• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Street War] The Beginning of the End

Zack

Inactive Member
ON>

After a few moments, Wazu's phone rang.

Wazu picked up his data pad and answered, hitting the button for voice only. "Hello?"

"It's me," the familiar voice from moments ago said. "I got your picture and it checks through. What happened down there?"

"A bomb, the area has been wiped out and we have fatalities." Wazu said. "Including at least a few of ours,"

"Any sign of Diesel?" The voice asked, not a hint of emotion found in it.

"None," He said.

There was a brief pause on the other side of the line. "We're having an emergency meeting at the following coordinates. We wouldn't usually have the likes of you attend, but since you were probably one of the last to see Diesel alive, you could provide some information." The coordinates quickly appeared on Wazu's data pad. "Dress up for the occasion."

Wazu nodded, "I understand." Jet was already off, so he headed to the nearest clothing store to pick up some fresh clothing and then head on to the meeting. In the process he set up his data pad to report in his position with the touch of just a few buttons.

The data pad blinked twice as a text message appeared: "Message received, operant. Continue."

James spent some of the money he had been given on new, non-exploded, clothing on what was the latest style... or at least so he though. He ended up in a long white coat, black vest, pants, button cover, cufflinks, and a ridiculously large white hat with a feather in it. James made sure to shut off his data pad's wireless connections so that the links to the outside world wouldn't be detected upon entrance. He hailed a cab and took it to the meeting point.

The meeting point was on the outskirts of Funky City, and the cab dropped him off in front of a fenced in gate. As soon as Wazu stepped out, the cab pulled away as fast as it could without screeching its tires. Two men in black stood in front of the gate, both armed with Zen Laser rifles and looked over the arrival for a moment before moving out of his way. The gate opened.

Wazu walked inside, playing with his hat a moment to get the feather going in the right direction.

Wazu's shoes tapped on the perfectly-polished black marble pathway that led to the mansion. Surprisingly, the areas outside of the pathway were marked by barren clay-red dirt. The brick walls were visible from the pathway, about 150 feet away. The perfectly box-shaped enclosure gave a feeling of being a rat in a huge, empty cage. The pathway gave way to a large fountain, in the center of which rested a perfectly-chiseled female water bearer. The water of the fountain poured out of the vase she held to her side. Her matching white robes seemed to flow like the water itself. The black pathway contrasted sharply with the white fountain, as if it was seemingly directing the walker's attention to the woman. The path wrapped around on both ends and continued to the Victorian-style mansion in the distance.

Wazu was beginning to feel a bit under whelming in comparison to his surroundings... the silly hat and fresh off the rack outfit not helping in the least. ~Perhaps I should have gotten the cane to go with the hat...~ He thought to himself while continuing to the mansion.

Upon walking up the fine white wooden steps leading to the doorway, Wazu was greeting by an aging Nepleslian in a tuxedo. "Take your coat, sir?" He extended a gloved hand to him.

Wazu turned to the side and let the man take the coat, "Thank you," He said, as he took the data pad out of the coat and placed it into his pocket.

The man shook his head in reply and bowed, using his free hand to open the door to the building. "You are expected in the dining room. I was told to instruct you to remain quiet until spoken to. My apologies for the rudeness, sir."

A brief walk straight ahead led to the dining room where several men sat at a long polished wooden table. They were twelve in all and each had a glass of red wine as well as a set of silver dinnerware. The majestic wooden chairs that they sat in towered above even the tallest of them. Aside from a few murmurs at the table, the room was silent, which was surprising because attendants were quickly moving to and from the room, making sure that everything was in perfect order. Wazu soon found himself being brushed to the corner of the room, near a small potted bush.

Wazu simply went with the flow, letting them place him like some many pieces of silverware next to a plate.

The men at the table were waiting patiently, their attention shifting slowly to a figure who sat at the head of the table at the far wall. The Nepleslian was handsome and fit, his face carved like a statue to the gods of yore. It was suiting, for his face was like a slab of stone, unmoving as he stared at an unknown point on the table. It was impossible to see his eyes through the reflection of his glasses.

Without even moving the man spoke. His voice was light, almost melodic, adding to his aura of beauty. "It seems that we can begin now. Hello, James."

The eyes of everyone on the room immediately moved to the newcomer. Their combined gaze was confining.

Wazu stayed in place, there was little more that he could do in this case, "Hello everyone," was his response.

The group stared at him as the man in glasses continued. "There has been a bit of unsettling news, hasn't there? Something about an explosion at Larry's General?"

"Yes, the entire building was leveled today. An explosion of some sort." Wazu thought to himself for a moment, perhaps he could get some information on who was who here. "Diesel mentioned a name to me, Joseph Claude, the last time we talked."

"Hm? I'm surprised he knew such a name." The man chuckled as he lifted a finger to adjust his glasses. "Well then, it's quite beneficial that a man with such unpursed lips is no longer with us..." The man paused a moment, taking a sip of his wine. "Yes, yes, quite beneficial. Do you have any more information?"

