Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [Star Wasp] 3: Making Money, Beds, Dates.

• Thread starter Thread starter Zack
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zack

ON, Palace, 188604>

shortly after the Necromancer left for I'ee space

"Aaron!" Vier called out, the woman swiftly walking towards him, still clad in the grey outfit from earlier. "I am having a problem that I believe you could help me with."

The newly appointed ruler of 188604 was talking to a group of locals including the leaders of his short-lived rebellion not far from where the meeting took place. He looked a little better than before, but still appeared somewhat weary. He almost yelled back at her to come back later as he turned to see who was speaking. Instead he stopped when he saw who it was. "Vier, was it? What's the problem ma'am?" He said curiously, not really sure what he could do to help.

"Yes," She replied. Pausing for a slightly awkward amount of time before continuing. "Uso has requested I provide the spacers with U238 and U235 separated out from the local material. Your planet contains it in the ground in useful amounts but I do not have the labor capabilities to handle this level of task. I wanted to use your people to help move dirt into the separator that is being constructed but paying them is proving to be problematic. Though funds for the payment are available, these people have no accounts to transfer those funds to. Then there is the problem of paying them fairly as both Belflower Notes and Davis Dollars are not usable currency in this area so using them as payment would be decidedly unfair."

"I can print up the needed banknotes to pay so long as equal amount is invested in the import bank." Another voice piped across the ruins of the palace. The Sheriff poking her head around the corner to actually be a part of the conversation... She'd been unsubtly keeping an eye on Grant ever since the meeting ended. Clearly suspect of a surrendered enemy. "Payment issue isn't a problem."

Aaron looked to the new voice to see who was speaking now. The strange girl that had been watching him suspiciously, Uso's Sheriff. "Import bank? Right, you've been printing money. I suppose you're going to be running the bank, then? Our currency was backed by gold before you guys showed up. I would like for us to eventually move to Nepleslian currency, but your idea sounds good until that is feasible."

"My money is nepleslian money. It's just printed out in notes trade able at the import bank. The DA is electronic, so I just print up an amount equal to what I spend on goods to be traded. My sheriffs buy food, drink, crop stocks. That sort of thing." Arccos explained, her head the only thing visible around the corner still. Eyes suspiciously squinting to watch the locals and Vier.

Vier would wait for the two of them to finish talking before turning her attention to Aaron, "Is this acceptable as a fair deal?" She asked, sounding as if she genuinely required Aaron to make such a determination.

--

The thud of combat boots could be heard down the hall. Cyrus walked up, a cigar held between his lips. "Looks like a party, and I didn't get an invite..." He said smiling. He looked to Arccos. "What did I walk into?" He asked walking up to the group.

"Vier's talking about paying the locals with Arso-- Aaron Grant. But they don't have anything which can handle electronic DA." Arccos explains, letting Cyrus pass to get to the others.

Cyrus stopped and shot her a look, as to say. 'Not the time.' He then smiled. "Well, that is quite the issue isn't it? We really need to figure out a temporary fix, until we get everyone up to speed." He said pondering aloud.

"Already got a patch fix. You're on the Usotzan twenty, Cyrus." Arccos said, producing one glove holding a banknote from around the corner. The thing was on local materials, stained in Algaeia green ink. A big number 20 on it, with a rather flattering picture of Cyrus... Shirtless. But flattering.

Cyrus looked puzzled, then red as he saw that he was shirtless on the bill. "How the hell did you get...?" He was about to ask, then sighed. "Damn it Arccos..." He said handing the bill back.

"I needed something to attract women to the cause." Arccos said stuffing the note back into a roll of bills "We can talk designs later."

Cyrus thought for a moment. "Arccos...how did you know about all the scars and where they were...?" He asked glaring at her.

"I've seen you shirtless." Arccos just said matter of factly. Like it was no big thing.

"I have never taken my shirt off infront of you... Or any Ragnarock members..." He answered. "You gonna have to do batter than that." Cyrus added.

"Not in front of us, no. But you have removed your shirt." Arccos shrugged.

Cyrus frowned. "Stop spying on me, or I will have Raph stalk you." He said

If anything, Arccos seemed baffled by the idea that Raph wasn't already stalking her. But no more of this banter continued. Another topic was at hand.

--

Aaron ignored the conversation between Arccos and Cyrus. He thought about the arrangement and nodded in agreement. "That is acceptable for the moment I think. I'm not sure the people would understand digital currency just yet. I'm having a hard time myself."

