• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission Softsuit, Mark I 2B "Arundel"

CadetNewb

Submission Type: Multipurpose Armored Suit
Submission URL: Softsuit, Mark I 2B "Arundel"

Faction:
FM Approval: Yes
Faction Art Requirement: No

For Reviewers:
Unapproved Sub-Articles: Yes
New Art: No
Previously Submitted: No

Notes:

I'll list the unapproved sub-articles here. Those that aren't listed, I'm not seeking approval at this point. These shouldn't be a problem either, as they're setting elements such as government/faction and not weapon systems, or are only being referenced at this time.

The suit itself is meant to act as a sort of basis for everything else that they have. Without it, a lot of the rest of their technology can't be used, such as their Hardsuits, which latch onto and over this Softsuit. Additionally, it serves as a general purpose suit. Engineers can remove the armor on the arms and calves, opting for lighter boots, while civil protection and secondary or tertiary forces can have appliqué armor.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks Nash. If you got the time though, could you also give me your opinion on the tech? Even if it's negative, I would appreciate it since it would give me some perspective.

No a problem Cadet always willing to help.

The Bolham I have no issues with, its a basic armor

The Meddal Pseudoshell I have some questions, concerns if you will

The Camouflage is an all or nothing, eg, the armor all turns green or is the color change variable at the panel level. I presume that a single panel can only change color and not put in patterns. How quick is the change? eg, does it take 5-10 seconds to change to a given color?

If the pseudoshells are on the exterior how does the user get the tactile senses? Or is that function dependent upon the soft suit.

What is the power source for the pseudoshell? And as for the regeneration, how does it regenerate. If half a chitin panel is destroyed, how quickly will it grow back, and what does it use to rebuild it. Do the shells have a nutrient component to feed it?

The Pseudoshell isn't a system of panels or chitinous pieces, but basically an organic over-layer that grows over the suit's armor plates. In exchange for being able to grow over the plates, regardless of shape, they provide no true protection. As a false shell, it's no better than a hard wearing cosmetic layer. Not only that, but they don't grow as a continuous surface over joints, and must be broken up into scales and such, disrupting the pattern further. The camouflage that it can use is basically a very 'natural' pigment based one, similar to what chameleons or cuttlefish use, meaning it has a fair amount of detail, but not to an excessive degree. Its rate of change is also similar to that found on actual animals that use this method of hiding - its best performance comes from when it is holding still, not moving. During movement, it's pretty much just some fancy Digital Camo pattern that happens to always be suited to the environment. Meanwhile, the tactile senses come from the network of nerves that run just under the surface, like skin or most other sensory surfaces. As it is a fake, or false shell, it is not truly rigid either. The amount of flex in this bio-engineered layer is enough that nerves under the surface can be stimulated by physical contact and variations in temperature, resulting in this functioning as a second skin in terms of sensory input.

As for the source of power, it is primarily metabolic, and is supplied by the organic suit that it's a subsystem of. This system regenerates by dividing on a cellular level to rapidly produce stem cells which travel to points that it is neededl The rate of repair is very fast in terms of the capabilities of raw flesh - nearly cancerous - and is enhanceable by the use of the nano/femto flora/fauna that the Ottyo are fond of, "Blue Cordial", which I've linked. Naturally, the regenerative ability of the Medall Pseudoshell is limited by how much material will be given to it by whatever it is part of - if deemed necessary, it can even be allowed to draw organic material from the user for an example.

Okay. You answered my general questions. I would recommend that you put what you put here into the Pseudoshell page, under the appropriate category. Eg, the details you provided for the camo under that, the repair capability under the regeneration. etc. That is information that a player will need to use it properly.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back