• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Terry Gillian

Concerto

Inactive Member
Revised and edited:

Name: Terence Renee Gillian

General Information

Species: Yamataian
Homeworld: Valaad

Family:
Father: Jacob Gillian (Deceased);
Mother: Amelia Renee Gillian (Retired);
Brother: William James Gillian (alive but whereabouts unknown)

Employer: Self Employed
Current Assignment: Independent Star Cruiser "Osiris"

Physical Characteristics

Height: 5 feet 10 inches
Weight: 153 pounds

Build and Skin Colour: Average build, somewhat lean from extended periods in low gravity. Skin is a deep olive hue attributed to diets consisting of foods native to uninhabited worlds.
Facial Features and Eye Colour: An ordinary seeming man with an average frame face, narrowing slightly towards the chin and somewhat broad cheekbones that hint at possible mixed breeding. His eyes are a cloudy gray in color.
Hair Colour and Style: Terry's hair is a deep red color, kept at about shoulder length and often parted down the middle so that it can be tucked behind his ears.

Distinguishing Features: The most immediate identifying mark is a tattoo under his left eye. It is a single red bar about 1/2 inch thick, traveling from the bridge of his nose to under the earlobe. A smaller alchemic symbol decorates each wrist, though these are purely for decoration and serve no real purpose.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
Terence Renee Gillian is one of those kinds of persons that other authority figures would say has a problem adhering to the rules of society. He often shows disdain for the more rigored aspects of life and expresses immediate discomfort with formal situations. Regardless he is a very charismatic speaker, often frank but never rude unless he's intending to get a rise out of someone. He is often portrayed as being cold and heartless, but it is merely a front to inspire his followers.

Likes: Cooking, classical music, recreational simulations, women, pretty women, ships that combine utility and grace, parties.
Dislikes: Cleaning personal space, following social dictates that he views as absurd, attending formal dinners, being shot at.
Goals: Find his brother and unite the various pirate ships and groups under his banner.

History

The son of a wealthy shipbuilder whose family specialized in custom, one of a kind vessels for rich prats to play with, Terence grew up in the hostile environment of the upper class society. Often teased by other children in his youth due to his unusual coloring he spent much of his time perusing library texts and cruising in the seedier parts of spaceports, as much as he did on shakedown cruises assisting his parents and older brother in the task of working the kinks out of each ship that was built. During this time he developed an appreciation of the freedom offered in the stars and far from the strict and rigid boundaries of high society and turned into somewhat of a rebel; this was only exacerbated by the cold reception to news that his father had been killed and brother warped to some unknown location in the galaxy when an FTL drive malfunctioned. Following this lack of concern his mother retired from the shipbuilding business, and Terry claimed the last of the ships to be built by his parents and their staff as his own.

Skills

Leadership: A good pirate captain needs to be able to talk people into following his command and joining under his banner and once he's convinced them to keep them there. All of his subordinates are under the impression that they voted him into captainhood but it is his unorthodox views even as regards piracy that keeps them in admiration of him. His crew is loyal to the death to him and replacement members quickly learn to never question his dedication to the men and women serving him.

Engineering: Spending as much time as he did in the shipyards of the family business, Terry picked up a lot of the finer points of starship engineering. He knows every system aboard his ship by heart, and takes upon himself to personally train new crewmembers on the operations of the cruiser. This extends to keeping pace with developments in technology that could better aid his ambitions and the survivability of his ship.

Fighting: Terry prefers to take the lead in many of the boarding raids conducted by his crew on their prey; to this end he took it upon himself to learn combat forms for normal and zero gravity. This also encompasses an above average knowledge of weapons systems and power armor systems for those few times when the prey ship's crew shoots back.

Mathematics: It should be reminded that in the end Terry is a pirate; as such he needs to keep a careful eye on the crew's expenditures, costs of repairs, the market value of goods stolen and the like. In addition to that, calculating an FTL jump is no easy task, even with a navigational computer and while he normally leaves the flying to his trusted pilot plotting a course through the void of hyperspace is a task he would rather undertake himself.

Domestic: When your only company is the crew and there's only eleven of you being the captain does not excuse you from handling your own affairs. Of course he doesn't avoid the work that keeps him clean and healthy, but he personally sees to the crew's nutrition, cooking for them regularly and making sure that their dietary needs are cared for.

Technology Operation: Every good captain needs a good computer, so Terry made sure that the basic computer was stripped out and replaced by a state of the art system. Needless to say operating such a complex system requires an advanced technical knowledge, which is actually quite common though most stick to a basic knowledge and only improve their skills as needed.

Communications: Terry employs a network of locator beacons to keep track of his crew when they are engaged in planetside intelligence-gathering operations. Because of its nature it requires him to know multiple frequencies and decryption keys; another reason is that not all markets speak a standard language and being able to get his goods shipped off quickly and go off to find more is vital to the ship's continued operation.

Protip: Turn off "Word Wrap" before copying from notepad to avoid formatting errors.

Wes said:
Protip: Turn off "Word Wrap" before copying from notepad to avoid formatting errors.

I did. That was all use of the enter key. :p

Word wrap tends to make wordpad hate me... because it doesn't do the same thing and a lot of people who use notepad for writing don't realize this.

Small edit: changed name of ship from "Sekihau" to "Osiris"; removed internal registry number of Osiris from profile.

I intend to create the starship class and profile of the flagship vessel later but for now those are the only revisions I wanted to make.

1161584906140.gif

Why on earth did you make him board a Star Army vessel? That doesn't even make sense.

Actually I don't seem to have thought it out very well what I wanted him to be doing but now that it's going full-steam there's not much point in trying to change where he is.

EDIT: I might need to retcon things a little bit given the trouble I have keeping various elements that I've come up with relevant to each other. May or may not depending on how things work out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back