• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

The birth of a fleet

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Convention Veteran
Retired Staff
13-12-31 Yamatai (Planet)

Mikasa Sorano walked out of the office belonging to Yui-Taisho. She was still trying to absorb the magnitude of the challenge that lay before her. I've been given command of the new Second Expeditionary Fleet. Reasonable with the war going on to expand our forces, but I'm supposed to set it up out on the edge of the sector. Starting with minimal resources, limited number of starting ships. Hell one squadron of Plumeria an outdated Chiharu-class Flagship. At least the Taisho was able to supply me with a Iori, of course until we get a dependable resource process in place, its production will be limited.

Exiting the building she entered the Classico that had been sent to bring her to her meeting. Before the car was moving she had her Isolated Computer Pad out and was reviewing candidates for her command staff. Not surprising that most of them are a bit low in the ranks. The losses we've been taken I consider myself fortunate to have a pool to choose from. she selected a few candidates from the list and connected her pad to the PANTHEON network to have their service records downloaded. While she was at it Sorano also asked for all the data available on System SX-04, and the planet Daichi. May as well learn as much as I can about where we're setting up operations. Once we get out there access to SAoY resources will being either from the south via the 1XF or a round about path cutting through occupied systems. Too much traffic from either route is bound to get the enemies attention.

Hide, Aid to Mikasa was waiting for the Taisho when the Classico pulled up. She opened the door and bowed as Sorano stepped out. "We have our work cut out for us Onikisui-Shosa. I have pulled a list of candidates for my staff, and for commanding our first ships. I want you to review the dossiers and organize them according to qualifications." Hide accepted the ICP, "Certainly Taisho, what is going on? Why did Yui-Taisho request your presence so early." she asked.

"We've been given a great opportunity, a challenge, an honor. The SSS has requested protection from the Star Army of Yamatai. So we are going to be their protectors, partners in exploration. We have been given the challenge of creating the 2XF, a fighting force out on the edge of known space. And we have to do it with very little support from the rest of the fleets." Sorano replied.

"So what are we going to do?" Hide asked, "How do you plan to put together a fleet without the resources of the Empire to support you?"

"I plan to scrape, scrounge, all that I can before we head out. The SSS is supposed to be working on gather supplies for us. And when its all said and done if necessary we will improvise. I have been given pretty much carte blanch to accomplish our mission." Sorano answered.

Sorano closed the door to her temporary quarters depositing a stack of data pads onto the work desk. She crossed over to the cabinet above the bookshelf. Opening it she pulled out a glass and poured herself a double of whiskey. Sorano put the glass down for a moment and unbuttoned her tunic, and unbraided her hair. Taking the glass with her she crossed the room to look out the window. Her room had a wonderful view of the Ketsurui Fleet Yards, it was not the most scenic of views, but it suited Sorano just fine.

She took a sip from her glass as she watched a group of transports lifting off. Those most likely would be heading up to the Yamato. she thought taking note of where they launched from. The Yamato was a 1a version of the Chiharu-class. It was generous of the 1XF to let us pick from what was left in their depot. Not that there was much available, but with the major depots destroyed by the blasted Mishhu beggars can't be choosey.

Sorano turned away from the window and sat on the sofa. She put her feet up on the coffee table and stretched her legs. She took another sip from the glass and placed it on the table. She picked up her ICP and had it connect to the PANTHEON network using her authorization. She had a number of projects in the works, her fighter carrier concept has been approved and KFY was working on the first ship of the line. Sorano pulled a few strings to have the class ship the YSS Heitan assigned to the 2XF. Given that the Yamato was going to need a major refit once they arrived at Daichi, she wanted the carrier to use as her flagship.

The ICP showed that she had several messages in her inbox. She skimmed the subjects and found two that caught her attention. The first was from KFY, and regarded a fighter concept that she had submitted. It would make an excellent addition to the forces she would need out in the frontier.

Her communicator chimed and she picked it up. A glance at the display showed Onikisu Hide. She answered the phone, "What's up Onikisui-Shosa?" she inquired. Hide's contralto voice came clear through the unit. "Mikasa-Taisho, sorry to disturb you but you said you wanted to be kept informed as to the status of the planning for the installation on Daichi. I have been able to acquire a Katsuko-Class Colony Installation. It will be ready for pick up just after the new year. Have you given any thought to the name for the base?"

