• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: SSS [SSS] Extending the hand of Science

Kouan and Takara moved out of the way, and started walking down the hallway. As Kouan did he could feel the change in the Tansaku as it lifted off the ground. "I am not surprised to hear that the Nepleslians offered a skewed view of Yamatai.

I was originally born a Nepleslian before there was a Yamatai. I'm sure that my former countrymen painted a bleak picture of Yamatai. Did they happen to mention the extinction of the Cattle Woman to feed the early colonies? Our how Nepleslia is a hot bed of corruption and drugs.

No government is perfect Saia. Yamatai has made its share of mistakes, just as Nepleslia has. It is what they do after those mistakes. The formation of the SSS is in part such a change. Prior to its formation, almost all interaction and studies of new races was handled by the military. Sometimes with unfortunate consequences. Now once first contact has been made, the SSS is dispatched to learn about the species, and help both parties to better understand each other to prevent them from happening again."

Kouan activated the lounge door and stepped in. The entire front wall of the room was a ceiling to floor window that ran the length of the room. "Here we are, the best view on the ship."

Saia shook her head. "No they did not mention any of that. The Nepleslians avoided talk of their flaws. My government knows better however, and we were inclined to to form our own opinions of others."

"We all make mistakes. My people are no different."

Saia stepped into the room and immediately began looking around, her claws clicking on the deck with each step. "Your ship is work of art. I am sure you military is formidable, we are doing this to learn from your cultural strengths." She said calmly. "We are building a colony, and after seeing the images of your home world, we are utterly awe struck by your culture.

"I will be sure to pass along your comments to the designer. I am sure she will be pleased to hear you say that. Takara and I were both very involved in the design of this class of ship. We wanted something that combined function with aesthetics. And since the crews of these ships spend a good part of their time traveling back and forth, this lounge was considered essential for good morale, and it makes a great way to view a new world.

Not all our worlds are as developed as Yamatai. Daichi where we came from and where the SSS does most of its work from because of the war. It is still mostly wilderness. There are only a few communities at present. The SSS actually was the first settlers of Daichi, and we used it as a way of testing new ways of building, and developing a colony." Kuoan walked up to the window, looking out at the landscape.

"Which way should we head Saia." He asked.

"Head to these coordinates." Saia said showing her data pad. "The main city as you can see is vast. It spans thousands of square miles, not including the areas that go under ground. Mega cities like this are common on my world. Our best bet would be to look around out side just out side of the city. There is plenty of space there.

Scans from the Yamataian ship would give viable feed back showing that this city was indeed thousands of years old, with other parts being much newer. The areas around the city were rocky, but there was a vast salt flat on the south side.

"It is a marvel of engineering. The ships my people have made are mostly refits from non-combat models. A few of them are geared specifically for combat, but this is a reminder of mistakes from the past. Too much militarization, too many wars...and then us having to rebuild." Saia sighed at the mention of a world full of green.

"I read reports from archaeologists, and biologists as a child. This world WAS incredible..."

"Well, perhaps sometime you can come to Daichi to visit. We will have ships making regular runs back and forth. And perhaps once we are established and working together we can look at how to help repair your world's ecosystem." Takara offered.

Once the science vessel cleared the city, a volumetric display came up showing the terrain and what was detected beneath the ground

"I would like that very much" Saia said calmly. "Seeing other worlds was something I always wanted to do, but I got posted to city operations due to lack luster testing on my part."

Once the volumetric display came up Saia quickly went back to being professional. She loomed over it and began observing the image in front of her. "Hmm, lets put you here..." she said bringing her claw forward to a region on the west side of the city. "It is a flat region and will allow you to be autonomous but still with in walking distance of the city's out skirts. "This will put you at some distance from the Governing districts, but with your ships, and out sky cars it should be no trouble."

"Do you have information about the substrata? Are there water sources?" Kouan asked.

"We could always see about deploying a MOLE and see what we find under the surface." Takara offered.

"Saia, we probably will not use the starships to visit the city proper, we will use either ground vehicles, or shuttles for local transportation. If that is agreeable to your people." Kouan replied

"Yes." Was Saia's response to the inquiries. All of them respectfully were largely yes. "The city was built ontop of an under ground water supply which enabled the city to flourish during the nuclear winters that followed the war of light. As far as using our air vehicles for travel we most certainly can lend you anything you may need."
Saia looked at the monitor. "I am granting you access to our global computer network at with a level two clearance level. That clearance level will enable you to access government scientific surveys, as well as allowing you to communicate with the greatest scientific minds on Shara as you see fit. You can also access all available data on Shara's atmosphere, and The new worlds of Gamjie, Nuoa. Actually Nuoa has a significant scientific find on its surface.

"As far as what limitations for research, short of killing a Gartagen and cutting him open, or blowing up the planet, You have full disclosure to conduct your observations and research as needed."

"Well, Saia-san once we setup our compound out here, we will deploy what we call a MOLE. Its a system that drills through the ground, and gathers resources. We will use to get a better understanding of what is beneath us.

Of course if we find any significant resources, they belong to your people. But having the unit down there will let us examine the strata of this area." Kouan relied.

Saia held her clawed hands up. "We would be willing to allow your people the opportunity to make a little money off of any findings. Science is a wondrous thing but it is not free" She said reassuring her guests that the Union was not interested in hogging the benefits of any of these scientific ventures.

"But we should focus on getting the compound set up." She said softly. "How many personnel can we expect to inhabit this facility?"

Kouan looked at Saia, "We are prepared to setup a facility to handle 112 personnel to start with. With further shipments we will expand the site to handle a rotating staff of about 300 personnel, which includes support personnel, scientists, researches and technicians."

He paused and pulled out his datapad and showed an image of what the proposed site would look like. The image looked like one of the main nine segment buildings of the Campus on Yamatai.

"This is what the main structure will look like when finished. We'll prepare a very basic landing site for our ships to come and go with supplies, exchanging personnel. Once the we get the site prepared it will take use approximately 30 days to complete construction."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back