• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 The Lady of the Lake

B

Blizzard

After having spent a little time on 188604, Flynn was quite surprised to find a large body of fresh water that didn't look like sewage. Given that this planet had few spacecraft and thus no regulations on spacecraft operation, he could fly how he wished, and he wished to bring the Issoku low, with only ten meters to separate the bottom of the hull from the smooth surface of the water. He wished to fly fast, at a relatively tame speed of six hundred miles an hour, so that a large rooster-tail was kicked up behind the ship.

For Flynn, it was the little things. The sun in the cloudless sky above beamed down into the glass bubble of the Issoku's cockpit, a problem easily remedied by the dark shades he wore. He found himself lost in a low, heavy blues-rock tune that played from the ship's audio system, and was bobbing his head to the beat.

Something extremely cold and wet prodded his neck, snapping Flynn out of his reverie. Not removing his eyes from the sky ahead, he deftly reached over and patted the dog's head. Not so much a dog as a small white bear, Charles- or "Chuckie"- whined and let out a booming bark, urging his master to help alleviate the boredom of the flight. If they had been in hyperspace, Flynn would have engaged the autopilot and complied.

"Sorry, Chuck. Can't leave the controls right now. We're almost there, see?" he grinned, pointing to the nav console, where a map of the area was displayed. In the center, a blue dot, representing the Mega-Annum Dove, flashed every second. Ahead of it, about twenty miles, was a solid red dot, indicating Flynn's destination based on the coordinates he'd received.

A few minutes rolled by before Flynn saw a small speck of land on the horizon, growing larger by the second. He changed his course and reduced his speed, so that he would be able to set up a holding pattern around the island. Next, he activated the comm systems.

"Ms. Yumeoibito, this is Flynn Blackburn of the Mega-Annum Dove, requesting permission to land."

While he waited for a response, Flynn surveyed the resort from the air, and was rather impressed. It was definitely a place he'd stay in the future, when he needed a place to kick up his feet and relax with a cocktail.

The huge lake was dotted with vessels that were powered by air and crews were sean looking up at another flying craft heading towards the island that housed The Lady of the Lake that ruled and helped protect the honest citizens that worked the regien whether fishing or agriculture.

Soft voice came back through the radios speakers. "Permission granted," As a landing beacon activated to guide Mega-Annum Dove to its assigned landing spot. An apron of high grade concrete designed to take the weight of a small sized freighter before what looked like hugemongious bush with a cavern. Glimpse into the dimly lighted area shown a sleek Kawarime within the cavern.

Errowyn stepped out from the largest of the primitive log cabin the size of a small gentlemans hunting lodge. She watched the circling spacecraft with interest. Ragnarock Mercs patrolled the area as they watched with interest, but made no move to intercede, yet they carried enough armament to conduct a small brush battle if the need arose.

Errowyn took a sip of her cool drink as she watched. She glanced around the skies for any other crafts that she didnt recognize.

"Roger." Flynn muttered and guided the Issoku to the beacon. The craft came in for a fast, yet flawless landing, a testament to Flynn's military experience. After a few moments, the engines slowly came to a stop, and the ship sat motionless and silent. Then, with a loud hiss, the side ramp began to lower from the bottom of the ship. At the top of it stood Flynn, dressed in chinos, brogues, and a baby blue hawaiian shirt with depictions of small tropical islands dotted across it. He reached up and removed his aviators from his face, tucking them into his front shirt pocket. He was unarmed, yet held a calm smile despite the heavy presence of mercenaries around him. Slowly, he began to amble down the ramp, giving a small wave to Errowyn. Behind him, a massive great pyrenees appeared at the top of the ramp, and made a move to follow, its tongue hanging out of its maw and its tail swinging furiously from side to side. Flynn looked over his shoulder and muttered "stay". With a small whine, the dog retreated up the ramp and laid down at the entrance, guarding the vessel from trespassers like it had been trained to do.

Flynn then approached Errowyn. Being very knowledgeable of Yamataian custom, he bowed to about thirty degrees. Not too casual, not too formal- It was a business gesture.

"Ms. Yumeoibito. It's an honor to meet the 'Lady of the Lake'." he greeted as he stood back up.

"Let your pet run free. None will bother your ship." She gave a soft smile and a quick return bow. "Have a seat," waving to one of the comfortable porch chairs with nearby tables. She was wearing a short pastel green skirt and halter top exposing sun browned skin. She had her hair in a loose ponytail hanging freely down her back. "Care for some refreshments before we get down to business?"