"Digital currency is inevitable." Vier said, pausing for a moment before adding. "We will need to provide education and training to your people regarding those systems eventually. Maybe if we were to back the new currency with both Gold and DA we could use Arccos' paper notes for the time being? This would also require setting up a central banking authority and anti-counterfeiting protections. We would then need distribution, security, artists...." Vier would seem to be veering off course a bit, finding that in order to setup an appropriate system that would fit her requirements for fairness... they would have to ALSO setup an entire banking and educational sector for the city.

Arccos slunk out from behind her secure corner, stepping in to the conversation proper and looking down her nose at Aaron for a few moments. She then looked over to Vier and put a hand on the quarter of the collective's shoulder.

"We're working on temporary fixes here for now, how about we just use what's working to keep things running. Everything else we can work out later over lunch or something."

The strange looks Arccos kept giving him were starting to annoy Aaron. He thought it was because she considered the locals to be barbaric or maybe beneath her, not because she suspected him of burning down part of the city. "She is right, Vier, we don't need to solve all of our problems right now. We'll deal with that when it's more pressing. Right now, people will be fine with paper currency. The Sheriff's people will deal with the counterfeiting issue for now. Though I doubt anyone else will be able to print fake money for a while." He said with a glance at Arccos to make sure she was okay with his proposal.

Arccos just gave Aaron a little thumbs up to give approval to what he'd just said. If she was looking down on him, she at least seemed to respect his opinions to some degree. His filthy barbaric dirt dwelling opinions.

"Very well. I will pay your people with paper currency for the time being." Vier established, before turning to Arccos, "If Aaron can help me round up enough people to keep the separator going all night, we should have the first of your U238 rods by morning."

"You work fast." Arccos gave a little grin, clearly impressed.

Aaron looked around for a moment until he located the Merchant and the Procurer. He waved them over to discuss acquiring a labor force.

In the sunlight, the two were much easier to see. Both were fairly well rounded in figure, though while the merchant was more of a portly fellow, reasonably well dressed for 188604... the Procurer was more built. If he had been a Nepleslian, no doubt he would have grown into something much more massive... but instead due to the limited nutrition on this planet he was only about 5 foot 8... tall for the locals but easily overshadowed by their alien 'friends'

"What do you need from us?" The merchant asked.

"And what do we call YOU now... President? Supreme Leader? King?" The procurer added.

That wasn't really something he had considered until now. He was more concerned with restoring some semblance of normalcy. "You can just call me Aaron for now. If you insist on a title, though, President is good. Once everything is in order we'll have an election." Aaron said, almost forgetting what he called them for. "That is a matter for another time. Right now, our new friends need some men who can work a machine to separate out something from raw ore. I'm not sure how many people they need or how difficult the machinery is to operate. But they are going to pay in the Sheriff's currency. You can talk money with Miss Vier." He gestured towards the woman.

"How many people do you need?" The merchant asked.

"480 workers, arranged 20 men in 10 minute shifts, rotating out shifts for the entire day in blocks of 120 workers and 6 hours." Vier explained, "They will need to be working at top speed to fill the separator with dirt...." The group quickly devolving into discussing the specifics of when, where, and how.

Aaron waited for them to finish going over the details to request a few things. "Miss Vier, I have a few requests for Uso. We need a shield generator, or maybe several small ones, to protect the city from another storm. I also need some of your body armor and guns for the militia, nothing fancy, just anything better than we have here. If the rebels attack again, we have to be prepared. We need a place for the government to meet, most of the old buildings are pretty much ruins. The Palace might as well be torn down. It's just a reminder of the mob that tried to kill Uso. The people definitely won't miss it."

"I have what few gunsmiths were left in the city working with my men. They're learning, but it's taking time. Talk with them for what they've got" Arccos chimed in, "We can also import, but that'll come at cost and I'm spending a good deal outfitting my lawmen. You'll probably have to talk with Uso about importing from state surplus funds to arm your men. I'd personally advocate for less government, and less buildings to meet in, but that's not up to me in any way... So. Yes."

That was a statement Aaron could agree with. The former government had been growing for years, and that was part of the problem. He nodded in agreement, conceding the point. "Well, we need somewhere for the elected leadership to live and meet with Uso or any other visiting leaders. And also a place for the laws to be decided on. That reminds me.." He looked at Arccos cautiously. "Your lawmen are enforcing the law, but what is the law right now? Are you the one deciding that?"

