• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 Steel Oasis

P

Perilous Siege

Now that he was outside the confines of an SSI lab, he was starting to find that the expectations he had for the outside world might have been a bit...exaggerated. After spending the vast majority of his life killing and dying on a virtual battlefield, he thought he would be thrust into a real one almost as soon as he had been bought, clashing again and again with enemy forces relentlessly, earning the adulation of his comrades, and meet a heroic end at the hands of a worthy foe or overwhelming force. Certainly. the time was right for it.

Pirates plied ever expanding trade routes, frontier worlds desperately fought to hold onto their independence in the face of the sector's many rogue forces, recent regime changes had sparked civil unrest in Neplesia, the Free State was as destabilized as ever from the aftereffects of the Schism, and Yamatai was purportedly gearing up for the next major war since the end of the Second Mishhuvurthyar Invasion. He'd think he would have ended up in some active war zone, watching infantry brutally fight house to house while battleships clashed above the horizon.

Instead, he was spending his days on a desert world with a technological base far more primitive than what his ancestors had when they entered the sector, much less anything people used in the same calendar. The sheer disparity in force of arms provided by this fact, along with nigh-invulnerability their oppressors had against what the native populace could hope to muster meant that that insurrection wasn't particularly widespread, much less effective.

Of course, his work for the USO promised some excitement. Searching for treason among the vestiges of the former ruling classes at some party, gearing to liberate a bunch of space bees from a Mishhuvurthyar fleet. But they seemed too far off for him, and he wasn't the kind of person who could waste all his days away preparing in sims or getting high in VR. He needed to be doing something tangible, that felt like he was working towards some worthy goal.

So he had decided to take a little initiative.

He had flown his M5 across the length of the world, looking for hotspots to intercede at, and he was lucky enough to find somewhere of interest. Right on the southern coast of what counts for a sea on this planet, relatively untouched by the sandstorms that plagued the land, was a huge center of industry, unlike anything he'd encountered before on the planet. Spending some time observing it, his sensors had picked up quite a few firefights cropping up between different groups in the city which indicated quite a bit of unrest, and conspicuous lack of anything that looked like a Brigadier or Junker Drones policing the streets. Talks with locals had identified it as Lahiri, and it had apparently gone to shit after the “Starmen” had arrived to take the planet. Before, its unique location had made it one of the planet's biggest cities and a prime location for factories of all kinds, sparking quite a bit of trade.

It was perfect.

Jason had put on his piloting suit, gotten a bunch of supplies together to hand out, holstered his NSP, had the frame grab a light plasma cannon and a pistol, bolted some microspeakers onto the Seraphim, and set to incorporate another province into the great Usotozan empire.

The Seraphim cruised along towards the anarchic land, visibly hovering high above once it got there and began to scan for the largest concentration of bodies or preferably any skirmishes breaking out at the moment.

As Jason swept over the city, his scanners picked up a few major congregation points. Most of them inside buildings with high heat signatures,. However the appearance of a giant made of metal flying over the city made it quite difficult to find anything resembling conflict in the streets as most below him went to ground.

A bit disappointed that the locals were apparently smart enough to know it was probably a bad idea to stick around outside while a giant metal death machine hovered, he nevertheless boosted towards whichever congregation point had the seemingly largest group of people clustered within, sending his a booming voice via the recently installed speakers at the building.

"So, I'm going to give whoever is in here two choices, so I hope someone hears me. Either send some people out here to talk with me, or I'm going to bust my way in. And I gotta warn you, the second option isn't going to go well for anyone inside."

The sound of a bell inside would start to ring out, some sort of warning. A few heat sources within seemed to be snuffed in short order. All signs of a surprisingly orderly evacuation for what Jason had observed of this place so far.

But still, the large doors of the factory in front of the machine swung open a little. An old man wearing a battered flat cap and coal-stained coveralls hobbling out waving a stained white handkerchief.

"I really respect your sense of self-preservation. Glad we can skip the part where I melt whoever has the bright idea of seeing if they could do me any damage." The Seraphim hovered to the ground in front of the factories diplomat, getting on to one knee in front of him.