Flynn nodded in understanding and looked over his ship, giving a small wave to Chuck. With a happy bark, the beast padded down the ramp and darted off into the surrounding wilderness. He took a moment to quickly size up his possible business partner, like he'd learned to do while smuggling. Standing barely over five feet, with a slender, feminine frame and a face that could kill, it was no wonder most discredited the nekovalkyrja as nothing more than mass-produced ornaments of Yamatai, their function to look pretty and sell pinups. But Flynn was no novice. He knew that nekos were genetically modified killing machines, coming out of their hemosynth chambers fully trained in the art of war, and then trained some more. On her exposed legs and arms, he spotted the barest inkling of muscle, a telltale sign of such training. It was easy to miss, but Flynn noticed the way she carried herself, and from that he got the strong impression that he was speaking to a very competent and dangerous pilot. Perfect.

"Yes, thank you. I'll have whatever you're having, Ms. Yumeoibito." Flynn replied as he obliged her command, choosing one of the chairs and crossing one leg over the other.

As she moved to get refreshments. "Errowyn, please. Mr. Blackburn or if you prefer Flynn?" Glancing over her shoulder at him as she paused at the door to the lodge.

"No problem, Errowyn. Flynn works just fine with me."

Errowyn nodded and disappeared inside the house. After a few minutes returned with a tray with a soft orange drink with icecubes in a pitcher that had condensation on it and a glass that was turned upside down to keep dust and other foriegn matter out of the glass. She set the tray on the table next to him. Uprighted the glass and poured the drink onto the glass. "Here ya go. Help yourself to seconds as needed."

Errowyn took her glass after she topped of her drink and took a seat on the other side of the table from him, lounging back in the lounge chair. "Sooo..." letting it fade as she took a sip, letting him take the lead in the conversation.

Occasionally a loud sqawkings could be heard from the surrounding brush and native avians taking flight from being disturbed by Chuck foraging and his occasional barks of pleasure at being free to stretch and do his/her thing.

"Well, business first, I suppose," Flynn began, producing a datapad. "I work for a man named Candon Suites. He's just started a shipping company here on 188604. If you recall from my message, I was hired by Jason Argo to fly a shipment of military-grade ore to this system here."

On the screen, a star map was displayed, which quickly zoomed in on one star on the outer reaches of the frontier. From there, the image transitioned to a map of the system, showing a few planets, an asteroid belt, and a large red band that signified a blockade. Flynn took a sip of his drink.

"Problem is, I have to get through a blockade. Now, I'll be honest, I used to be a smuggler. This sort of thing was my bread and butter. But the reason I come to you is because I need a little extra insurance. Yamataian blockade? Nepleslia? Abwher? I'd do just fine on my own. They wouldn't try to shoot me on sight, probably just give chase and try to disable my engines. But this time around, we're dealing with those slimy buggers... er... Kuvexians? Yeah, Kuvexians. Though this blockade may be comprised of more Rixxikor ships than actual Kuvexian Navy."

Flynn looked up from the datapad at Errowyn. "This is where you come in. I saw that Kawarime on my way in. There's a smuggling tactic known as the 'butterfly'. We come out of hyperspace on the far reaches of the system, where we look like nothing more than space debris on their scanners. Next, we aim for the blockade, but not directly at it, and go full throttle for a few minutes to build speed. The average speed of an asteroid is fifty-five thousand miles an hour, so when I get to that speed, I'll shut off power and slide right below, barely making a blip on their sensors-."

Errowyn held up her hand to stop him. Then she spoke softly all business like. "First of all. Who are these Rixxikors and Kuvexians? I will need data on them before I agree to anything. Much less pull my Kawarime out. If I am doing the piloting of your ship. I will need some time at the helm to get a feel of your ship, Flynn."

Flynn raised an eyebrow at her incredulously.

"My apologies, I'd assumed you'd heard. It's sort of big news around the galaxy these days."

She looked at him over the rim of her glass to take a drink, then lowered it "As you see. I have other worries to deal with before I look outward at the galaxy. I dont fly unless I know what I am facing. Even then its still feasible I may turn you down. As I am under contract and need to let my employer know that I will be moonlighting." She looked at him with her emerald eyes sparkling in the ambient light of the day.

Flynn let out a small chuckle and sipped his drink. It was going to take him a while to adjust to legal work. Most of the time, when looking for a partner for a job, you just waved a few KS in a pilot's face and they would jump on board. He took a moment to study those eyes before continuing.

"Right. Sorry about that. The Kuvexians are this new race of squid-things that the SA ran into last year, and are engaged in war with. They're equal to Yamatai in almost every way. They've got power armors, aether weapons, advanced starships, cloned soldiers, the works. The only difference between them is that the Kuvexians have this religious fanaticism that surpasses even Yamatai's worship of the Empress.

