• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Starship Propulsion

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Star Army ships "defeat" the conservation of momentum through use of complex asymmetric [peristaltic] electromagnetic/electrostatic/gravitic fields (which function as combined propulsion, defense, and manuevering systems). Momentum (as viewed from an outside observer) is absorbed and redirected by the shields, while the ship technically stays still (relatively) within the pocket of space enclosed by the fields. No acceleration is felt to the ship, although the ship can stop on a dime, literally. The law of conservation cannot be truly defeated and therefore must be avoided through the use of exotic matter/energy and such. The law of conservation of energy cannot be truly defeated but potentially limitless energy can be siphoned off of aether.

Is exotic matter used in a lot of Star Army technology? How is it made?

I have read that is necesary to use Exotic matter to stabalise wormholes, do Star Army ships have the capability to create stable Wormholes, or is it just not an efficient way of travel? When using wormhole technology (as the Fenyaro did), how do you make sure it does where you want it to?

I don't really have any answers for the exotic matter thing at the moment. Sorry. I can tell you, though, that KFY ships generally don't make wormholes; they have CDD and HFS for FTL.

Zack, do you have answers for the wormhole questions? You seem to use them more than anyone. Derran would also be a good source, since his forces use them, too.

Exotic matter is something your going to want to use if you want to hold open a wormhole for a long period of time such as a jump gate between point A and point B, some sort of stationary trade route ect.

how exactly the wormhole is to be created is up to the maker of the wormhole generator but to hold it open you would thread exotic matter through the wormhole and physically stretch it out to the size you want. It is estimated that you would require a planet sized amount of exotic matter in order to do this.

On a side note, exotic matter is just a term for some odd sort of matter yet to be discovered that can be used in this way.

One alternative to producing this amount of matter would be pseudo-matter. The combination of energy fields in such a way can manipulate particles into behaving like matter without actually being the real thing. This requires a lot of energy but is a lot easier to use than creating enough exotic matter to widen a wormhole enough for a ship to pass through.

As for efficiency of travel, any FTL system is going to use an insane amount of energy so worrying about efficiency isn't really something that should come up unless its over a short distance (relatively speaking)

This post is rather vauge on the scientific aspects but I'm running on 5 hours of sleep in as many days....

Exotic matter is something your going to want to use if you want to hold open a wormhole for a long period of time such as a jump gate between point A and point B, some sort of stationary trade route ect.
Do you mean something like an anti graviton? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton ?
If a substance like that existed, and applied a sufficiently strong anti gravitational wave, I suppose it could hold open the throat of a wormhole.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back