q-Branch," as it were. It develops secret agent stuff for use in cooperation with SARA.

That said, I don't see why your plot idea wouldn't work. Individual SAoY designers have had their own shops in the past—Yaichiro and Murasaki Emiko come to mind—so if you want to run something in "the boonies" under Jackson Howard's design direction, it'd certainly work. Lord knows Jax has a good reputation within the Star Army for his engineering chops. Havok wouldn't be the only source of gadgets, but it would be a source, and seems like a fun plot for its players.

Getting nifty SAINT equipment out of it is always welcome and appreciated, too. Just remember that all SAoY equipment is supposed to come with art and that anything made for SAINT couldn't be shared with other organizations!

As you suggested, SAINT could send some buff NH-33A girls to be your door goons. Maybe they could wear the new Type 37 uniform in tacticool black! If they aren't plainclothes, that is. Stuff like that doesn't seem too difficult or nonsensical a request. You'd probably need your own compartmentalized MEGAMI installation, too.

SAoY tech stuff is Wes' bag. But Director Shida definitely wouldn't deny the opportunity to have Jax design mission gadgets if the plot's FM approved.

Last edited:
Thanks for your inputs! These are all great suggestions!

I still have a while to smooth out the fine details, and this certainly helps!

Well, I don't have a problem with a Q-branch style RP, but I think the Star Army would want all its research done in Star Army facilities, not on any sort of private property or privately-owned starships.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back