The Rixxikor, on the other hand, are this real nasty group of bugs. They resemble bipedal roaches, if that wasn't bad enough. They multiply like roaches, too, meaning that there's probably a few trillion of them in space. The Kuvexians have been using them as a sort of proxy army due to their sheer numbers. They're the lesser threat of the two. Technology-wise, they're more rag-tag than the Freespacers. Their ships will make up the majority of this blockade."

Errowyn looked thoughtful as she listened to the information being given. "When do you plan to make this run? And where do I come in at?" She tucked her feet up next to her after sliding the sandals off her feet.

Flynn shrugged. "Candon's still negotiating prices with Arccos. Once that's done, I can move.

What I need you to be is my 'butterfly'. When I go cold and drift past the blockade, I'll look like a rogue asteroid on their sensors. They may not pay much mind to me, but eventually they'll figure it out. Before they do, I need you, the 'butterfly', to go hot and put on a violent display. You don't have to do any real damage, just put on a flashy display that draws their attention from me. Once I'm clear of the blockade, I'll power up and burn out of there. That's when you can break off and follow me in-system."

Errowyun gave it thought. "What about egressing from the system after you do your thing there. Unless you are planning on staying for awhile." She took a sip of her drink and set the glass on the table. She looked away from him out over the lake to a distance sail moving a long the horizon.

Flynn peered over at the picturesque scene as well.

"That's the trick with things like this. Normally, after you run a blockade, they send ground troops to search any possible starports you may have docked at. I've handled Rixxikor before, they're nothing more than street thugs, and dumb as bricks. We may have to stay a day or so before they give up and leave. Once that's done, we can simply burn past the blockade and jump to FTL. They'll be looking for people coming in-system, rather than out."

He cracked a joking grin. "You're welcome to stay in one of the guest rooms on my ship while we wait for the heat to die down. Nothing like a quiet dinner for two in the cramped galley of an Issoku."

"How much are you willing to hire me for?" Errowyn turned her eyes upon him after glancing at his ship gleaming in the afternoon sunlight.

"Well, we're sharing equal amounts of danger, so how does a fifty-fifty split of earnings sound?"

Errowyn looked thoughtful, breaking eye contact to watch several of the armed guards making a lazy stroll a long their path of roving patrol. They was lighter dressed due to the heat of the day. "Plus I get the cost of ordiances used, plus the repair cost for damaged sustained to my craft." She looked back at him. her eyes were as cold and hards as the gems they resembled in color.

Flynn mulled over this for a moment. In the end it seemed fair.

"We're unlikely to take any serious damage on this run, but I'll pay for it personally out of my earnings. Although, you have to understand, whatever I earn I'll need to pay for my own ship, and at the end of each month, forty percent of those earnings go to my boss. I'll agree, because I'm paying for a top-notch fighter ace, but I need my own pound of flesh here. Will you help me on future runs? There may be situations where I need a gunner, or a co-pilot on an exceptionally long haul. Ever wanted to fly a freighter?"

"I have already flown freighters," Errowin gave him a smile that warmed her expression up. "And I make no promices on future flights. But you are more than welcome pay visits if you need my services after this run. Partner." She reached to the pitcher, "Need a refill?" As she filled her glas with more of the juice. "I will need a week to prep my craft. And be given the information to rendezvious for this run."

Flynn graciously accepted the pitcher and looked over at the Kawarime. When he'd first joined the Nepleslian Navy, he'd done so with the sole purpose of becoming a fighter pilot like the recruitment posters had assured him he could be. After watching Errowyn's expression change from warm hostess to serious warrior, he began to see the similarities between pilot and ship. Sleek, yet deadly. He had the feeling he'd made an excellent choice by coming here. He stood and extended his hand.

"Deal."

Errowyn stood with easy grace and took his hand delicately in hers. Giving it a quick shake and a quicker bow to seal the deal. "Let me know when your ready depart." Releasing his hand. "Enjoy your stay here if you are not in a hurry to get back to where ever you came from." She then stepped back one step to give the meeting was over with. At least the business part of it.

Flynn smiled and peered out over the lake. Along the shore, Chuck was busy messing with a crab-like creature that honestly would have preffered to be left alone. Flynn decided that the animal needed some well-deserved exercise after being trapped in a ship for the past week.

"If it's all the same to you, I may stay a little while. I just came from Uso's neck of the woods. It's a little too dusty there for my liking. This, on the other hand," he looked at Errowyn and gestured out to the scenery. "Is quite nice."

"I think so too." Errowyn smiled softly. "Those buildings are for guest to change into swimming apperral if desired," Pouinting to a small building next to the dock that stuck out into the lake. "I take your boss will be travelling with us?" She settled back onto her lounge chair.

"Oh, no. He's currently deployed on a Star Army vessel somewhere. It'll just be us."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back