• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Star Army Fire Suppression Foam

what about self-oxidizing materials? how does it stop those, since starving them of oxygen won't put out the fire.

Wouldn't this be just as dangerous as the current water based fire fighting system Yamatai uses if not more so?

Explosively expanding foam would scatter the flaming material it hits, pushing it around from the point of impact just like what would happen when water is used to put out an oil fire.

I would also think that a few cubic centimeters of the material would fill a room entirely with a 1:100 ratio of expansion.

(Edit: Also, 1 cubic meter is = 100,000 cubic centimeters for a ratio of 1:100000)

FOAM

F - Fire
O - Oxygen
A - Asphyxiation
M = Medium
I think this section and some of the other ones could use some more explanation. Also I'd like to see an answer to Kai's question.

Also, what about some sort of endo-thermic reaction so the foam also "cools as it coats?"

Okay,

I have explained the acronym section. Also I have amended the expansion, it is still 1:100, but the result is obviously less. Thanks to Uso for pointing out my math error.

Based on the nature of FOAM, it would be completely effective against most Class D fires, and against self-oxidizing fires, it would slow it down briefly, but once the foam reacted it would loose its effectiveness.

This causes the liquid to turn into a foam and expand explosively.

This would cause any burning material to be thrown away from the point of impact of the foam, causing secondary fires. This makes it dangerous to use against most type of fires (D included) including pretty much everything but electrical fires.

Though being able to be used against Electrical fires is a step up from the current system which is dangerous to use against any fire except some of class A.

Uso, keep in mind that the article states that the FOAM reacts at temperatures of above 100 degrees Celcius, which means that the reaction would start before the FOAM would come in contact. It would still throw flaming materials, but since in comparison to the fire, the force of the reaction would be pushing away from the person with the extinguisher. So it will still throw materials, like you said, but only within about a 100 degree angle.

So it would be effective for fires that are in corners, more enclosed space, etc. But that's just my take on it, I may be wrong.

Heat doesn't instantly transfer, in almost all situations the foam will reach 100c only once it is in or on the flaming material at which point the explosive expansion will cause it to fling burning material in all directions, including directly at the person using the fire extinguisher. Depending on the material this can also cause an outright explosion.

Even proper technique won't help in this case because the explosive expansion can only occur in the fire.

I think what Uso is so uneloquently attempting to say, is that "Explosively" is not the proper word to use in this situation.

Okay, I reworded removing the term explosively. But that the process was rapid. So no it will not be flinging stuff around.

As for how quickly the heat will transfer, its not really relevent. A simple wood fire generates temps from 450 - 1200 degrees F. The gasses around the fire 200°F to 400°F

As soon as the foam starts to enter the area near the fire it is going to start to warm up. When it hits the actual fire, the foam will start to cover the combustables. Also you are implying that all the foam is going to some how pool in one area and react. It is going to be spread over the area, and just touching the burning material is going to start to affect the fire, because it will lower the temp as the FOAM starts absorbing the heat. And because as you said the transfer of heat is not instaneous, not all the foam is going to react at the same instant. So there would be no explosive force to throw stuff around.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back