• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Submission Sperion Mini-grenade

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
Sperion Mini-Grenade

While the Elsysians were developing grenade launchers and grenades for their infantry it came to some of the designers minds that it might be interesting to create a far smaller grenade, more easily transported and concealed with a subsequent reduction in firepower. As such the Sperion mini-grenade was designed.

The mini-grenade is a sphere around 1.8 inches in height and diameter – very close in size comparison to a golf ball. At the ‘top' of the sphere there is the pin – the grenade is ‘active' once this pin is removed. There is a four second delay between pulling the pin and its explosion, and they can be thrown around 40 metres. All of the grenades are mostly white, but with a band around it to reveal what variety it is.

There are three forms of mini-grenade:

1, Fragmentation:

These contain a mixture of Octanitrocubane (which reacts at above 9,400 m/s and is between 20 and 25 times more powerful than HMX) and carbon boride fletchettes – the combination of the two creating an explosion with a lethal radius of 18 metres and a risk of injury of up to 300m around the point of impact. This grenade has a thin red band around it.

2, Gas:

This grenade does not actually explode but releases potent gas – a combination of dibenzoxazepine and trace amounts of carfentanil. Thus result is a gas which can cause intense irritation of the skin, temporary blindness, coughing, panic and unconsciousness. This grenade will incapacitate, but not kill, in a ventilated or open space – but in a closed space there is a chance that the target may die without medical assistance. The area of effect has a diameter of 3.45 metres. This grenade has a thin green band around it.

3, Smoke screen:

This version of the grenade also doesn't explode, but rather releases terephthalic acid into the surrounding area, creating a thick smoke screen which can be used for numerous tactical purposes. Unlike other smoke screens terphthalic acid is not particularly irritant – it can cause some redness to the skin and eyes as well as a cough, but compared to the caustic effects of hexachloroethane it is relatively harmless. The area of effect for this grenade is ten metres cubed, although it is greater in a non-ventilated space. This grenade has a thin white band around it.

The grenades can be carried in pockets or in a specially made bandolier.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The effects of the grenades, specifically the smoke and fragmentation ones seem to me to be too large. If they are reduced, I would go with approving these guys.

I'm unsure about the gas volume issue, but otherwise, Vesper has a pretty accurate assessment going. I'd decrease the frag grenade's radius to at LEAST 200 meters, but preferably 150 meters for shrapnel effects.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back