"So, who do I owe the pleasure of speaking with? Are you the guy in charge or just the guy they thought was disposable enough to send out?"

"What would it change to know what pile to throw me in?" The old man shot the question back, with a voice best described as 'scorched'. Like he could collapse into a coughing fit at any point of time.

"What do you want?"

"Well, the former would earn a great deal more of my respect, which is probably the one currency you have in this negotiation. Feel free to take as long as you want to get that cough under control, I'm not on a time limit."

The voice boomed out.

"As for why I'm here? I'm in Lahiri to restore order to the city and incorporate it into the world's new ruler's territories, and hopefully, afterward I can see about improving the living condition and start the uplifting process. I'm here at this specific factory because it had the most heat signatures I could detect in it, which made me assume you had the most militia members or whatever you call the people keeping the other factions fighting over this place from taking it."

"Those are all about to get conscripted, just to get that out of the way right now."

Without stopping to cough, the old man just stuck his handkerchief back in his pocket. Taking a few steps forward as if to inspect the machine kneeling before him.

"I see. Well... Go ahead then. We'll not be standing in your way."

"Quite agreeable of you. Happy to hear this didn't have to get ugly." Standing back up to it's full height, Jason checked his sensors once more to see if anything notable was going on. "I am, however, going to need your help. I'm hoping you can point me in the directions of the people with the biggest armies or the most influence. Figure if I want to not waste anyone's life it's the best to start top down."

"I suppose I could also use the locations or names of any forces who have committed outstanding atrocities People no would care to still be around. Make some examples, show the people the Empresses's justice, I'm sure you understand."

Aside from a few readings to show some people clambering around the industrial landscape around, possibly getting a better view.

"Talk to the royal families. This place has been abandoned by the grand army." The old man said, taking a few more steps forwards and reaching out a hand to touch the mech's hull. Somewhere around the ankle. Like he was fascinated by it.

"We are just factory workers, here."

"Quite the piece of art, isn't it?" He responded at what he assumed was the man's marveling at the joints of his Frame. "But yes, I understand that you might not have the best lay of the land during the recent chaos. All though I'm not quite sure where I'd find these royal families. I think my empress exterminated the Osman's after we took the city."

"In the new order, I don't think factory workers and noblemen are going to be all that different in status."

"Well. Dress it up in whatever revolution you want, I still don't know anyone with an army." He knocked an aged knuckle on the plating around the mech's ankle once or twice, before stepping back to look it in the 'face'.

"We just keep our heads down, and try to keep fed. Understand?"

"Fair enough." The mecha bent down and turned it's head as if to look at the old man face as well. "I'll be off to the next stop very soon. When I return, I'd like to get an inventory and census of this factory, as well as ask that you have the workers create a list of grievances or petitions for the empire to take care of. Food, medical supplies, lodgings....it would be a very easy task for our doctors to cure that cough of yours, I'm sure. Replace lost limbs as well."

"Can I trust you to take care of that?"

"Well. Yes, I would say so." The old man nodded, running a work-worn finger through his massive sideburns. Scratching a little coal dust out of them.

"Very well. Spread the message if you can, and hopefully, this transition can be pulled off without much hardship."

With that, the frame started to walk away a short distance and shoot up once more into the sky, this time looking for the most opulent looking population centers or signs of recently fortified positions.

Scanners would indicate something like a mansion by the coastal portions of the city. Closer to the green mass of Algae clumping against a shoreline. But oddly enough for the amount of conflict that could be observed at a distance, there was no place which looked like a fortress or stronghold. No obvious sign of a place where there was a military buildup...

Seemed they were wise to the notion that if the aliens came, anything which was fortified wouldn't be enough. That their best chance was to be undetected entirely.

Seeing it as one of the few points of interest, the angelic figure sped off towards the mansion-like structure, parking itself above the structure to get a better look.

"If anyone's in there, it'd be a pretty good idea to send someone who has a clue what's been going on around the city out."

Up close, the mansion seemed to be somewhat in disarray. Smashed out windows, graffiti painted over most walls... It was derelict. And by the look of it had been for a while before the aliens even turned up. But still, it was quite populated.

