• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

#stararmy/techlab @ irc.sorcery.net

OsakanOne

Retired Member
#stararmy/techlabs @ irc.sorcery.net
A screenlit haven somewhere beneath a swamp of machinery, sticky-notes, cold coffee coffee culture: Welcome to the techlabs. The future is (not) you... | Welcome one and all to the StarArmy/techlabs - ask anything you like and help yourself to coffee.

What is it?

• An IRC channel which those who like to talk tech can lurk or even practice-roleplay their equipment against each other. It should effectively revive the Simulation Chamber sub-forum as somewhere to store logs.

What is it not?

• The TechLabs are NOT an attempt to segregate the tech-minded folk from the rest of the site. Those interested in tech would lurk both channels.

The Tech Labs are also not a plot. This is a semi-IC/OOC non-canon channel.

Why is it?

• [*] It neatly separates tech-talk (which can flood the chat when people get excited) discussion from regular discussion.
    [*] It is Somewhere newer users unfamiliar with SA tech can very easily easily find out those who are familiar and get immediate rapid help with their articles.

What do we need from you?

• Basically? Permission and an official stamp of approval after your final suggestions to make an official channel - ideally telling users in the topic heading to go to #stararmy/techlabs as a link for their tech discussion.

I'm also thinking of setting up some quick rapid-access articles similar to the Power-Armor combat guide I wrote last year with help from many other role-players giving people a basic "technology 101" for when they decide to create their new whatever. Ideally it'd have its own sub-wiki, starting here: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=techlabs

We'll also be talking aesthetics and such, so there'll probably be an art-guide-for-dummies in there somewhere, detailing how to model a simple starship or sculpt stuff in free packages such as GIMP, BLENDER, Google Sketchup and others including how to export your content from DOGA into other packages, though this will probably come later.

Ideally Wes or some other major SA OP needs to be the one to set up Chanserv so the control/ownership permission is identical to #stararmy.

Everything's still up for change at the moment. If you have any ideas, suggestions, comments or corrections, don't hesitate to say anything.

I want to make this work and I want to help the community.

Thank-you for your time.

Have I told you how awesome you are?

Whooza a good tech mod~~?

Oh yes yew awe~ ♥ !!

Why wuv woo~!

*Edit*

>>mfw I'm visualising the sites founder as a slobbering St. Bernard with a crown, rifle and military training
ai.imgur.com_dWs3p.png

Except Aendri isn't a tech mod =p

Regardless, I don't think Wes will have a problem with this. Just the matter of waiting for him to come in and approve :)

This made me laugh.
Anonymous questions people have
Rhubarb [Aug 2011]

Q: How rhubarb work? - anon
A: Rhubarb works via thing A - Osaka
A: Rhubarb works via B. I am clearly correct. Also explosions. - Exhack
A: I think your Rhubarb needs to be more like an A-10. - DocTomoe
A: Rhubarb needs more drills. - Five
A: Rhubards could never work. They're a physical impossibility. Only pickles could work -Uso

I think the creation of such a channel is going to be more complicated than implied. It'll need to be policed, and still represent StarArmy adequately. From the point-of-view of that concern, dividing attention between two channels may not look all that attractive.

Well, the main portion would be the channel. The wiki thing would be entirely optional and more a resource to help the site more than anything.

Its kind of like... We can start with the channel and work as we go until we find a solution that works for all parties involved.

Also seriously, 4 techies talking tech is enough to flood any other conversation out of #stararmy, as we learned a few days ago.

I'm not really interested in adding any new official channels. Likewise my interest in developing a lot of new tech as I feel the setting pretty much has its needs filled.

Should we take that statement to mean, "Stop developing tech" or something similar along those lines?

Wes said:
I'm not really interested in adding any new official channels. Likewise my interest in developing a lot of new tech as I feel the setting pretty much has its needs filled.

At the risk of getting banned, and because Osaka won't do it herself.

Wes, Your needs have been satisfied, and only your needs.

Everyone else? Everyone else has an urge to grow, and make more stuff, and keep pushing boundaries.

A fair point, Osaka. Civvy sector is lacking.

I was thinking of making a series of named Nepleslian universities and a military academy similar to Sandhurst or Westpoint. Since we're neo-Americana, having a Westpoint-like institute seems like the next logical step.

Which is why I acquired several of the civilian companies that had not much going on. So I could work on some civilian tech.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back