"Yes, after reviewing the suggestions from the staff I have chosen Shotou. It has a good sound and has an appropriate meaning." She replied to her aide. "Very good Taisho, I will advise the other staff members of your decision."

"Excellent work as always Onikisui-Shosa. Schedule a meeting for 0900 hrs tomorrow with the full staff. We only have a few days before we are heading out for Daichi." Sorano said hanging up before Hide could answer.

Onikisu Hide stood outside the briefing room where most of the staff for the 2XF waited. She took a moment to ensure that her appearance was satisfactory, and then looked at the data pad in her hand. The details in general were promising, with almost everything the Taisho wanted happening according to plan. But there was one clear problem, even before the NMX invasion, experienced fighter pilots were rare. The majority of soldiers were proficient in power armor, and only a small percentage were aerospace operators. Then combined with the heavy losses the Star Army had been taking, it left the pool rather depleted.

"Onikisu-Shosa, what has you in such a dour mood?" The Taisho called out from down the corridor. Hide's head snapped up, "Its the manpower requisitions. Star Army Personnel does not have a ready supply of aerospace operators to assign to the 2XF. There are a few possible officers we could probably get. We can probably send out a general request for volunteers. But I am afraid that most of them will probably be untrained personnel. Not really the optimum situation given where we are going." she said and waited for Sorano's response.

"I see, well I will have to check out the few candidates you have for my review, and then I will issue the message. Anything else?" Sorano inquired.

"All of your staff are waiting for you inside. Here is the latest progress projections for you." Hide said handing the pad to the Taisho. She watched as Sorano quickly reviewed the data. Once the Taisho was done, she opened the door and waited for her to enter. Once Sorano had entered she quietly entered behind her and closed the door. She then made her way to her position on the table.

Sorano quickly walked to the head of the table. All of the officers present bowed until she said, "Be seated people, we have much to do, and time is not our friend." She pulled out her chair and took her seat. She looked around at the faces of those in front of her. She could tell they were anxious to hear what she had to say.

"Okay, overall our progress has been exceptional. Our biggest problem so far remains personnel. We will take what we can get with us. And then we will produce what we need there if we have to. With that I want Squadron 2X-G01 dispatched immediately to Daichi. There assignment is to find us a suitable location for our base, and to start providing security for the planet."

Odoriko Seiichi Taisa picked up her pad, "I will give them their orders immediately Taisho, should we provide extra infantry members to get things started on the ground as well?"

"Yes, the more people we have on the ground there the better I will feel. Make sure that they contact the SSS representatives and let them know they are there and that we will be following shortly." Sorano replied and turned to her head of Logistics, " Sumai Awai Shosa I have instructed the Chiharu to start manufacturing some vessels for you. Not as many as I am sure you would like. But that seems to be the word of the day. However, I want you to purchase 24 Henkei Ge-Y1-4a - Prospectors. We are going to need resources, and those will be needed to help us harvest the asteroids in the system." "Hai Taisho I will have my people put in the order immediately." Awai answered.

Koishi Akiyama Shosa took this moment to speak up, "Mikasa-Taisho, what about my division? Do you have any projection as to when we will have some ships to transfer colonists and build facilities?"

"I have already queued up two ships for you. They should be ready for crewing shortly after the start of YE 32. Their first task will be to deliver the initial module for Fort Shotou." Sorano answered.

"Excellent ma'am, I will have my personnel standing by to take control of them as soon as they are ready so we can deliver the necessary items." Akiyama said with a grin.

Hide watched as each of the various commanders made their reports, and asked what questions they had. Once it was done, Sorano dismissed them. As she stood up, "Onikisu, please wait a moment, I have an errand I need you to perform." She turned to Sorano, "How may I be of service Taisho?" she asked.

"I need you to go over to the KFY facility immediately and deliver this in person." She said holding up a data pad. "It is a priority requisition order for some special equipment that we need. My authorization code has been added to it."

Hide took the pad, "I will take it of it right now ma'am." She said with bow, turned and left the conference room bound for the KFY facility.

