Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

T1A1 Havoc MBT

The defenses for this thing seem a bit much to me, it can basically defeat anything that comes near it and thus can't really be destroyed.

The Variable Voltage Hull Defense System, makes it so that a person can't get near it to disable the crew. The active defense system means that missiles and those large projectiles aren't going to get near it, the gravimetric shielding means scaler attacks are useless. The Electrostic Shielding makes energy weapons a no go against it and the scaler shielding pretty much backs up the gravimetric shielding.

All of this makes the tank a fortress of steel that can't really be taken out, even by Mindy power armor or a Tasha Tank. Even the Mindys and the Tasha Tank have weaknesses and aren't impervious to attacks.

I would suggest you to re-examine these defenses and put in some form of a disadvantage to using them. An example would be that they can't operate for long periods of time, or that they can be overwhelmed (it's not mentioned, but because that isn't being mentioned, a GM can metagame this tank and make it seem like nothing can harm it)

The Tasha has similar defenses against Scalar attacks (though it is lister as scalar immune instead of grav shielding). The Tasha has point defense weapons for striking down missiles and individuals who get too close. The Tasha also has conventional energy shields and smoke launchers just like this tank.

The K4 also has a similarly powerful protection suite, smoke launchers, point defense weapons, EMP weapons, a full shielding suite, ect.

Even the Troll has anti-Scalar shielding (nearly everything is equipped with that now, even power armors) and energy shields.

The only thing new this vehicle has in terms of defense systems is the variable voltage hull, and that hardly seems overpowered considering that you'd have to physically run up and touch the hull for it to harm you.

---

Maybe you should point out where these 'weaknesses' are in the Tasha or mindy? This kind of thing hasn't been required for submissions in the past to balance out having shields (and just about everything has shields) nor is it in the submission guidelines anywhere.

All the systems are still tied down by the DR rules, its mostly just fluff. Though it is intended to fulfill the role of a heavy tank which means its designed to be difficult to kill.

Thanks Arieg. It was just a concern of mine, having looked over the others, I think I was a bit wrong in my concerns.

Though one thing that was brought to my attention, there is no DR rating for the laser defense system. It should also be moved under the 'weapons systems' tag.

@Uso

Perhaps I'm being overzelous, if that's the right word to use.

What is the ammo capacity?

I think how Paragon were able to get Scalar shielding technology bears questioning, mind you. They're not NAM, and Scalar field technology is restricted in Yamatai and Nepleslia.

Restricted yes, impossible to get? No, this is Neplesia after all.

So more or less acquired clandestinely, I have former Blacks among Paragon's ranks for a reason.

Thanks Arieg.

With those changes made, unless Exhack or another person here brings up a concern, I'll more than likely approve of this later tonight or early tomorrow.

I recommend for approval too.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back