• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

The "Items" Namespace - Future Plans

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
A while back we added an "items" namespace as a place to put items. It seems kind of silly we didn't have this long ago. I then began filling it with generic non-factional items like master articles for gloves, boots, etc, and other stuff used in the Star Army setting with specific information about how those things are used in the Star Army universe and who makes them. Then I filled them with hundreds of useful artworks of things like gloves, boots, tents, etc. At this point we've started to run into a few issues:
  • Previously the Products and Items data base (struct products) was applied to corp: and some factional namespaces, however...
    • These assignments are too broad and put the products fields on many pages that are not products or items
    • It's become increasingly tough to assign them to an ever increasing amount of corp and factional namespaces
  • It's become unclear whether items should reside in a corp namespace or the items one
    • Corporations can easily use struct to list all their products on their page no matter where they're located and should be using it anyway
So basically this is me saying I think it makes sense to start making all items in the items namespace from here on out no matter who makes them, and that it makes sense to eventually deprecate and discontinue assignment of Products schema to the corp and faction namespaces and only use it in the items:XXX: categories (of which items:unique: for unique character items is not one anymore). Obviously this is a major change and there will be a lot of moving to do and I don't intend to do it super fast but on a "back burner" basis.

Sidebars: I understand that some corp managers may want to use their corp sidebars with their products but my intent is to use sidebars for namespaces like items:weapons: that list weapons and so forth.

tl:dr instead of items being spread out through the wiki, it'd be nice to have them all eventually be in one place where can find them all instead of in 100+ different faction/corp namespaces.

As always I'm open to feedback on this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back