Hide travelled to the KFY facility immediately after the meeting. What could be so special about this requisition that it could not be routed through normal channels? she wondered. Pausing on the walkway she took the data pad out of her pocket and activated it. Looking at the entries she saw two things that stood out. A Type 30 Mass Cloning Facility, Mikasa is obviously expecting to not be able to get many troop replacements from Yamatai. Reasonable given we will be behind the enemy lines so to speak. The next batch of requests is for special equipment used by SAINT. Okay so she is planning on establishing her own SAINT facility out there. I thought I saw a reference to that in her planning. Well at least now I understand why these have to be hand delivered.

Hide continued walking down the corridor and turned into the requisitions office. A harried Yamataian female whose black hair looked rather wilted looked at her, "Good Day, Welcome to Ketsurui Fleet Yards. I am Taika Chie, how may I be of service?"

Hide approached the counter, "I am Onikisu-Shosa, aide to Mikasa-Taisho of the 2XF. I have priority order from the Taisho." she said extending the datapad to the young woman. "2XF? Oh, that's the newly formed fleet. I seem to recall some designs requests come through for it, but not many equipment requisitions." she said taking the pad from Hide. She plugged the pad into her terminal and the data transferred in seconds. She took a moment to review the entries, "All the authorizations seem to be in place Onikisu-Shosa. And I see that an additional requisition for a bulk order of standard Star Army equipment has just come in." Hide watched as the woman processed the requisitions. After completing her task, she handed the data pad back to Hide, and gave her a print out with the status of the various requisitions. "There you go ma'am, all of your equipment will be packaged and ready for shipment within 36 hours."

Hide took the pad and the printout. "Thank you, I am sure that Mikasa-Taisho will be pleased with the prompt attention you have given us." She then turned and made her way out of the office heading back to her office.

Sorano meanwhile was reviewing the service report of one Numa Atsui. Overall the officer had a commendable career, in fact she was inline for her own command. That was until she had an altercation with a superior officer who provided her team with faulty intel. Most of her squadron had been wiped out because this officer failed to his job properly. While that officer was reprimanded and disciplined quietly, Numa was demoted and obviously lost her command. She sounds like a maverick to me, strong willed, and definitely the kind of person I am going to need aboard the Heitan. I think for now I will contact her commander and request her immediate transfer. Depending on how she works out as a Squadron commander I may give her that promotion back, and who knows perhaps eventually I can give her command of the carrier. she thought.

Day 360 YE 31
Sorano boarded the last transport that was heading to UX-06. There was no fanfare, no heroes celebration, she walked into the ship, and simply ordered the commander to lift ship and head for the Chiharu Starfortress at best speed. The Odori-class Medium Freighter joined up with a dozen more that fell into formation. A temporary loan from the 1SF they would only go as far as UX-06. Once offloaded they would return to their home. Sorano's plan was to load as much as possible onto the Chiharu and the other vessels that currently comprised the 2XF. Sorano looked out one of the view ports as the transport began moving away. Yamatai, my precious Yamatai. Even though I have spent the better portion of my life away from you in the service. From here you seem so small and vulnerable. she thought.

Sorano found a seat and turned on her ICP. She reviewed the messages in her inbox. Several were well wishes from colleagues, and more than a couple were asking why was she being exiled. Exiled.. Pah... this is no exile, this the opportunity of a lifetime. To build a fleet from the ground up, and establish a base of operation to strike at the Mishhu. She replied to those wishing her well, and simply deleted the negative ones. She then worked on a communiqué to be sent out to all parts of the Star Army. After sending the message she secured her computer, closed her eyes and caught some much needed sleep.

All too soon Sorano was awoken by her aide, "Taisho, we are ten minutes out, you wanted to be on the bridge. Hide said to her. Sorano shook the few remaining cobwebs of sleep out of her head, "Thank you Onikisu-San, I'll be there momentarily." Sorano watched as Hide walked away, she stood up, stretched and then picked up her bag.

When the Odori Freighter dropped out of FTL the Chiharu Starfortress was clearly visible. A short distance away Kazumi no Iori the 3XF fortress could be seen. Several of the bays on the Chiharu were open, and ships of varying shapes and sizes flew in and out. One of the bays was open and Sorano could see the frames of several warships within. Closest to the entrance was the distinctive frame of a Heitan-class carrier. Behind it a Sharie-Class was under construction as well. A small number of ships from which the 2XF would grow to a respectable fighting force one day. If fortune favors us. Sorano thought.