"The name was mentioned in conjunction with a new gang called the chain. We found information on a hard drive in a house that they owned which relates that name with a plan that they had." Wazu said.

"Oh yes, the chain. What a petty group of barbarians, but quite useful at the same time. Would you happen to have that data with you?"

"The only copies were in the general store at the time of the explosion." Wazu said. "Though I know the chain has been buying explosives, genetic material, high speed DNA sequencers, and weapons out of the facility that we investigated and destroyed."

"Ah I see... yes, we heard about the 'incident' back at the mansion. I'm surprised you made it out of there alive." The man nodded in appreciation. "I've heard much about what you've done in such a short time. You're quite an accomplished person, James. I'm happy we got to you before the military did..." the last statement ended with a smirk.

"You'd have to thank Diesel for that," Wazu said simply.

"It's too bad that he's dead. I'd have shaken his hand," the man said playfully. "It seems that things have just been going south for the last few months. Emrys has been a real pain in our side, and now this newly-created senate plans to shake things up with pens and loud voices." There was a buzzing noise at the table. "Speaking of loud voices..." The man's hand slid under the table and pushed a button. A projection screen descended from the far wall where a large image displayed.

It was Emperor Blackman.

Wazu recognized the face from pictures he had seen. This message only confirmed what he had suspected.

"Hello, Emperor." The man stood and turned, nodding to the screen before returning to his seat.

"Hello, Mr. Claude. Thank you for letting me speak to you on such short notice..."

"Not a problem, Emperor. What's on your mind?"

James put his hands in his pockets, and pressed the keys that would send the 'found JC' signal to the military.

"I've... failed to get the legislation banned. Furthermore, Mr. Davis has made it a point to ignore my commands. I fear a possible coup on his part. I... I need you're help."

"Well, what do you expect me to do about it? After all, you did act as an accomplice in getting this brilliant spy in our midst."

"Yes, but I've told you about that. We could use him, you know."

The man laughed. "Oh my, how rude it is to gossip about the man when he's right here! Allow me to adjust my camera so you can see his smiling face." The chair shifted a little to the side, allowing the emperor to see Wazu. Out of the corner of his eye, Wazu could see a gun being pointed at him... from one of the servant staff.

"Well well, Mr. Wazu. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Well... I don't like guns," Wazu said. "And would appreciate it if your servant put his away. I'm sure your mom told you it isn't polite to point."

"Such sharp eyes, too," Claude said with a sigh. "But, I'm afraid I can't do that. You see, I need to be talked out of killing you right here. You should be thankful that I've allowed the emperor to speak on your behalf."

"well, aside from getting blood all over your floors and servants." Wazu said, "I don't like pain and would really appreciate it if you didn't kill me. Especially when you have someone who can work as a double agent for you." Wazu looked up at the view screen, "Especially when the military is planning to take over the government in such a way."

"Please be quiet now. I'm talking to the Emperor." Claude chimed in. "So, Blackman. I hope you have a good explanation as to why I've let this so-called "chain" group of yours recklessly and heinously murder my associates."

"Obvious reasons," Blackman replied, clearing his throat. "A couple of lost thugs on your part perfectly justifies a complete restoration of order. I knew about Mr. Wazu and his associates from the start, and, knowing that Mr. Davis wouldn't hire incompetents, I just wanted to see how useful this man could be should things start to take a turn for the worse." Blackman smiled. "And, if I do say so myself, our friend here is the cream of the crop. He has investigative, scientific and espionage skills wrapped in one dapper-looking package. Quite a catch indeed."

"Yes, but why blow up Larry's General and both Diesel and Larry with it?"

"To erase any rogue variables, sir," Blackman said.

"Besides," he continued, "I had suspected Davis and I would reach a breaking point sooner or later. As the brilliant man here just said, he could make a valuable double agent."

Claude returned his attention to Wazu. The room was completely silent except for Claude and Davis. It was as if time had stopped. "Talk. Explain everything now, please."

"I joined up with the military to help the emperor restore order, I was eventually assigned to this operation which was to gather intelligence on the blacks. It does seem that the admiral had different intentions for this operation however." Wazu explained. "The rest of the activities have all been to get further into the blacks and gain more intelligence on them... you. Such could hardly be deemed important but for their outcome."

"I see. And what did you learn?"

"Minimal information of importance, the location of a few safe houses, some names, drug routes, not enough to deal serious damages against the infrastructure of the gang." Wazu said, ~Aside from the location of Joseph Claude of course~ It was then that Wazu started to wonder if this was the real Claude.

"Well then, I suppose that's best for you." Claude said.

"But anyway, that still doesn't convince me to not kill this spy."

"Well, if you'd let me finish my statement..." the emperor said.

"Anyway, the true nature of this man's mission is so blurred that it's nearly impossible to tell what's truth and what's fiction. The military... Davis in particular, cannot do anything but trust him. We can use that to our advantage. A man such as Wazu can get close to the Master Admiral, to share with him information that may be deemed too classified for his immediate superiors..."

