• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Some technical questions on FTL and capacitor systems

OsakanOne

Retired Member
Inactive Member
Does FTL take time to spool up?
Are drives rated at a set number of jumps before needing maintenance? Do they consume a fuel or material?

Does disposable FTL equipment exist in the SARP?

In the event a capacitor can't hold charge quickly enough (through whatever technobabble), could a GM make a shock-array (which fires every 40 seconds or so?) fire every 7 minutes or so, to draw out a conflict and make it more interesting for the sake of roleplay -- so on a situational basis, what would normally be a very one-sided engagement comes with a chance of the other side actually perhaps MAYBE succeeding in disabling the ships long enough to ESCAPE?

There is a charging time for Fold. But if you have already charged, then its a fairly quick thing to activate the system and have the fold bubble form.

There is no documentation on the maintenance aspects, eg how many folds before it needs service etc.

Well this probably only apply to Gartagen ships. Generally I treat Hyperfold as a quite an EVENT. Navigators using CORE assistance have to plot precise jump coordinates(many times these coordinates are logged allowing for quick jumps).

As far as the effects, I figure that Hyperfold drives are delicate objects with a lot of moving parts. It stands to reason that maintenance is an on going process. I figure they break regularly when you have reacted your destination. It is a lot of energy being used to tear open the fabric of reality. But most ships SHOULD have capable mechanics and engineering teams that tackle the issue as it occurs, so it just falls under redundant ship maintenance.

I am writing a wiki on space combat. FTL in Combat is even more stressful, because you are using a lot of power. Some ships can be set up to already have the power diverted(Like the Kevish). But Combat hyperfold jumps are risky. You give away your position, as well as where you are going(It is a lot of energy being thrown about) Giving your enemy time to predict where you ship is going. But in space combat that is a lot more going on then just lasers and plasma conduit explosions.

But typically a hyperfold jump is a stressful event. I also do not like to undersell FTL. They are important. Not just some back ground thing. With out FTL drives we would have no setting, so in general I take them seriously.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back