The Chiharu grew in the view screen as the freighter made its approach. Then the only thing visible was the interior of the bay that they were landing in. Sorano turned to the ship commander, "Thank you for the ride Commander." She said as she turned and left the bridge. She felt the landing gear of the freighter touch down as she made her way through the hallway.

She walked to the edge of cargo bay and looked down the ramp. There was a group of officers and soldiers positioned at the foot of the ramp. "Even with all that is going one, military decorum and rituals must be observed." Sorano whispered to herself. Holding herself erect she walked down the ramp, as her foot touched the deck. Hide called out, "Taisho on the deck." All of the personnel snapped to attention, and then bowed. A person near the ramp blew on a bosuns whistle. Sorano stopped for a moment and then walked the length of the honor guard while the Yamatai anthem played. When she reached the end she turned and faced the honor guard.

When the last strains of the anthem played, she cleared her throats. "I, Mikasa Sorano-Taisho, do take command of this Fortress and all those forces attached to her. At ease. Thank you for your welcome. We have a lot to do, and a short time to accomplish it. This station and all our ships present will depart for Daichi on 10/01/32. That gives us fifteen days to make sure we are as ready as possible. I know our mission seems a bit risky, establishing a base and a fleet out at such a remote location. But we are Star Army, and risk is what we are all about. These are desperate times for the Empire, and so it calls for equally desperate acts. I ask all of you, and those not present but within the reach of my voice, to answer that call. To give 100 percent of yourself, so that we can succeed. And then once we are ready, we can strike out at the forces who would crush or enslave all that we hold dear. For Yamatai!" She said. All hands present in the bay echoed the call of 'For Yamatai' repeating it several times. Sorano let it continue for moment, then held her hand up for silence. "You all have your duties, see to them. Dismissed." She said and then picked up her bag and started walking across the bay.

Hide caught up to her along with a Santô Hei, who approached the Taisho, "Ma'am if you would allow me, I will take your bags to your cabin." Sorano handed the bags and the young man turned and walked away. She turned her head to Hide, "We have a lot to do Onikisu-Shosa, but before we get started I plan on visiting the temple. I will meet you in my office in one hour." "Hai-Taisho, I will be there." Hide replied stopping to let Sorano walk alone.

Sorano walked into the Chiharu Temple chamber. Stepping in it was easy to forget that she was standing inside the station. Above her was the sky of Yamatai projected by volumetric displays. The walls of the chamber were also concealed by displays projecting an image of the landscape near the temple on Yamatai. A soft breeze made the grass sway and the willow trees ahead moved with the breeze.

She casually walked down the path, or sando as it was properly referred to. She paused to smell the bell flowers, before proceeding to the haiden. Once there she looked at the holographic image of Chiharu displayed on her bridge. Sorano paused to briefly to consider the friends and soldiers that she lost over the years to the defense of the Empire. Looking around Sorano could see a few of the priests and priestesses tending to the gardens.

Sorano walked further along the path and found an empty bench. She watched the willow tree move in the air currents. While she was uncertain as to the divinity of Chiharu, her opinion was that anything that helped bolster morale was a good thing. I believe I will use this location for important ceremonies. It is a small piece of Yamatai we are bringing with us. Holding the ceremonies here will help to remind them of what the troops are fighting for. she thought.

Standing up she slowly walked back along the path. Once she exited the chamber she picked up her pace and went to find her quarters on the Star Fortress.

Sorano made her way to her office just off the bridge of the Chiharu Star Fortress. Her aid was waiting inside for her. As Hide started to rise, she motioned for her to sit, "As you were Onikisu-Shosa. Let's go over the production reports, and I want to see the technician's report about the Yamato."

Hide passed the folder that she has been reviewing over to the Taisho. "Production is slow due to limited resources. The SSS is working on setting up a facility to process ore and have ordered a number of Henkei Ge-Y1-4a – Prospectors to help step up their production. Our order of Henkei will be filled prior to our departure with them mining the asteroid field we should be able to increase some of our production. Permission to speak freely ma'am?"

