• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

"Superdoomer" -- Orbitally Deployed Turret Array

Strangelove

Inactive Member
CSEIA-RAD Orbitally Deployed Turret Array -- "Superdoomer"

"People need to start taking us seriously."

-- Kastra Sarir, Rapid Assembly Divison engineer

About the Superdoomer
The Superdoomer was designed to be the final word in stationary defense. It is deployed from high orbit via ballistic missile, where it seeks out it's destination and buries itself for cover. The turret array then pops up from the buried missile, and does it's business. Since this was designed to fight as a stationary object, the designers decided mass wasn't an issue and had the Superdoomer fitted with a small frigate-class reactor.

[Visual Reference]

Statistical Information
Organization: CSEIA
Type: Orbitally Deployed Turret Array
Designer and Manufacturer: CSEIA Rapid Assembly Division

Length: 4m
Width: 4m
Height: 18m undeployed, 25m deployed
Mass: 800 tonnes

Range: 1 AU with additional fuel pods
Lifespan: 6 Mo. without maintenance, 10 years with.

Weapons Systems
Weapon Name: CSEIA Pulsed Energy AMS. Afraid that a stationary system may be a prime target for air strikes, the Anti-Missile system was added. The AMS is actually based on several small arms integrated into a rotary chain gun, modified for increased output to better suit the large reactor of the Superdoomer.

Primary Purpose: Anti-Missile
Secondary Purpose: Anti-Infantry, Anti-Aircraft
Damage: Light
Range: 700m
Rate of Fire: 6000 rounds a minute
Payload: Unlimited

Weapon Name: CSEIA 20mm Coiled Autocannon. Rather than design a rapid fire, multi-barrel array, CSEIA opted for a single barrel, high powered rifle. The Coiled Autocannon can achieve extremely high velocities through magnetic acceleration, but it's maximum range is limited by the tracking software and sensors of the system. This system is to fill the 'up close and personal' fighting needs of the Superdoomer.

Primary Purpose: Anti-Armor
Secondary Purpose: Anti-Infantry
Damage: Medium to Heavy
Range: 40 KM
Rate of Fire: 1200 rounds a minute
Payload: 18000 rounds
Warhead: CSEIA Tungsten Carbide 20mm AP Rounds

Weapon Name: CSEIA 400mm Coiled Howitzer. This howitzer uses magnetic acceleration to lob tactical nuclear rounds at high angles. While the high caliber and mass of the rounds gives the weapon significant recoil and therefore inaccuracy, the collateral damage caused by the rounds is more than enough to make accuracy an afterthought.

Primary Purpose: Long range bombardment
Damage (Thorium): Very heavy with heavy to medium splash damage.
Damage (Neutron): Neutron flux. Total Annihilation (radiation damage) against unshielded organics. Medium EMP effect.
Range: 75 KM
Rate of Fire: 20 rounds a minute
Payload: 300 rounds
Warhead: CSEIA Thorium Fission Rounds, 20 Kt yield
Warhead: CSEIA Mother's Breath Neutron Rounds, 1.5 Kt yield

Weapon Name: Dual Ring-Turreted Phase Energy Cannons. Not much is known about the origin of the system, but these don't appear to be of CSEIA origin. However, CSEIA's 'no questions asked' policy applies both ways, so don't bother asking them where they found these.

Primary Purpose: All Purpose Weapon
Damage: Heavy
Range: 200 KM
Rate of Fire: 60 rounds per second
Payload: Unlimited

Systems
Hull -- CSEIA Energized Tungsten Armor
Deactivated when the shield systems are operational. This is the last line of defense for the Superdoomer.

Power -- CSEIA Thorium Fission-Fusion Reactor:
Fission-Fusion design that provides power for up to ten years without refueling.

Shields -- CSEIA "Iron Curtain" Shield Array:
Shield generator and capacitor system. By using the capacitor system the Iron Curtain can temporarily overcharge itself to a full fledged starship-class shield for up to 3 minutes. When running in passive mode, the system has a defense equivalent to that of a fighter-class shield.

Electronic Warfare -- CSEIA "Blackout" Directed ECM Generator:
This system is designed for defense against orbital bombardment. Using a directed ECM array, it can effectively disrupt the targeting of ships in orbit when they try to fire along the beam's path. Smaller vessels are unable to lock the unit, while larger ones simply suffer a hit to accuracy. Due to the considerable power drain of the system, the ECM Generator cannot be run in conjunction with shield systems or energy weapons.

OOC
I know it seems overpowered, but as a stationary defense system it needed a boost if anyone was even going to consider using it in the day and age of power armor. I may have gone too far with the Aether Beam rifles, so I may yet switch them out for more standardized energy weapons. Thoughts, anyone?

And here I was thinking it was yet another tasteful and intelligent submission on your part. ~_^

Seriously, I'd recommend you change the 'dual aether rifle weapon' name to perhaps something like 'twin ring-turreted phase energy cannons' and diminish the range to 300 000~400 000 km. You honestly don't need more on a planet. ^_^;

It's a fixed defensive emplacement. Really, I think it's okay.

Should be far less than 300,000 km ... are you going to be shooting starships with this? If so, okay, but if not, it's grossly overpowered in terms of range, isn't it?

The Mindy's aether saber-rifle has a range of 400 000 km, I think. If a slender rifle can have that... I was thinking a fixed emplacement could too.

Sorry, fixed the numbers (and the name) as requested. Since the CSEIA isn't likely to have proper Aether technology production facilities, I thought I'd have them purchase the equipment from salvagers or pirates, specifically Star Army aether rifles. Since there are quite possibly hundreds of billions of power armor in the SA, one would think a few pieces of equipment would fall through the cracks during battles and such.

Anyways, since I was originally using SA issue aether rifles, I copied over some of the performance stats, including the range. Hence the extreme ranges.

Gah, sorry -- I was assuming that you were going to change the aether cannons, therefore reducing possible range. My bad, dude.

This is crazy, but cool. There's currently a lack of turrets and ground defenses in the SARP.

Approved!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…