"Anyone is free to report a crime. The sheriff's department also brings in anyone obviously doing anything wrong. Once they're brought in we put them on trial before the public, and guilt or innocence is voted upon after all evidence is given." Arccos explained, "It's less than ideal circumstances at the moment, but it keeps the peace for the time being."

"That's better than the system the Osmans had. Mostly they'd just shoot people or hang them without a trial. I guess we could use a courthouse and a better jail while we're at it. More importantly we need food and shelter for the people that lost their homes. Some people are living in the ruins of their homes. Seems to be more people resorting to stealing since the storm. Haven't seen one that bad in years." Aaron replied, taking on a somber tone.

"If it makes you feel any better, a proper shield system should protect the city against that level of storm. I can manufacture the system with the proper resources but it will take some time to seperate the metals we need out from the dirt. I will also need to maintain the services of your workers for far longer than originally intended. My understanding is that Uso already has plans to add housing, and we should begin determining who gets the limited amount of houses that will be made avalible. Eventually there will be enough for everyone, but it will not start that way." Vier said.

"The old courthouse is presently headquarters for the Brigade. It's pretty unrecognisable, but it's standing. I figured it was best to not have justice resemble anything the Osmans dealt out." Arccos pointed out, "And before everything went down we'd already gotten together work crew rosters, and started to rebuild. Pretty sure most of them are dead now, after what happened in the palace. Less housing needed at least"

Aaron nodded. "You're right, which is why we need the new courthouse.. But that should wait until the homes are rebuilt. The main issue then is feeding everyone. Why not offer housing and food to everyone who assists you and their immediate family for the duration, Vier?" He asked. "No more than two adults and two children to a house. Don't want people taking advantage and claiming to be related just to get food." He trailed off, then looked at Arccos. "Can you get your guys to try and gather everyone somewhere? Tell them what we're offering. If that doesn't work offer free alcohol. I think it's time we talked directly to the people. Some of them don't even know who Uso is. Her problem is everyone fears her. She's just some alien figure in metal armor, a bogey woman. I want to show them we aren't so different. I can get the people to love her."

"Circulating such information through paper hand outs would be time consuming and we would not be able to reach everyone. Perhaps we could borrow the speaker systems on the White Lament's junker drones and setup a public PA system?" Vier offered.

"That would imply my junkers wouldn't simply terrify everyone into hiding again." Arccos scratched the side of her nose in thought. There was no itch. "Last time they were in the city proper, they tried to capture people to throw them in the grinder... How about... If I print out the handbills, they can just be dropped over the city by Cyrus' aircraft. I think they have loudspeakers as well, and they'd be far less alarming. They'd be covering more ground to begin with, they can reach the other cities around the Algae sea quickly, and it spares the junkers to keep working."

"Sooner or later we might want to start selling cheap communicators so we can broadcast right into houses."

"Cyrus' Ragna-chopper was destroyed during the palace incident. The Queen's Slave is busy making runs to sell Algae. That just leaves us with Hahuri's ship. I would expect penitration from air-dropped leaflets to be only about 10-20%. Though more may attend through word of mouth." Vier thought aloud. Vier pausing for a moment before adding, "Uso will also agree to make a speech, if that is part of this request."

"Well, I can do the Junker thing if we have no other options to distribute. Keep in mind that it'll feel a lot like they're forcing them to attend." Arccos looked to think on it, the it being whether or not Uso could be trusted to give a speech. "Can we maybe arrange something where all she has to do is sit there and look imperious? Slather her in gold, silk and glitter, put a crown on her head, have some important people bow to her?"

The idea of Uso giving a speech wasn't quite as terrifying to Aaron. It would be a good idea for Uso to speak, but not in her own words. A speech would need to be prepared ahead of time, Uso would have to be willing to read it, and she would have to seem honest. He realized those three things would most likely never happen. Still, an idea was slowly forming in his head. "Yes, if Uso will read something I write and at least try to act honest. I'm not sure that will be possible, much less believable. Alternatively, you have the technology to create an image that appears real, correct? Would it be possible to create an image of Uso and mimic her voice?" He asked, mostly to Vier but also willing to hear Arccos's opinion judging by his glance in her direction.