A while after the demands were made, a small group of figures wearing what looked like filthy, hooded robes came out. Standing at attention outside in a neat line.

Once again, the frame gently hovered down in front of the occupants, settling before them in a kneeling position. "I represent the new rulers of this planet. I'd like to have a chat with you about the violence wracking this city, and it's new place in our new empire. First however, I have to ask..."

"Why are you all wearing the same hoods? It's kind of creepy."

"They are cheap." One of them said, "Comfortable."

"Why are you disturbing the beggar's nest?" Another asked. "We have nothing for you."

"I'll make a note to bring some fresh clothes on my next trip back, then." The metal giant replied. "I have a proposition for you. Now, I'm in a bit of aggravating situation. I'd like to get a hold of the gangs who have been ripping this city apart, whoever's been running bits and pieces of it, the power players who have arisen since the...Grand Army was it? The Grand Army pulled out. It would make my job here a lot easier, and make sure I was a lot less frustrated."

"If any of you can give me any information on these people or their whereabouts, then I'm prepared to make sure you are given proper lodgings, food, water, and employment when I have the town pacified. If it's very good information, I am prepared to promise you a very cushy, lucrative, do nothing job."

"Who here has anything to offer?"

"Do you have anything to offer, truly?" One of them asked, "Promises are not anything tangible. What is tangible is that you have certainly been seen coming here. Been heard. And that if you do get the wrong information from us we may well all be killed when you are not here."

"Hmm. Well, I can't say that your logic isn't sound. How about this." The pilot offered. "It would be a fairly easy matter for me to take you all away from this place to wherever on the planet you would rather live. Any family or loved ones as well. Certainly no matter who you might piss off, their reach is probably not as far as some place like Tyman or Osman City."

"There's eighty people in the nest, at least." Came from under a hood.

"They will be visiting us tonight. Best make the evacuation quick." Came from under another.

"Eighty people would be a tall order, 'specially since I'll have to fly a bit slow not to kill any of you but I suppose it can be done. In the meantime between trips, I'll be leaving a few drones to make sure if people do come they will be dealt with. Is this acceptable?"

"And until it is done, we will tell you nothing. Still tongues are our greatest safety." A hood explained obtusely.

"Very well. I will be back soon. Will have to make some arrangements." It replied, before standing up from it's kneeling position, moving away, and boosting back off into the sky,

....and then, hovering far enough into the atmosphere that he'd be out of sight of the cities inhabitants, watching them down below, he opened up a channel to the High Sheriff. "Arccos, how busy are you at the moment?"

"The usual amount of busy. What is it?" Arccos replied in a snap. Apparently having time at least for the call.

"How hard would it be for you to find a place for around...88 people? Employment too if you can, since I know the brigadiers are writing labor contracts." He inquired.

"As in... housing? If they don't mind a bunkhouse, I can probably get new shelters up by the end of the week." Arccos responded, sounding a little distracted. "Employment depends on if they have any skills worth a damn. Of course, this all costs out of pocket, what's the problem that needs a dozen short of a hundred housed all of a sudden?"

"A week, eh? Hmmm. I can work with that." He let out a sigh, thankfully not audible through the mindware. "Are you familar with that huge city on the southern coast? Lot of violence down there lately? Think the locals call it Lahiri."

"I've read the reports. You're down there, I take it?" Arccos asked.

"Hovering in the stratosphere watching it at the moment, but I was just there, yeah. Made a deal with some locals in a run down mansion." He began to explain. "Figured since I'm functionally invincible in this thing, it'd be easy to go down there, melt a few heads, conscript anyone who was fighting into keeping the peace instead of killing each other on pain of death. One of the biggest places around here that can keep any industry and seafront property, so I thought it'd nice if the locals weren't blowing it up. As far as I knew, you didn't have a presence out there yet."

"Unfortunately, the locals aren't idiots. Soon as I appeared everyone holed up in their buildings. I figured the quickest way to sort this place out was to find out whoever's been running the biggest gangs and intimidate them into working for Uso, make examples, whatever. Problem is, no one wants to name any names or point to any locations because they're all scared they'll be killed over it. I got a deal with a group of them that if I get them out of there, they'll talk."

