• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Space Shanties?

Define "shanty". It will definitely be a given that slums exist on planets, such is economy. Or perhaps you were referring to "ghetto" orbital stations, such as pirate trading ports and salvaged starbases?

Shanty as in song, like sailors would sing to either pass the time or help keep cadence when pulling sails. Like this one:
but more modernized for the futuristic time.

Ah. That will definitely be a given, earlier FTL journeys were always mind-numbing trips of week to month-long duration. Head to a black market port and visit a pub, shanties will start flowing along with the alcohol in no time at all.

Eucharis and some of the other starships have a ship song, which is sort of like that.

I've written several, recorded one (for a scenario in a plot) that never got used, and am planning on recording more later this year for Service to The Free State.

If I had more free time, there'd be SARP album of spacefarer folk songs.

Saw this thread and decided to try my hand. Hopefully I'm not a terrible songwriter! I'll also check my
Campfire Book for tunes that can be repurposed.

------------------------------------------

Welding armour with lazzzzorrrs,
Watching for leaks in the hull
Blasting debris with Mazzzers,
protecting my erst-while hoooome~

CHORUS:
I am a space traveler, a mighty man is me.
I am a space traveler, exploring all there is to see!
You are a space traveler, so wonderfully free.
You are a space tra-ve-leer, still can't drink like he!

Scanning for va-lu-ables,
for money is beer to my mind.
Keeping the reactor stable,
as nuclear explosions are not kind!

CHORUS

I should chuck the stowaway to the brig,
but thee airlock is too handy
I should check our makeshift rig
and make sure it's dandy!

CHORUS X2

-----------------------------------------------------

Bad? Good? Needs work? Critique, Comments, Concerns?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back