• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Torpedo Updates

CadetNewb

Well, I'm not sure if this should be posted in the NTSE, considering it's not really new - rather, I'm just working on some torpedo stuff, and realized that both the Nepleslian and Yamataian systems could use a bit more detailing. I can easily put in descriptions of how each round/ammo type works to fluff it up nicely, though, I admit what I'd end up doing would be either copy-pasta, or generating remarkably similar descriptions for each since I'd be the same guy working on both. Still, It's better that what's currently there.

Aside from a yes or no to that offer, I'm also looking for something else.

How do the torpedoes look when used in character? I mean, when in FTL, do you still 'see' them coming, or do they wink out before reappearing for the last bit of their run? And what about their thruster colors? I'm hoping someone can toss me a bone here.

FTL torpedoes are essentially streaks of whatever engine trail/light they might emit on their way to target - if that. Going as fast as a laser pretty much means the naked eye ends up seeing the same thing: not a whole lot until the 'boom'.

Sublight torpedoes are not much better when they're a sizeable portion of the speed of light, and more SARP torpedoes are presently that. 100 000kps is still ridiculously fast to the human eye and ability to picture visuals.

Personally, I'd rather you don't. It leaves me, as GM, power of interpretation.

Nothing stops you, of course, from designing your own torpedoes and describing them the way you like, though.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back