"Course, I could always just wait till the locals come after them, swoop in, and interrogate them before things get to hairy, but I also figured it would be a good idea to....you know. Put on a nice face for the people were oppressing."

"Official stance of the Brigade is that we isolate Lahiri until it surrenders or sorts itself out. They could potentially be funding rebels north of them, so we'd just been intercepting shipments until they stopped trying to send them entirely. The Brigade doesn't have enough force to stamp out armed resistance and then occupy it without taking unacceptable losses."

Arccos sounded business-like. Far more professional than she normally did.

"We don't want to go in there and just massacre everyone with the nukes either, since just about every time we do that sort of thing it just makes General Lewis one step closer to being a martyr for all future rebellions, so it's best to just leave them alone in my book... But if you're determined I'd say account for everything and don't trust anyone. You can't be there all the time, you probably can't trust everyone you recruit, and you likely can't be there for too long since you probably need to take a piss outside your robot every now and then."

"I wasn't planning on enacting any unnecessary massacres or to start dropping antimatter bombs, but I understand the concern. And I appreciate the advice, all though I think the drone's I have on this thing are going to come in handy for my piss breaks. But yeah, I'm pretty set on doing something useful with my time while I'm here."

In contrast, Jason came off as fairly happy...or perhaps relieved, as if he'd been expecting this talk to go very differently.

"So, can I count on you for the bunkhouses, then? I'd say I'd owe you a favor, but between freeing me, the title, and letting me hang out in your server I'm pretty sure you'd have me in a bind if you wanted anything from me anyway."

"Well, if I don't invest in you, I'm not about to get paid back." Arccos said drolly. "I have my own giant robots with which to punch things, and your body is of limited use to me right at the moment. Just don't expect me to house an entire city."

"Ouch. You really don't pull any punches, do you, Sheriff?" He let out a laugh. "But yeah, I wasn't planning on asking for much help. The only point in me doing this being worthwhile is because I'm just taking up space till we go after the Mishhu. Most of you all have more important shit to do,"

"Well, I don't see the point of punching softly." Arccos gave a single coarse laugh, "And those of us who are doing stuff are usually streamlining things so that we have better equipment when we reach space. Just see if you can squeeze something useful out of that sponge of an area."

"I'll see how much blood I can drain out of this stone, don't worry." He replied, smiling from ear to ear, and suddenly adopted the tone he had used after she had offered to get rid of his obedience protocols. "And...Thanks, Arccos, I appreciate this. A lot. I'll make sure you're glad you gave a shit about me one of these days. Promise."

"No obligations needed. Just don't make me regret it."

Last edited:
>Lahiri, Grand Foundry

For the second time in the last few days, the looming machinery of Jason's mecha stood by the doors of the largest factory in he industrial city of Lahiri. Once again, the same little old man came tottering out. Soot on his overalls, worn hat on his head. This time at least he carried what looked like a small chalkboard, scrawled with notes.

"So, number of people, and what we need... Right?" He asked, clearing his throat a few too many times, holding up the board "Here."

"Good work." The Seraphim's 7.5 meter tall white and gold frame loomed over elderly worker, it's shadow completely engulfing him. Still, it's cameras didn't have trouble zooming in on the board, his mindware committing the words to memory. "I trust that nothing has happened to you in my absence?"

The old man turned up his eyes to look at the machine, squinting slightly, "I bin in this town a lot longer'n you. I know how t' get by."

"I'm glad to hear to that. Now, I have something else I need to ask you..." The speakers were surprisingly low in volume, as if he was having a conversation with another man rather than a metal giant. "This is the largest factory in town, so I would suspect whoever it would be a person of wealth, correct? I'd appreciate if you could tell me who owns it and where I can find them."

"Cordlowe. Lives on Cordlowe." The old worker said bitterly, "Rooms at the Theina. Or at least that's what folks heard him talkin' about last time they seen him."

"I have no idea where those places are." There was an audible sigh coming through now, and his voice was noticably weary. "I don't suppose you know the directions from here to their, or if the Theina is particularly distinctive. And does this person have a name?"