"Yes, however that would take fabrication time to setup and everything we have access to right now is being used to refit the White Lament and the I'ee." Vier said, another one of her mentally networked bodies no doubt having to deal with Uso saying she was here to lead, not to read.... "... the best I can promise is that Uso will do her best to conform to your goals in this."

"Which is to say she'll use half her ass." Arccos retorted. "She did well enough to get this far, but she put you in charge because she doesn't want to do the 'ruling' of her own nation."

He sighed and nodded. "I suppose that's the best I can hope for. I've noticed subtlety isn't exactly her strong suit. As long as no one gets killed and she reads half of the speech, it should be fine. I'll do most of the talking, she won't need to say very much." Aaron trailed off. It would be difficult but not impossible. She would hardly be hanging around the planet, pretty much exactly like the royalty. They lived in their extravagant mansions and ate better than anyone in the cities. While the citizens were forced to eat Algaeia exclusively, the royals could afford to keep livestock.

Another nod. "Right, I'll get to work on the speech. Don't use those spider things, I'll get the word to any remaining followers I might have. They should be able to get enough people to show up. I need a week minimum. We can't have a large gathering until Lewis is dead."

"I... Unfortunitly that is not my department. I will need to speak with Cyrus regarding Lewis. Can we meet again tomorrow to further discuss the timeline?" Vier offered.

"Yes, that's fine. Where would you like to meet?" He replied.

"I can locate you through your datapad." Vier responded, "Though, I suppose we will need to distribute pads to everyone for meeting and tracking reasons as well. I will be sure to add that to the agenda and have a distribution plan ready for you by the time we meet tomorrow. I assume meeting here will be satisfactory?"

He noticed the mention of tracking people through the datapads. Had he made the wrong choice by siding with Uso? Either way, it was too late to change his mind. "That is satisfactory, yes. Maybe after that we can talk over dinner." He said with a smirk.

"Of course, Do you have any dietary restrictions I should take into consideration?" Vier responded, as if she were paid to keep track of his details, rather than his personal affections.

Aaron was convinced there was something off about Vier. He couldn't figure out what it was exactly, since he had never met an AI so he had no frame of reference. "Not that I know of, but there isn't much besides Algaeia here, so I can't be sure."

"Then we can discuss food as well. There are neutritional deficiencies here that we could resolve through adding more options into the food supply. I should be able to find some examples onboard Uso's ship." She replied.

Meanwhile, ON Nepleslia>

There were quite a few crappy jobs on Nepleslia for thugs and theives, but for the truely ambitious you had to know where to go and who to ask. In this case, the job Aashi was searching for was being offered way out in the shipping yards. Out here concrete stretched as far as the eye could see in all directions with small yellow lines marking the individual plots. Some had cargo containers, others had ships, the one that Aashi was looking for had a single Taishita heavy freighter that looked only a bit worn down. The front doors left open, with no apparent movement going on outside.

Aashi’s heels touched the concrete with bare thunks and her hips, wide as they were, still had space to sway with the movement of her body as she entered this new section of the shipyard to her. For a few too many go-arounds, she had preyed upon the smaller stalls for the various ships porting on Neplesia, for reasons well beknownst to her. She knew already why they were coming, somehow in her intuitive mind she could pick up the aspirations and leanings of any criminal coming her way. Or going the opposite, as they so often do. She entered the Taishita heavy cruiser's shadow beneath those larger ones of the towering "manning" stations. She walked towards it with her own long shadow pulsing behind her, a reflection of her six foot status elongated to many more.

The palm of Aashi's brown sienna hand pushed lightly against the rivets on the ship, then she encirced one of them with her forefinger during a moment of reflection, looking at the open door, then she decided to do what she hadn't done in a long time, something told her to walk away, to not knock, ask if maintenance was required, steal away to the main consoles after being led throughout the ship for repairs, under the guise of a low rate for major repairs. No, not this time. She concealed her face next to her shoulder, the blue lines on her sienna skin of her cheeks rested on her shoulder as she twisted her ankle away from the ship to bound away, there was a noise. A noise that made her lips open her mouth in surprise. A footstep, was it?

A slight hiss, the sound of metal folding metal... and the familiar humm of an anti-gravity engine was nearby. Just inside of the ship was a bed. On that bed was a woman sprawled out, half under the covers, a hoodie and jeans laying beside the bed along with pillows that had haphazardly been tossed off. Next to that bed was another one, pristine... blankets and pillows untouched by human hands....

