Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

[SSS] Osmiridium

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
Submission Type: Starship Armor
Submission URL: Osmiridium

Faction: Yamatai
FM Approved Yet? Yes

Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: While working on a couple of civilian designs, I found that there was not a non-proprietary, or military medium armor that Geshrinari Shipyards and the SSS could use for manufacturing.

Re: [SSS] Osmiridurium

Is there anyway to reduce the amounts of syllables in that name.

I mean no offense... but as a GM if I would use that in a plot, I would feel slightly ridiculous writing out a 5-syllable word like that. I don't feel it needs to draw from its three sources verbatim like that.

I also think you should throw durandium out of that equation.

In deference to Fred, I have removed one syllable from the name, and removed the durandium but added aluminum which is the primary component of durandium

Just one syllable less makes it a less awkward word to use in the roleplay, I think.

Thanks for attending to my nitpick. :)

I'm okay with an element that could be treated as heavier armor without being tied to a yamataium allow. Osmium is also plenty tough. I'd recommend this for approval.

Maybe I'll work on a heavy some day, but for now I only need Medium

I know I'm not one of the techie guys that can approve or disprove submissions here or anything-- I'm not even sure if i'm allowed to even make comments. :?

I just thought I should mention that Osmiridium (also known by Iridosmine when the ratio of iridium to osmium is greater) is in reality already the name for a set of naturally occurring alloys combining the two metals, Osmium and Iridium -- though the ratios mixing the two metals can vary.

Whilst they are two real, very dense metals and could probably be utilized as starship armor (which is probably why you picked them) -- because its naturally occurring I don't know whether you could say the SSS invented it or that the Geshrinari shipyards are the only ones allowed to produce the material.

The reason why I know this is because I was planning on making the Kagami system i've got as a work-in-progress have asteroid fields with a high osmium and iridium content (which does tend to occur in asteroids, and on Earth these metals are rare, but can be found at the sites of meteor impacts).

Its the method of manufacturing this type of material. As for other people making materials out of Osmium they are welcome to do so. And if you notice, Osmiridium as the SSS make it contains aluminum to counter the brittle nature of the two other substances.

As for the name, it is not longer considered a valid name IRL.
More recently, the Nomenclature Subcommittee of the Commission of New Minerals and Mineral Names, International Mineralogical Association has declared the mineral names Osmiridium and Iridosmine invalid and to be replaced by Iridium and Osmium, respectively.

As a side note, originally the name for this was longer and at Fred's request I shortened it. It was only after I had done so that I found out there had been a substance by that name, but it was no long used.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back