Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[The Free State] The Envoy, the Colossal, and the Swift

MissingNo

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Technology and NPC combination (symbiotic/restricted use)

Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=fr ... :the_envoy

Faction FM Approved Yet? Yes

Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes, possibly. Not links, but a cluster of pieces related to the primary.

Notes:
This is not a ship, but a large automata NPC, of which only one exists at a time.

I know there are things that need fixed as far as formatting and content, and I would highly, greatly appreciate it if content corrections were PMed to me or listed here instead of performed without my knowledge, mainly because I know what my article has in it now and if something were changed without letting me know then I would probably blow a gasket when I found out after RPing later and contradicting the article.

Likewise for formatting issues.

I plan on listing actual systems (forgot to list propulsion method, for example), numbers (the Colossal is only about the size of a small shuttle, trying to work out a good volume size), and the like (here's a llama), I just need this out so I can reply to the Lorath and the Iroma. I'll be researching what systems this thing has as I go, it's just going to take a wee bit of time.

Thank you for your patience and comments : )

Sorry for the double-post.

I did my best with the measurements and eyeballed the stats for most of it. Still need to research the individual components...most items I put empty brackets in and it auto-linked "Freespacers" to those empty brackets.

Though, is listing all those components really necessary? Eventually, maybe (since I plan on picking some donated materials for parts), but right now they don't seem to be essential.

- Needs overview paragraph under title header
- Title header needs to be H1, not H2
- Decide whether this is a ship or NPC and submit accordingly when this is finished.

Heading fixed. Overview paragraph is already there...removed "Overview" label so it is directly below the main header.

I am labeling it...NPC. It's a specialized SI/automata, made spaceworthy. I just wasn't sure, given that most of the article is tech-related.

Does someone need to move the thread to the Character Submission forum, or does the NPC status give it a free approval?

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to press "Save" after making the changes until after I'd posted. Changes are there now.

What's the deal with the critical equipment section?

The whole spammed "Freespacers" link thing? It's what happens when I leave double-brackets ([[ ]]) empty : /

That has been fixed, though. There are broken links, but I will consult and attempt to fix those with technology submissions.

I will also be adding flavor-text quotes on this article eventually, but it is late and I want to finish this session right quick for the night.

Meanwhile, is there anything else that needs adjusted?

Bump. It has reached the third page of the Active Topics list and the last post was over four days ago. Is there anything else I need to do for this to be approved?

Just a nitpick, but could you make the Swifts a separate article and link it here? It's not very 'neat' with them tacked on at the end: they seem like the kind of device that could be used elsewhere, and are a separate thing unto themselves.

Pending that, it's approved with the understanding that it is a one-time construction. When you link the separate Swift article here, they will also be approved.

If you think the Swifts could be used elsewhere, I can create a new article for them and include other types which would be more useful to ships, controlled by a ship's SI or (in swarms of maybe 1K+?) by a hive intelligence/distributed synthetic intelligence (like the swarm that formed a face at the end of The Matrix trilogy that was never completed <_< Nope, there was only one movie...one movie, I tell you!), and other Swifts small enough to be used in threes and fives by normal-sized automata. Hm...that'd actually be kinda cool...

Then I could link back to the types that the Colossal uses, and note that they are direct-control appendages to the automata and not independent.

I'll start on the article, please hold judgement until the article is finished.

EDIT: FINALLY finished modifying the Swift text to work on its own stand-alone page. Also modified the Envoy page to reflect this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back