... and next to THAT bed were one hundred more just like it, stretching off into the dark main hold of the ship. Some manufacturing area nearby continuing to pump out more beds while small mechanical floaters moved the new beds to the proper storage areas inside of the ship.

"Well that might be a good sign," she said as she slowly twisted her face back towards the door. The sound had stopped her in her tracks and she moved quickly to face the door fully. She was almost too ready to quickly issue a greeting to who she suspected was to be Uso, an NH-7 best known for her capture of an entire planet, unless you were Aashi. Then she was best known for being the what seemed to be last lead she would ever need to take. But there was no sign of the Neko and nothing she could do but take her first step aboard.

Solemnly, she looked out of the door to the ship and into the sky of Neplesia, wondering when the next time she would see those that had abandoned her here.

Or had they, she wondered to herself. Or had they?

She picked her way through the ship, only to find one room occupied. She let the resting rest until she had taken a survey of the entire ship being occupied and then, finally, went back to the room she had found a sleeping body in.

"Hmmmm," she said.

"MMgnnf......." Uso groaned, the green hair'd woman rolling onto her back and pulling up the blankets, "Crap... You're Assshe aren't you?" She asked, covering her eyes with one hand, her cat ears perking up and swiviling around a bit until the settled in the direction of the machines producing beds.

".... OSHIT!" Uso would bound out of the bed and race over to one of the consoles on the side of the wall, clad only in an overly large T-shirt that just barely reached down to the radiators on her legs. "OFF. STOP. NO. END PRODUCTION." She said sternly, rapidly pressing buttons with one hand as she rubbed her eyes with the other.

Aashi's head cocked to the side as she took in the scene, then she stretched out one leg, her dress' slits along the sides made her whole leg exposed bare. She ran a hand over the teal lines that ran all along her body on her thighs as she looked away, which concealed a sly smile as the image of the center of the meeting of cheeks had become only partially exposed. But now, Aashi always had that image to go to during a bath.

She turned back towards the Neko as soon as Aashi thought she wouldn't be caught seeing the Neko indisposed. She stood straighter, legs closed, knowing what good a first impression could do.

"Aashi Nath, former captain of my own whole sideshow of crime and cruising, doling out bruisings. I'm good at it all, if you want it all, because I've done it for a couple decades. I'm pretty sure you'll want me around, but that's for you to decide, isn't it?"

"So that means you can fly a ship right?" Uso asked, still rubbing her eyes... opening one for a moment. Then closing it.... then waiting a bit longer where she stood. It didn't take a genius to figure Uso was an NH-7 from the distinctive radiator fins integrated into her legs and arms... though that also meant as an older model neko she had to regenerate her Retnas every time she woke up. "Also you're hired. Also Get us in the air. Also, our destination is in my datapad.... which I will be getting for you in just a moment." After another short pause Uso would open her eyes and walk back over to the bed, jumping back into it and reaching over the other side to grab her hoodie, pulling the black fabric on over her head until she was covered down to just above her knees by the warm fabric, her hair and ears getting tucked into the hoodie. "Please tell me you can fly, otherwise you're fired."

"Piloting and flying, yes, something I can do. As a Captain that made their way up the ranks of a very, let's call it an insidious crew, I can tell you I can do anything that goes into or comes out of a ship," she paused, then said, "anything."

While moving towards the hallway out of the bedding machinery room, she looked towards Uso. "I'd like to know if my familiar can come aboard as well as me, I doubt you'll find it to be unsatisfactory. She's clean and versatile in many environments, but doesn't like being cooped up or out of the water too long. See her now," Aashi said and a manta ray-like animal with streaming ribbons floated out from behind her back. "She's a Matai Skyfish."

"Hired then.... and I heard you're a badass pirate and all but I just spent the last 24 hours arguing over the price for this ship and her sisters." Uso would grab the jeans laying on the floor and start pulling them one one pantleg at a time, "Just pretend we did the usual pirate thing. I'm a big, scary, neko that eats babies and you're uh... some... kind of space goat... Rawr... be afraid... don't cross me, good working relationship... and whatever I agreed to pay you." Uso rambled. Even hidden under the hoodie her hair looked a bit disheveled and Uso looked about as tired as a neko could look.

"Do I have to worry about this thing? It doesn't explode or anything right? We've got enough of that already."

"It is attached to me via my DNA and therefor, upon explosion, I would be loosing a genetic structuring of myself. I nor you want it to explode. How much is that pay, for my records? For yours, I'm a space gazelle, but discerning eye, nonetheless."