"Fancy hotel, by the old green houses. Head past the factories, out to the west, look for houses made of glass." Jason got the explanation, "And 'is name is Cordlowe. Lives on Cordlowe. Street's got 'is name."

"My thanks. You've been a great help." Not wanting to waste any time, the frame stood up and begin to walk off a safe distance, before taking off towards the destination he had pointed out.

True to his word, the old man had given good directions. Flying west would lead Jason out to an area which was filled with the corroding metal frames of a long stretch of greenhouses, possibly once containing carefully tended gardens. Things which now in all the chaos seemed to be little more than skeletal husks studded with shards of glass remaining from their panes of glass that glinted in the light like broken teeth.

The 'park' seemed to be surrounded by the wealthier districts, built for people too rich for a home but not landed enough for an address at a mansion. The Theina was easy enough to locate, an elaborate two-floor building made of red mud-bricks imported from across the sea. A large sign over its door carved from bloodwood and inlaid with now flaking gold leaf indicating it as the place.

Guards stood by the front, fearlessly clutching repeaters and staring at the intruding iron giant that was neither a giant nor made of iron.

The aforementioned metal titan simply hovered in place for a few moments, as if waiting for something to happen. When it was clear that the guards didn't exactly seemed spooked, it floated down, calling out to them. "So, I have some buisness with a Mr or Mrs Cordlowe. So, I'm going to have a proposition for you."

For the first time in Lahiri, the belly of their new monster opened up, revealing...absolutely nothing. Their was a thud, and then a moment later it had closed again. Having activated his suit's thermo-optics, he strode up to the front door without paying the guards any attention, a mixture of Nanomuscle and augmented strength attempted to force the door open. likely looking like the work of a specter to any onlookers.

Contrary to the impression given, the door swung open almost effortlessly. It wasn't locked. Sure enough though, the two guards jumped startled for a moment, chambering rounds to their guns and looking inside a moment... Seeing nothing, before one skulked towards the machine. Reaching out to prod it with the end of his rifle...

Inside, the hotel's front desk clerk looked around once or twice before going back to playing a round of some single player card game for the lonely.

Without any hesitation, Jason walked up to the desk searching for anything that looked like a guest book, the invisible figure absentmindedly leafing through it for the name of his person of intrest.

Outside, it seemed that the mecha was failing to react to the stimuli, as still as a statue.

While the guards outside remained perplexed by what exactly was going on, someone apparently was wise to what was going on. The front desk clerk not seeming perturbed in the slightest by their guestbook fluttering open. A card was put down, and they turned to pull a cord behind the desk which hung from the ceiling.

They'd been warned that this was a possibility? Not the best news, but it was easy enough to find Cordlowe's rooms. They owned the entire second floor, as it was marked in the guest books as being reserved indefinitely for one "Olander Cordlowe".

Jason was fairly glad that this apparently unflappable couldn't see his eyebrows twitch as she pulled the cord, all though it wouldn't be much of a problem even if he was invisible. Next time, he told himself as he sped up the hallway with all the speed his slabber inserts would give him with the intent of searching for signs of life, he was simply going to tear the roof off if he wanted to make a theatrical entrance.

The hotel in general seemed to be quite busy. Or at least quite not-dead. A few finely dressed people were around on the first floor, mostly sitting around in the tea rooms. Many of them smoking, others simply reading. A quiet afternoon all in all.

Upstairs was almost dead quiet, however. No one up there until Jason came upon what looked like a study. A man probably in his late 30's sitting inside, dressed in a very neat cut three piece suit, and wearing a thick fur coat over it. Completely inappropriate for the usual burning heat of the planet, but he sat there none the less, reading over a one-page newsletter and smoking a fat cigar held between fingers bedecked in thick gold and ruby rings.

Undoubtedly the type of person to own a factory and live on a street with their name on the sign.

Shutting the door behind him quietly, the young man did his best to silently stride up behind his mark, before unceremoniously appearing out of the Ether. A plaid shirt, blue jeans, a duster coat all layered over his Moondyne's Graft, Hypnoji Faceplate obscuring darkened to obscure any sigh of his face while he loomed over the moon.

"Ah, I see you like to keep well informed. Any intresting news lately?"

