• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Sprites as a main character?

larpking

Inactive Member
Helo everyone, i was just wondering: sinse I want to get started as quickly as possible, would it be allowed to take advantage of a ship's damage to allow it to "accidentally" produce a sprite as a result of a malfunction? the reason I'm asking is that apparantly, they used to be manufactured before battles to help stock up on crew, and then were re-absorbed, but now tht the law has made reabsorbing illegal, I was wondering if I could take advantage of the eucharis' damage on ship, and use those sprite production fascilities as a way to get my character into the action immediately.

Sigma said:
That is a question Wes should answer. He's the Eucharis GM and Yamataian Faction Manager and Site Owner and... well, in charge of everything here.

Not to be arrogant, but let me rephrase that for you.

Sigma said:
I would like to answer your question, but I don't really know the answer. Wes, you know this type of stuff, help!

lol

edit: coolio, sexy girl for posting.
edit2: hopefully you get that this is a joke.

No I actually do not find that to be a good joke, nor is it funny in anyway. Being a smart-aleck when I give you an answer and a direction to pursue does not engender good feelings. So, don't expect anymore help from me.

I'm sorry aendri, but you don't understand.

Clarification: I would like to save character-creation time (approval time is seperate entirely) by simply going with a sprite. to explain how this is even possible, eucharis' damage, in addition to frying half the electrical systems, also damaged the main computer, making it start spewing out sprites. my sprite was one of the lucky few who didn't come out physically maimed, and the only one who wasn't corrupted, or at least, the only one that wasn't born mentally retarded due to incorrect and corrupt pre-programming. Is this allowed?

Like I said. No. And yes, I do understand what you're asking. I'm a character mod, and have to know. No, the Eucharis will not make more sprites. It will wait for it's plentiful engineering crew to do the work.

Sprites are considered to be a Non-Playable Character. Only the GM/Co-GM are allowed to play them, because they are only temporary. What you are asking to do, is essentially what a PLAYER CHARACTER does. So you're better off creating a PC.

If you've read through the Eucharis posts, you'll probably notice only a FEW instances where a non-GM player has RP'd a sprite, but this is only temporary and done with Wes's permission.

alright, so basically the best (from my proposed situation's perspective) possible outcome would be where the computer simply takes a bullet and starts spitting out defective sprites.

Thanks. working on my character now. should have it by sunday!

edit: is Gem or Jewel a good name for my neko?
edit2: *facepalm* WHY am I still thinking of sprite names? *double facepalm* just found the neko generator, this will speed up my creation by about half an hour.

Sprites have been made PCs before, but for good reason: There was no other way to accept new players onto a ship.

The likelihood of a Yamataian military vessel producing defective sprites, however, is zero. You won't get far there.

If you would like, PM me when your character is ready and I'll take a look. I'm head character reviewer for Yamatai, so I can give you a good bead on whether you're headed in the right direction.

If you want to design a sprite-style neko, I might be interested in adding her to to the crew, but not through a computer malfunction. First, what's the general concept you're going for?

I wasn't really going for any concept... unless "character approved in under 6 hours" counts as a concept.

the whole point behind me picking the malfunction was simple: as a computer geek, I try to tinker with computers as much as I can, I have screwed up capacitors befire, and one time I fried the entire fricken' motherboard doing this. don't ask me how, but after I repaired it, the computer technician told me little more than what I already knew: it smelled like burnt bacon and if I ever wanted my computer working again, I needed a new motherboard, five hundred dollahs for the labor of fixing your machine please. the idea is that, instead of capacitors, it's anti-electrons (positrons) that fried parts of the computer, such that it screwed up the programming, and all nekos that came out mamed wouldn't have even been born if that part of the program weren't malfunctioning.

We don't have Neko manufacturing down that clearly.

See here, and here.

We've had Neko with emotional issues and such in the past, but straight-out defective production doesn't happen. But it sounds like you could get in with a sprite Neko made by the ship your character ends up on, so that could be your "concept."

aww, pudge

today, when I normally check my e-mails (I do it every other day), my internet was down. I just checked my e-mails; I have realized that my honors project started yesterday. I chose precisely the wrong time to get involved with this nice, long-term fun little community.

Please excuse me while I go research for the class debate, whilst at the same time derping.

As a player, my advice to you is this: Make things easy on yourself. I've seen too many players try to do unconventional things and make unconventional characters. That's all good and fun, but for your first character I would recommend going simple and easy. Don't worry about approval time, if you do things right, it shouldn't take long anyways. As for waiting to get into the action, don't worry about that either. So maybe you have to wait a week, a month later it won't matter anyways.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back