"... What's... a lot for you people?" Uso asked. "Like... 50k KS a year? Probably shit for someone who used to be a pirate captain but if you handle yourself well I'll cut you in on a percentage of the planet's profits."

"I'm happy with 60k. Let's just say I like even numbers all across the board, the longer the better. Next month we can negotiate adding another couple even numbers to that one. But for now, I accept your offer," she said, shifting her waist as she spoke, "wholeheartedly. Now, the bridge is this way, no?" she extended an arm outward, down the hallway.

"I bought the ship for that thing," Uso replied, pointing over her shoulder with her thumb. The ship's fabrication equipment no longer mistakenly producing a cache of beds. "Not the bridge... I think it's on the top deck? I mean that's where they usually put those things. Top Deck, Front Area."

"That's where I'm going," Aashi said without hesitation and she pushed her self forward, one foot making eac hip twist as she walked the way Uso directed.

"So, Uso," she said as they walked, "it would be nice to know what kind of crew you're working with. What are your numbers and strengths?"

Uso's eyes would linger on Aashi's hips for a bit as she stretched her arms out above her, "Ngggaa..... Numbers? Maybe like 3-4 people I can count on, assorted hangers on, maybe a million or so people who aren't useful who are nearby. Should have a small fleet ready by the end of the month and... like... a lot of missiles. I'll know more about that once the scouts get back from their little forray. We're going to be fighting the NMX, Saving the I'ee, and doing planet-stuff. You've done space combat right? Not just the power armor bits, actual ship to ship stuff?"

"Docking, debilitating, and decapitating, if you want to know. Not many do," Aashi said, "and not many should."

"Is this a morals thing?" Uso asked.

"Is this a weapons systems on a spaceship thing, only? Because it's never just that. When you destroy ships, you destroy lives. You know that, don't you, Uso?"

"Who wants to live forever anyways? Gotta die sometime, what does a few years matter here or there?" Uso replied.

"I know I do," Aashi said, thinking of all that she could collect in that time. All that she could amass. If only she was still on the Devata to do it. To be on a planet, working with the master of said planet, with a few close assets, a potential for a new fleet, and a good amount of missiles was more than she could hope for aside from being back with her crew and a well earned cache. "I hope you do, too," she said as they entered the bridge of the Taishita. "Or else we're both in trouble," she added in a hushed voice.

Uso would pause for a moment, pulling out her datapad to look at the ship's schematics, trying to locate the bridge, "You play it safe then. That doesn't interest me... Also... I think the bridge is this way."

"It could be, but not if you were to go to the Geshrinari Bridge. It's right through here," Aashi guided Uso with her arm extended towards the Geshrinari doors where an intercom and computer panel was on the right hand side of the double pocket door.

Uso held up her datapad... then turned it upside down... then held it a bit to the side. "..... yeah..... ok. You're right." She responded finally, taking Aashi's lead, tossing her datapad over onto the main controls and then slumping down in the captain's chair, "Our destination is on the pad. You just need to get us there..."

"Then that's what I'll do!" Aashi said as she took her place at the helm, left and forward of the captain's chair. She eased her way back into the feel of things and began to take control of the ship after she had sat down in the plush green chair and put on the white restraint straps. She worked on the keyboard and touchscreen for a few moments. She began to move the ship out of altitude after comming in for clearances and getting them and when FTL speeds were set. She lunged over to the security and systems monitoring system and restabilized shields.

"So what's it like having your own planet, Uso?"

"NGha?" Uso asked, having half fallen asleep again, "... it's a lota work. I mean it was fun at first and all... Explosions, sneaking, treacherous politics... now I got to worry about the percentage the bank's trying to tak while financing ships because they want to go through the fuckin banks instead of just letting me pay cash. Normally the setup is part of the fun you know? Now its just work...."

"The bank's always try to take the fun out of everything," she purred, "unless you know how to take the fun out of the banks."

Uso stretched out again, "I've been alive for quite some time. 14 is ANCIENT by my people's standards. The usual stuff just isn't fun anymore... I figure I could just let myself die like most nekos, or I could go bigger... of course, my usual engagements are a month or two TOPS... this one is closer to four months already. Just gotta push through a bit longer... and, well I've never had my own fleet before. Totally going to have to do something with that."

