• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Technology Comparison

MoonMan

Inactive Member
I keep hearing about how Yamatai technology is more advanced than Nepleslia, which is understandable seeing as how Yamatai is twice the planet count of Nepleslia, and that Yamatai has been the center of the IC universe for a while. However, I've only seen a few small differences between power armors. Heck, the DD4 from the NDI is pretty much on par with most similar Yamatai designs, although it is a Nerimian design and manufacture, not straight Nepleslian.. For right now, I'd just like to discuss power armor designs, since they are the more diverse parts of the Star Army universe. Feel free to correct anything I have assumed wrongly.

Some differences I've noted are:

• Yamatai designs make use Zesuaium. I suppose this is a big plus for Yamatai, seeing as how Zesuaium is pretty exclusive, while Nepleslia and NDI models make use of standard durandium with a few perks every now and then.

Yamatai weapons are often more focused on aether weaponry, while Nepleslia favors basic beam weaponry and solid projectiles. This should also a plus for Yamatai, seeing as how aether weapons are supposedly the best thing short of those amazing torpedoes, and it's apparent that solid projectiles are eventually becoming more obsolete.

Small design differences between the two cultures. Yamatai focuses on organics and integration with said organics, evident in the Mindy armor, while Nepleslia favors simple cushioning and computer-systems doing all the work. Propulsion for both cultures ultimately comes down to predominantly antigravity/zero point emphasis for Yamatai, basic ion thrusters and some antigravity for Nepleslia, save a few exceptions of course. Enhancement in both machines are basically done by either a attribute-enhancing synthetic flesh or nanomachines. Actual computer systems and their strength might lean towards Yamatai, although I'm not so certain about this.

This is not a complaint about tech levels, or a plea for balance. I'm asking this to get a more detailed feel for the differences in the Star Army factions and their levels of technology. I was originally going to include Elysian and Misshu tech into this as well, but to tell the truth I had never looked at their designs in enough detail to give comparison. I'm looking at them right now, actually.

Yamatai has the most advanced warships, and probably always will - however, on the personnel scale, the factions are much more even; hell, some of them even beat Yamatai in certain areas.

Yamatai still comes out on top; the combination of the Neko, aether, and Zesuaium is tough to beat. The NIWS is something to be feared above all else, the Mindies and Kylies are among the most recognized weapons in known space, and the Nekovalkyrja are known for being efficient killers almost as much as they're known for rampant lesbianism.

The Misshu, of course, are themselves powerful biological weapons, and their 'battle pods' feature antimatter weaponry able to crush Yamataian armor. They're definately second on the scale.

Elysians don't seem to have well-detailed armor tech (though they apparantly have Evas), but what they do have is the Seraphs. Powerful biological weapons, they lack the personality of a Neko, but make up for it in intelligence and attack capability. Too bad there's so few of them.

Nepleslia has the most variety in its armor selection; not only do they have the NDI's repritoire of armor and strike craft, they have their own burgeoning armor selection thanks to NAM. (I myself may be designing Nep armors, but that's in the far future.) The defect in the Nepleslian personnel unit is the thing sandwiched within the metal plates - even ID-SOLs can't hope to match a Neko.

Yamatai also has positron-based weaponry and yamataiaum (pretty tough regenerative metal) which are seeing more and more use. Their main torpedo warhead depends on anti-matter rather than aether too. There are other zero point generators in existance which could compensate for the loss of aether power generators, such as quintessent energy taps.

The Mindy is very aether dependant and is armored with zesuaium... so, it'd be the most effected by this. There would need to be an djustment to the main weaponry they would employ.

So, still slightly above the Mishhuvurthyar. Yamatai retains a big advantage with their Combined Field System technology.

There are other zero point generators in existance which could compensate for the loss of aether power generators, such as quintessent energy taps.
Er, those are all the same thing.

Moonman seems to have a pretty good grasp on the tech levels.

Thanks, I appreciate the answers.

Everything seems understandable, but I have a question about FM's last comment:
The defect in the Nepleslian personnel unit is the thing sandwiched within the metal plates - even ID-SOLs can't hope to match a Neko.

I know that most Nepleslians aren't as much of a threat as a Neko would be, however I had always figured that, through the computing systems on ships and armors, the playing field between the two was somewhat more even. From reading the computer system information on models from both factions, I can't come up with a clear conclusion of one system being better leagues than the other. It's a bit more difficult to weigh the two together.

Zakalwe said:
The Anthedon is a perfectly detailed power armour thank you very much.

Ooohh...a pulse rifle that bypasses shields, armor that doesn't really seem to be made out of metal (or at least not mentioned), and quasi-organic innards vaguely similar to a Mindy. Neat.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back