Sorano looked up from the report, "Go ahead Hide."

"Why did you choose the Yamato? You could have chosen from a number of other Chiharu-class Flagships. The Yamato is not even operational so why did you choose her?" she asked.

Sorano smiled at Hide, "Yes, on the surface I can see how it might appear strange that I would chose a ship in such condition. First you have to realize it will be many months before we have anything close to a battle ready fleet, so I can operate without a 'flagship' although for the duration I will be using the Heitan in that capacity. I will admit that part of my reason for choosing the Yamato is personal, she was a good ship under my command and in my opinion deserved a better fate than being scrapped. Just as I almost settled for a position as commandant at a training camp, or retirement. This war gave me a reason to stay in the service, and the 2XF gives the Yamato a second chance as well. I plan on incorporating a number if improvements that I wanted back when I was her skipper. We are supposed to test and develop new technologies, so the Yamato will be my test bed so to speak."

"I see, I thank you for answering my question. I believe I can understand your rationale now, ma'am. I will leave you to the reports Taisho." Hide replied and exited the office.

10/01/32

Sorano left her quarters and headed down to the bridge of the Chiharu. This is the day we have been preparing for. We have all the supplies will get from Yamatai for a while, and all the personnel and equipment we could scrounge up. she thought. She paused for just a moment to smooth her tunic before entering the bridge. The Master at Arms on the bridge called out "Admiral on the Bridge." The Admiral walked over to where the station commander was seated on the bridge. The Taisa stood up and bowed slightly to Mikasa out of respect. "Ma'am all stations, and ships are ready for departure upon your command." the brown haired Yamataian male said.

Sorano looked at the main screen on the bridge. On it she could see the majority of the ships that now comprised the 2XF. The only ships missing where those in 2X-G01 which were already at Daichi.

She turned back to the commander, "Let's get this done, give the order for all ships to engage hyperdrive and adjust their speed to match the Star Fortress." She watched as the commander turned to his communication officer, "Give the order to all ships, move out with the Chiharu."

A minute later Sorano watched the screen change to reflect that they were now underway. ETA to SX-04 and Daichi was 120 minutes. She stood watching the screen as it showed each of the ships joining entering into hyperspace. It was only after the last ship had made to the jump to light speed did she turn and leave the bridge.

15/01/32
Sorano stood in her office on the Chikaru looking out the window at the planet below. It was sunrise over Fort Shotou and she could see the location where the base was under construction. Must be nice down there, shaping a new world. Well I will be down there soon enough. Once the first phase of construction is complete I will be able to transfer down there to oversee things. So much to accomplish yet to ensure our safety. The Chiharu is operating at less than one half its production capacity so that we do not run out of resources. Hell we are still depending on the SSS's Watch Force for warning. But I asked for this challenge. Although I will feel safer once we have a functioning Defense Network in the system. she thought.

Hide came into the office, "Good day Taisho. How are you this morning? I have all the progress reports ready for your review." she said putting them on Sorano's desk.

"I am fine Onikisu-San. I will take a look at them now." Sorano replied as she took her place behind the desk. Most of them were fairly routine, progress being made slowly, requests for more personnel, equipment, material. "Everyone seems to think that they need more of everything than everyone else. Other than that I see its all moving along steadily."

Hide then picked up the Taisho's empty coffee cup. She turned and walked over to the pot kept on the warmer. After preparing a cup for Sorano; she made one for herself. She walked back to the desk and placed the cup down for the Taisho.

Sorano took the cup and breathed in the aroma for a moment. "Well at least this is one thing we are not running short of yet." She took a sip and looked back at Hide. "Have you had the opportunity to go down to the surface? I hear its quite lovely in a pristine, feral kind of way."

Hide took a moment to reply, "The only part of the surface I've been to was the main part of Shotou and that was shortly after the Katsuko-Class Colony Installation had arrived. The only reason I was down there was to deliver your latest missives to the team there. It was raining rather heavily so I did not see much." She took a sip of her coffee. "I see that the Heitan has completed her trials. Any idea of who you are going to put in charge of her?"

"I had one candidate in mind, but I need to give her some time to redeem herself in the eyes of command. So I am going with my second choice; Taii Odell, Gils he's a bit green but then most of our staff is in one way or another."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back