"Totally," she agreed coolly with a half-smile as she boosted up the CFS, which generated continuum distortions in combined field systems to move many times faster than light. "What you are going to have to do with it, is collect millions with it. Enough to feed the banks until they're giving you more than you ever thought you would desire. I believe you can do that, do you?"

Uso waved her hand dismissively, "Money has never been a problem.... shit I mean, it wasn't a problem until recently. Having enough to live well? That's easy. Enough to live stupidly well? Trash hotels, do whatever I want? THAT was no problem. But that was before I buy infrastructure for a planet. Making Payroll, Adding Value... that kinda boring stuff. I've got more money now than I've ever had before but it is also all already spoken for... I need to hire an accountant."

Aashi Nath said, "Well you already hired me for everything but accounting, so you're going to have to do some more head hunting."

"Right, I should have said something about thinking big... Why are you out here anyways? Please tell me it isn't something as mundane as money?" Uso asked.

"More like the nefarious needs of a few of my crew. They needed a few things we weren't able to get elsewhere. I do for my crew whatever I can, so I was doing them the small favor of coming close to Neplesia to buy what they needed for them, but somehow I got taken out before we could make it to Delsauria, the desert world, and, well..." she internally cursed herself for divulging so much so quickly, so she thought to lie her way around the truth, but starting down the road of distrust towards Uso could result in Uso's distrust of her. Aashi saved her lies for the utmost of important times and skirting the issue of what she could only assume was a mutiny was a good idea... or was it, she wondered.

She didn't allow herself to break in speech too long while she thought and said, "So, no, not money. I wanted the simplest of things and it resulted in the worst loss. And that's why you find me with the smallest amount of change in my pockets and the most amount of hope on my face that I can muster.

"Well yeah... but what do you WANT?" Uso asked, clarifying her earlier statement.

"What I want is to keep myself safe in this time without my ship, but more than that, I--" she stopped short as she eyed Uso as she navigated the ship, watching the ease of which the captain sat in her chair and wished for a moment that that could be her. But to betray this to Uso, so early on especially, would be worse than bad. She would only have so many more chances at a fresh start and she wanted this one to stick. To be frank, she wanted that role as Captain again. She wanted to be in charge of more than Uso herself had seen and manage to make a living off of blazing after and taking over those that were weaker than her. But she also had a need to see others do well, too.

Aashi continued, "I want to see those around me prosper. Not one crew member under my watch went without what they earned and more, because I could, and I saw many of my crew members leave when I offered them the ships I stole with them. I saw them come back to me, too, with more riches to share. I want to see that again, here, with you. I want to know if I will, though, if you yourself think you can."

"So just say you want a fleet." Uso said, "Though we're aspirin to be more than just pirates here. I'm not going to fret over single ships or small treasures. We're here to take planets and chart the course of nations. You wanna be an admiral? Fine. We'll see how you play with others. There's plenty of work to be done in getting our I'ee Liberation fleet up and running. You have any NMX experience yet?"

"I have done a good job of not racking up any experience with them, no." Aashi said. "But with you, I am prepared to face them. Now, tell me about the l'ee Liberation fleet."

"We have this ship, two small transports, a Nepleslian Cruiser, and a destroyer." Uso replied, pausing for a moment before adding, "And some fighters and one guy who brought a mech."

"Are they any good at using it?" Aashi asked as she heard they had a mech, always a point of interest. But the rest of the list caught her attention. It was a good list. And world domination was a good plan. It wasn't a better plan to follow around someone that was doing the word dominating, Aashi thought, but that may just be her.

"Oh I hope so. I sent most of them out on an recon mission a while ago. Hopefully they'll make it back instead of having been blown up. We'll see. In the mean time we need to turn this and a planet's worth of sand into something that can fight a professional military. That means recruiting people who understand space combat, people who can build, and people who can organize." Uso replied.

"Of all those things, I understand space combat the best, but that's not always the problem at hand, is it? In the meantime I can help with building and organizing, I'm good at bringing people together, but not like you, I'd assume. Most of that doesn't need to rest on your shoulders though. It seems we're nearly there, de-initiating CFS, and preparing for descent towards atmosphere."

It would be a few hours before the pair would arrive at their destination. As they came towards the planet it appeared brilliantly, its green lakes and oceans shimmering as the light peeked towards them, touching the bottom of the planet and creating a green flash as Aashi looked on at it.

"So this is it," Aashi Nath said. "Quite something."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back