• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Subspace verses hyperspace

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Okay, so I'm to understand subspace is an action which takes place in a lower dimension and hyperspace a higher dimension.

In that sense, in sub-space, because there's less of it, you can transverse it much faster than conventional space -- though its constants are unfriendly to organic life that isn't spatially shielded some how - making it ideal for transmission.

On the other hand, hyper-space is harder to transverse but can be used to fold the lower dimensions through eachother - like an ant walking from one end of a newspaper and appearing on the other because the newspaper has been rolled over, with its ends meeting.

Just want to make sure my definition matches your definition, folks.

Subspace seems to be the technological realm in which Continuum Distorsion Drives (CDD) and subspace communication functions. It's pretty much defined as Faster-than-light. Within a star systems it allows near-instant departure/arrival, and in inter-stellar conditions the ETA is measured in hours.

Effectively, you're distorting the local spacetime continuum with that 'bubble' surrounding the ship, or that carrier-wave for the transmission in order to let them reach faster-than-light speed.

Basically, CDD is more or less Star Trek-like warp speed.

Hyperspace is a tier above that. Where subspace seems to be about travelling faster through spacetime, hyperspace seems to be more about creating a shortcut through it by folding the space between the starting point and the arrival point.

Wes seems keen on following the imagery of the first Macross anime series where ships folding shine, flicker and disappear... and do the same at thier arrival point.

Wes has never expressed going further and describing the fold 'tunnels' depicted in Macross Frontier... so how the ships travel and how they can stop midway and emerge in normal space at the appropriate inbetween point is unknown. He's described it mostly as very long range teleportation with some time-delay from start-to-end.

Wes hasn't been exactly consistent with this in the past. If I must be honest, I think your question is simply 'too deep' for what SARP is made to uphold detail-wise.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…