• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Template Updates?

Kyle

Insane Story Writer Foxy
Inactive Member
More and more of us are starting to use the wrap plugin for our article creations, and quite a few people have also begun to use the ship template that I created for my faction. Because of this, I'm going to start to go through some of the templates I've created (such as the vehicle ones) and changing them over to use the wrap plugin.

At the same time, I plan on putting in a few more templates that also utilize wrap to better organize information, making pages 'smaller' in terms of their width (we have some ship pages that are so long that people actually lose interest in reading them because of their length) by doing this the majority of said information will be made available practically on the initial load and perhaps they'd only to scroll down a small bit.

However, I'd like some opinions from our members to see what kind of templates they'd like for me to create - outside of those I've already created. Presently, these are the ones I'm working on:

• System Template
  • Planet Template
  • Ammo Template
  • Weapon Template
  • Starship Template

The rule of thumb should be that if it's a sentence or more, if doesn't really belong in an info box.

I know, but what I am refering to in terms of organization and using tables basically is outlined in this article: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=neshaten:starships:kistra-class

You'll notice how only things like the about and history are located in their own headers along with any special details, otherwise things like ship systems and weaponry, amongst others, are found in the tables. This is what I plan on using for vehicles and ships, as its something that most of our members are starting to use anyway so may as well turn it into a template. You can also notice that because the information is centralized - it is more organized, less cluttered, and the page is smaller as well.

Now, that doesn't mean that people can put in more details about a system - for example if a system is unique to that ship then they could put it out into the main proper.

I think the interior rooms should definitely go in deck layout/interior instead of the infobox. The info box is for stats and figures.

A deck layout is something that should actually go on the shipplot page, since adding on a deck layout even on the main ship page itself just creates more work. Trust me on this Wes, this is why I came up with this template and quite a few of our members love it, its time we put that particular template into some of the recommendations - granted people don't 'have' to use it if they do not want to, but the template I created is less cluttered, more organized and frankly interior rooms already have their descriptions on the articles they are linked to there is no point in putting in a redundant description that will purely mirror the one on its main article.

You just pointed to the kind of char template I was going to convert my chars over to sense - in the case of a character - it is organized and not cluttered.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back