• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

The PIG

You do realize almost all contemporary starships float on water and can withstand the stresses of an impact landing to water right?

With the exception of course of a few glorified rockets which weren't intended for re-entry in the first place.

Assuming two star ships do land in water next to each other, it isn't like you can walk between them without some extra gear or actually docking the two ships together.

This falls into that 'extra gear' category. After all a small floaty island thing would be amazing for the crew of a ship to hop out onto and stretch their legs or preform external repairs, or receive cargo. All of which becomes more complicated if you can only stand on the ship itself.

Or basically: If the ship isn't made for a water landing, it can with the pig.

If the ship can already land in the water, it can do it better with the pig.

1. How does the foam dry in the water?
2. How is the surface of the foam convenient to walk on? I see one part about it being extra smooth on the top but that just makes it seem more slippery. For something to be usable it needs to be fairly flat and able to have traction, even in the rain.
3. What sort of pollutants is this plastic foam leaving in the water as it breaks down?

1. How does the foam dry in the water?

Added a few bits of text in the description about the foam cooling off into this shape. Added several entries to ‘constraints’ section to better outline how this works.

2. How is the surface of the foam convenient to walk on? I see one part about it being extra smooth on the top but that just makes it seem more slippery. For something to be usable it needs to be fairly flat and able to have traction, even in the rain.

In retrospect ‘small plastic bubbles’ is probably not the best description I’ve ever used.
Added a paragraph about what the material is like to walk on. I think this more effectively communicates what I was going for.

3. What sort of pollutants is this plastic foam leaving in the water as it breaks down?

Added a bit to ‘constraints’ about environmental impact of the PIG.

...wasn't this an April's Fools joke?

No, seriously, portable star ship islands.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back