Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Character [SPS7 Scythe] Harry Rhodes

Okay, I've looked this over in a bit more depth and I have the following questions:
  • Where'd you get the Guyamese LF from? It might just be a case of my lore not being totally complete (whose is, when the setting is 10x larger than Faerun?) but I don't recognize it.
  • In an era of modern medicine, something like Mantell's disease strikes me as something that some groups (alien or Nepleslian) might have a cure for.
    • Aeon Geneworks, one of the plot's primary antagonists, is a medical corporation trying to weaponize Francia's natural strange biologicals. Perhaps one of his character goals would be finding or procuring a cure via the experimental Francia mutagens?
Lastly and most importantly, have you read, and do you agree to my GM Expectations/Terms of Service (located as a link on the Scythe page)? I require this as a vetting process for all my players, as it allows me to tell better stories and vet the players who apply to my plots so that they understand what I expect out of them, and what they can expect out of me. It is very, very very very important that you understand that I run plots a little more brutally than most GMs, and you wouldn't be the first player to bow out after reading them. It takes a certain sort of person to willingly allow their characters to be harmed, or to suffer (potentially ill) effects from their choices and actions.

For instance, one of the characters, Zoia, decided to go on the internet in a burlesque manner - she got abducted by a sex slavery ring and we had to save her. Something similar happened to another character; one of the other characters has been severely injured. And so on. I don't feel the need to put training wheels on my plots.

They look scary out of the gate, but they're there so that I can run the campaign with more tabletop elements (bad things can happen to your characters, setting consistency is maintained, player disagreements can be swiftly solved) and are non-negotiable as a result. Make sure you know what you're signing on for. I will work with you, give you the best stories I can tell, and give you as much power as you want within that story, and I avoid railroading people at all costs, but in return, I also ask you to give me a little more trust than most plots require - your choices in these plots will have consequences, and as a GM, I'm tasked with representing the setting you're working in. I want to represent it as best I can, so that you can get the best interactive experience from it possible.

As long as the ToS is understood, and if you could consider my suggestions as to your character, we shouldn't have any problems at all.

Last edited:
I just made the Guyamese LF up on a whim as kind of a background NPC deal. If that's not allowed and acceptable, I'd of course be happy to find a better option from the Wiki. (Perhaps somebody could throw me some recommendations?) It's not a big deal to me at all. :D

And Edto Xar'Sivaree (I had to copy and paste that name. Wow, what a mouthfull!) asked me about Mantell's Disease already in a PM, and my answer then was as follows; "I did figure that medical science had evolved to the level of curing cancer. I haven't really given it amy deeper thought, but off hand I would probably say its incurable because it spreads and keeps spreading to other parts of the body to the point where even if you cure it your organs would be worthless and irrepairably damaged after the experience."

This, and/or that there will always, kind of like with heavy metals, be residue particules of the carcinogen (in this case from the chemical weapons agent) in your body which would be incredibly hard to flush out from every corner of the body. So it'll lie there and continue to poison the body until the cancer returns, first to your blood, then through that to your lungs, and from there to the rest of the internal organs.

That's my thought off the top of my head anyway.

Now, that's not to say there's not any way to cure the disease, only that there's no way that Rhodes has any access to, at least at the time. Edto suggested that government agents have a brain spider, but that's not something that Rhodes would even consider relying on to safe his life, so that one goes out the window. However, the mutagens of Francia that Aeon Geneworks work on might be an interesting option for a subplot for Rhodes at some point.

And again - I'm not unreasonable and everything I just said is completely up for discussion, of course.

I completely missed the Terms of Service, but I have read them and can say with 100% certainty that I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with them. And if the worst should come to, I will do what I can to make my character die in the most badass way possible, but without any protests as to his ultimate fate.

Well, we could have fun with it and say that it was something that you got exposed to - typically, background NPC factions don't really require a lot of backstory or fleshing out unless they turn into some sort of hardcore plot point, to my understanding, so the background's fine and I just wanted to ask after it.

He seems like a good stand-alone character, with believable goals and a reasonable backstory and personality. I'd recommend changing the place he fought a civil war into one of the unused planets of Nepleslia (there's plenty on the NW frontier), and that should do it. Nepleslian healthcare is great for the Nepleslians that can afford it; it's a libertarian's paradise, from everything I'm heard, and the results vary from planet to planet. It's quite possible that he simply wouldn't have had access to the cure in nowhereville where he fought.

As to a glorious death, I typically avoid character deaths where I can, so that shouldn't be a problem; common misconception. I'm not bloodthirsty, I just think stacking the odds makes for more entertaining and meaningful struggles. It does cause a bit of stress for some people, but I think that's OKay; if you're getting into the writing like that, isn't that why we RP? Well, that's my thoughts anyway.

We can work out the exacts of Mantell's Disease in further discussions. I'll PM you some contact details for everyone.

Preliminarily, as GM of Scythe, I approve this character. Good to have fresh blood on SARP, and I'm happy you're interested in our plot.

Thank you, sir!

Changed the planet of the war to Typhoon in the Red Sky system; I hope that's an ok choice. I am very excited to get started. Do I jump in on the latest thread, or do I wait until a more opportune moment presents itself ICly? :D

RPG-D RPGfix
Back