"Alien giants asking for information about my factory." Cordlowe said utterly unflappably, undoubtedly having expected just this sort of thing to happen. "About what we expected, how droll."

He stood up with a certain swagger to him, neatly folding the newsletter and depositing it inside his coat with an almost camp bob of his wrist to tamp it down in a pocket. Up close Corlowe was something like the less elegant and more masculine counterpoint to the general form of fashion exemplified by Smithee back in Osman. A large hooked nose, curled handlebar mustache, well tended dramatic sideburns and red hair that seemed to curl up like his head was crowned with fire.

"So what do you want?"

"Well, you could pretend to be suprised. Or impressed, maybe a little afraid? Seriously, a armored figure appears in your study out of nowhere and your question, 'So what do you want?' And you call me droll!"

The young man sounded a tad...annoyed that his planning for a grand entrance and awing the primitive native had come to naught.

"But fine. I am the...caretaker of said giant alien, assigned to your city by the planets new ruler, Empress Uso Tasuki. I am here because I assume you are Olander Corlowe, and are a mans of some means. Someone who might be able to make my job considerably easier."

Cordlowe raised his bushy eyebrows slightly, his head bobbing from one side to the other before splitting his face into a large grin.

"Well, smashing. How can I facilitate?"

From the tone of his voice, it seemed that it was Jason who was on the suprise, even a stopping a moment to process the fairly helpful response.

"...Well then, I'll cut to the chase. I am in need of people who are familiar with this city, capable of assisting me restore order and uplift it to more...favorable state. I'm planning on Lahiri being a bit of a testbed, a real city of tomorrow. First of all however, I need to stop people from murdering eachother in the street, stamp out any rebel prescence, reestablish trade with the wider world....which I'm sure would benefit you greatly.

What I would need from you is to assemble a militia so I don't have to personally police the city by myself, a collection of subordinates to help me supervise it, and find out the the direction of any groups who have been making trouble since the grand army pulled out. I don't suppose I don't suppose you would be of help in any of those tasks?"

"Well I certainly could, but if you're going to do it anyway I fail to see just what benefit there would be to me spending so much and risking good men to achieve this end..." Cordlowe said, sounding just as chipper as he ever had.

"My men can already keep the peace where it matters to me. This city never stood with any of the rebellions to begin with, since the Degradation of the Duke left us uninvested in any of the battles beyond our borders. Trade with the wider world is meaningless where our factories produce nothing of worth to those from space... Such a blow it's been. So while I can help you, I can also probably drink a pint of camel sputum. Doesn't exactly mean I'll do either."

"Well, assuming that the knowledge that my version of doing this would likely involved a good deal more death then without your help doesn't sway you..." Jason brought up a hand to his chin, thinking. "Well, there are a few things I could probably offer you. A position of power in the new regime? I suppose favorable trade deals with your fellow natives don't matter much to you, but aside from weapons or the like I can certainly provide you with some of space's wonders. And of course, if you have anything in mind that someone who's invincible and has the firepower to lay waste to cities can do for you, I'm willing to hear if you like to name you price."

Cordlowe clapped his bejewelled hands together. "And now we have a negotiation. My price is technology. Technology available to us which will allow our people to have something worth selling once again. We wish to return to business. Proper business, jobs for the poor, profits to the merchants, and exports for you to grind out your profits from."

"Hahahaha..." A savage grin appeared on the young man's face, still obscured by his helmet."A true buisnessman through and through, eh? Well, your a lucky man, Mr Cordlowe because it seems like we want the same things. Turning this place into a center of industry, real industry, again? Nothing would make me happier." The figure reached out to his new partner, offering a hand. "Do we have a deal, then?"

"Payment on delivery, but yes." Cordlowe said, taking Jason by the hand and shaking.

"Well, I think I can arrange that, now that my mobile spanners have come in...I can start with your own factory, in fact. What exactly does it make at the moment?"

"It's a foundry. Not a factory. We make metals."

"Great, simply great, I can have the spanners begin setting up a generator, and then work on making some machines that will let you produce some worthwhile elements."

"We shall see," Cordlowe said, raising a hand to fix the curl of his mustache "I can't speak for what you consider worthwhile..."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back