• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Station Capable FTL?

Kyle

Insane Story Writer Foxy
Inactive Member
I wanted to touch up this subject before I go and put a station I am making up for submission. I am presently working on a large medical station designed to serve as a relief and medical platform for emergencies, now, because of this it would need to get to places in a timely manner. While it has shuttles to help bring in the wounded, I figure that it possessing an FTL capability would help.

However, my question is; what would be adequete for such a thing? Would such an FTL system even be feasible and would there be an actual size limit?

On one hand, technically speaking as soon as a station is equipped with any meaningful amount of propulsion it becomes a ship.

On the other, I can think of many 'space stations' that can move around quite well, the most notorious of which is the Death Star- it had to get from Alderaan to Yavin somehow! This leaves me asking:

What's the settings definition of a station?

If it is defined as a ship, could the GM lead the players to believe it's a station and pull a plot twist?

I unfortunately don't know the answer to your questions, but perhaps I helped? (Unlikely, but I can hope.)

Most starbases have FTL devices, albeit much slower than starships.

There are also starships that are sized like starbases. These use up the starbase slot on the fleet size restrictions.

On the upper size limit I teleported a planet once, but I think that kinda thing has been phased out of the setting. Large starbases with FTL should be fine but I'd suggest staying away from anything the size of a moon.

Yamatai's big space stations like the Iori and Zodiac types are fully FTL mobile, so there's precedent for it.

For the most part, stations have a much lower absolute speed than most ships, especially plotships, but yeah, there's no problem with them having FTL capacity that I know of.

Most starbases have FTL devices, albeit much slower than starships.

There are also starships that are sized like starbases. These use up the starbase slot on the fleet size restrictions.

On the upper size limit I teleported a planet once, but I think that kinda thing has been phased out of the setting. Large starbases with FTL should be fine but I'd suggest staying away from anything the size of a moon.

So FTL Stations are good so long as they aren't large enough to naturally produce their own gravitational field? That... actually makes a lot of sense, who knows how that gravity field would effect attempts to jump.

From what I picked up while reading the Mihiru, the SAoY had stations that were FTL capable.

Can you direct me to this?

Keep in mind this was from a time long ago where everyone and their mother had access to things like teleportation cannons that moved star-chunks ontop of enemy ships. IIRC it was from when the SMX didn't have a N in their name either.

Also my memory is a bit fuzzy, IIRC this was the 4th major invasion of Ralfaris. The first time it was the Elysians, and we got to see the NDI use power armor for the first time against the infantry that the Elysians landed. The second time was the Jaq'Taah attacking in retaliation for the SAoY joining the 2nd Draconian War on the side of the NDI. They dropped a bunch of torpedoes on the industrial sector of Ralfaris which was protected by heavy shielding... of course the rest of the planet wasn't, and the force of the blast put the planet into a nuclear-winter. The Third time the SMX came knocking, by this point Kai Ashigaru was Admiral of the 4th fleet, completely froze up during the attack, and the Qel'noran's computer system Drei ended up taking over for him. Despite being outnumbered and leaderless the 4th fleet managed to turn back the SMX attack by launching a counter-attack against several of their planets. Since the SMX fleet had grouped up for this attack they had left their rear undefended and the 4th fleet forced them to pull back and defend. Of course, this pretty much exhausted the 4th fleet's bag of tricks and they didn't have Wazu around anymore to think up anything new.

Much later the SMX tried again, and the 4th fleet had one trick left. They teleported large chunks of Ralfaris' Sun's core into the enemy fleet, which triggered the star to go super-nova, and then teleported Ralfaris into orbit around another star.

And that's why we have the Old Ralfaris Nebula
View attachment 3969

On a similiar vein, what's the opinion on FTL on massive, gargantuan ships? On my more Extremely Long Term list of Goals are what amount to three cities contained within a spaceship, so I'm curious.

I think it'd probably be okay.

Teleportation used to be a lot more widespread and weaponized. If you didn't have your shields up you could get teleported somewhere nasty.
Transposition arrays, not teleportation.

This is definitely something I imagine being possible and a good question for people interested in creating stations for either independents or factions. I know as a fact that while designing the Brolt, my original idea involved a potential FTL station (which got utterly scrapped). It's definitely a good idea for those who might want to build something elsewhere and move it as akin to a Death Star or similar to real life (where we build parts on the ground normally and construct it in the air/space.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back