• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Technology for the Small Nation.

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
I do remember a thread being done like this before, but I can't find it so I'm going to ask my questions.

1.) What types of materials are there for the up and coming races/empires of this universe? I've been thinking of making my ship designs, and future ship designs, for the Abwehrans a bit more detailed. This is one thing I need to know.

2.) What types of power generators can be used in this universe? And what's their relative hierarchy in power generation and easy of maintanence? So far I've seen Superheavy Quantum, Aetheric, Antimatter, Fission, and the Abwehran's own Fission/Fusion Reactors. Is there anything I'm missing?

3.) Drive Systems, how hard would it be for an Ion Drive civilization to research into Gravimetric (Graviton?) drive systems? How hard would it be to research Hyperdrive or Hyperpulse drive systems?

4.) How effective would missiles be in combat? Any penetration aids that can get them by those electro fields?

I'll post any more questions I think about later on in this thread, if they come to me.

1, That is a very good question. I advise looking on the damage chart that Wes has constructed - it gives examples of materials and their strength. However high tech composites are always good - and things constructed from Carbon.

2, You can use any form of power generator which makes any form of sense. That seems to be the way it works any way, as long as it doesn't contradict past tech.

3, To Gravimetric drives you need far more advanced physics and you need to completely rethink your ship designs. It's a copletely different stage of development.

In regards to number three, remember that there are already things like artificial gravity generators and anti-gravity propulsion on piloted suits. While it may take some research and development, I don't think Gravimetric would be far fetched. And as for Hyperpulse drives, since they are pretty widespread through out the universe, it wouldn't be far fetched or overly expensive to salvage or purchase some designs from traders. Re-researching it would take quite a bit of time, I imagine. It is pretty deep into the field of quantum mechanics after all.

As for number four, I asked something like that in my thread. Since we have such advanced forms of propulsion, I find it unlikely so few races would try and design smartbombs or missles. But as for how to effectively use missiles against shielded ships, in my other thread I suggested idea of chemical missiles. Acids, to be precise. In this world of energy weapons, most shields would be specifically designed to withstand kinetic and heat energy of explosive missiles easily. But acids might be a good low-tech solution that would allow your race to fight against more advanced ships, since I don't think very many shield systems are designed with chemicals in mind.

I don't believe that the race in question has any significant gravity manipulation - even on their suits - and this is where the difficulty arrises. Of course after serious interact with a technologically advanced species will accelerate your technology and give you a goal to aspire to.

The Abwehran gravity technology is at most artificial gravity plates used to create gravity on ships. Then there's a gravatronic radar, a gravity version of radar.

Don't forget that Yamatai zealously guards its more esoteric technologies (the hyperspace drive, for example). Salvaging them for reverse-engineering might bring political repercussions. :)

Like Jake mentioned, going from ion-based drives to graviton-based drives is a pretty big leap. I don't believe graviton-based drives are restricted by Yamatai, however. Wes can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I'm ressurecting a slightly old thread for a very important purpose. I'm still slightly worried as to how the Abwehrans will adapt once a proper first contact scenario is completed. Currently, the Abwehran people have what I would like to consider on average about the same type of technology has the Lorath if not slightly more advanced.

Current Technology:
- Gravitational Plating (not unlike that in a Vampire Patrol Craft)
- Fission/Fusion Combination Reactors
- Fusion Impulse Drives
- Ion Drives
- Basic Hazard Shields (a primitive anti-radiation shielding)
- Computer Technology bordering on Quantum (they're close to breaking the barrier though)
- Radio and Laser Communication Systems
- Image Scanners
- Graviton Radar (uses a graviton pulse much like a radar)
- Ion Cannon
- Limited Anti-matter Production (enough to make a couple hundred warheads per earth year)
- Advanced Laser Technology (enough to cause damage)
- Recycling Environmental Systems
- Materials such as High-Tensile metals, ceramic/metallic composites, and flexible, projectile-resistant fabrics.
- Mass Driver and Rail Gun technology
- Missile Technology

So far, I've figure with the way they are, they can pretty much be able to upgrade to Quantum Computer Systems and more Anti-matter based systems without much assistance. The rest of the stuff would probably have to be done with assistance from one of the more "older" space empires. Does everyone think this is a logical assessment or am I missing something critical?

Not to be nitpicky, but we've had working small scale quantum computers (nuclear magnetic resonance) since the late 1990s. To date we've already brainstormed 11 different viable methods to make a quantum computer. I'd imagine if your race has already developed anti-matter and gravity manipulation technology, their understanding of high energy physics and quantum mechanics should be great enough to allow them to develop quantum computers without a lot of difficulty. Of course I don't know much about them. Maybe their computer technology has just lagged behind the other scientific fields on their homeworld.

But other than that little bit, the list looks good.

My thinking on it is that there is a barrier between theoretical and practical. A society can have all the theoretical knowledge in the world and still not be able to practically make it possible. That's basically what's happened with the Abwehrans when it comes to Quantum Computers.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back