"...and kill him."

"Hmmm... an interesting prospect." Claude said. "But how do I know this military lackey won't be adverse to the proposition?"

"Let me speak to him," Blackman said with a grin. "Hey, Sergeant, what do you want most in life?"

"What I want most in life?" Wazu said, repeating the question. Saying it so simply would definitely end up with a bullet being put inside of him. ~Right now the Calvary would be kind nice~ He thought as he tried to come up with a more diplomatic answer, "Power," Was his response.

"Power, you say? Isn't that what we all want?" Blackman mused. "With Davis out of the way, I can... WE can return things back to normal. We'll get rid of this stupid little senate forever, erase it from history if I have my way. Hm... but with Davis' unfortunate death, that would make room for another Master Admiral..."

"Or rather, Admiral... 2nd in command under myself, the new Master Admiral."

"And you would do this for me? A man you were about to kill?" Wazu asked.

"Oh, I have no intention of killing you," Blackman said. "That was all Claude's idea. I know talent when I see it, and having said talent's brain matter all over the floor of my friend would not be a good use of it."

"I agree wholeheartedly," Wazu said.

"So... what do you say?" came the question from the Emperor. The question that seemed to hang in the air forever.

"Your proposal is acceptable," Wazu said, "But how do you intend to go about carrying it out?"

"I'll take care of that myself. You just go report to the Master Admiral." Came the Emperor's curt reply.

A very loud beeping came from Wazu's pocket.

Wazu resisted the urge to call out one of a various collection of four letter words as he reached down and pressed the mute button on his data pad. "What a time to get a call. I'm afraid that I don't report directly to the master admiral but instead to one of the various underling commanders of the special forces units. Getting an audience with the admiral could be difficult."

He was considering stalling to make sure that the cavalry arrived when the target was still there. but an exit was starting to look good right now.

"Sergeant, you probably should check that phone of yours before the missile arrives." The Emperor said, his lips curling into a sneer. "Scratch that, I'd probably get the fuck out."

The man with the glasses on lept to his chair, his wine glass smashing on the floor. "What is this, Blackman?! Some kind of sick joke?!"

Wazu, not really wanting to stay to find out, pulled out his data pad as he headed for the door in a full run.

The servant, who had been distracted momentarily by the reaction of his leader, missed Wazu leaving the room.

"No, no my friend. It's a revolution." the emperor said as he cackled gleefully. "I think I'll rather enjoy this new Nepleslia."

Wazu checked the data pad as he was leaving, figuring that whatever message that was sent was pretty important by now.

The message read, in bold, capitalized text: "GET OUT NOW."

The sound of gunfire came from behind Wazu as the servant had recovered and stood at the doorway, firing. Wazu felt a burst of pain as one bullet slammed into the back of his right shoulder.

His arm went limp, again, and he dropped the data pad. He started to zig zag toward the exit, running past whatever servants were there and leaving his coat along with that ridiculous hat of his.

Unfortunately, the two guards at the gate had raised their Zen rifles at Wazu and were taking aim as he approached...

"Joseph wants you inside NOW! The government is raiding the place!" Wazu yelled at the guards, hoping they would pause at least for a second as he made a right turn and continued running, looking for another exit, also continuing his zig sagging motions

The guards weren't tricked by the desperate Wazu. Both opened fire at him from the exit, the energy blasts riddling the ground all around him until one slammed into the soldier's upper left thigh. It was then that a large whistling noise was heard a split second before a massive explosion ripped through the mansion. The shockwave sent the now-collapsing Wazu spiraling uncontrollably on the ground.

Wazu did his best to fall and roll, trying to cover his face with his remaining working arm as he fell. Fortunately he was already mostly on the ground by the time of the blast so the shrapnel wouldn't hurt him as much.

The explosion threw Wazu like a rag doll towards the nearest wall. The guards at the exit had also been thrown by the explosion. The intensity of the blast itself deafened Wazu's hearing.

Wazu blinked several times to try and consolidate what he was seeing into one picture. With the hole in his left thigh and blood dripping from his shoulder it wasn't likely he would be going anywhere fast.

As Wazu hit the wall, the sickening crack of his hip shattering sent unbelievable streams of pain throughout his body. It was far too much for the man's body to take as the world quickly began to spin and black out. The last thing he saw, as he laid on the ground, twitching, was a booted foot.

Jet had been on his way to the mansion when the missile came down, when it hit, he dove behind a heavy dumpster on the other side of the street, the dumpster acting as armor against the sharpnel. When he saw Wazu fly across his field of view he looked around and ran down the alley and hijacked a car from a civilian and hurried off. In a few moments he drift turned onto the road near the mansion; he jumped out and capped the guards, double headshots. By the time Wazu would wake up Jet had hauled him to the car and put him in the backseat, with a bit of wazu's own shirt torn to bandage the bleeding wounds. "Man how in the world do you always manage to get in trouble on your own?" he asked as he hurried toward the hospital.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back