• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Two Character Creation Guides?

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
'Lo then... I'm new here, and while everything looks to be extremely up my alley, there's a few questions to be had:

1) What's up with the character creation guide(s?)? In one place it says the old point system is gone, but other links I've seen seem to contradict that. If there's some revision going on that's midway through completion, I'm fine, I just need to know...

2) On that note, would anyone with a little spare time and a good chunk of patience be willing to help me with character creation? Most of my confusion stems from conflicting guides here and there, but a little more info on the state of the universe and suchforth would help, too. (I plan on making a fairly minor enlisted infantryman or ship's cook or something, nothing too complicated... at first.)

3) Has anyone else had trouble downloading Yahoo Instant Messenger? I've tried twice and it doesn't seem to want to install... which seems to be a potentially major problem hereabouts.

4) Uhhh... there is no #4.

5) There is, however, a number five... namely: What's a good storyline to insert my (for now theoretical) character in, given the above items (especially the current lack of YIM)? I figure, I can look myself and see what there is to see, but the veteran members would know best.

Thanks!

Its best to just drop yourself in one of the starship RPs with a soldier fresh out of training. As for the CCG, its easier to look at some completed character sheets and go off of that.

Hi Andrew. Welcome aboard. We already have a player named Andrew here, so we might need to call you something else. (joke)

1) The CCG is currently under construction, but I think there's enough stuff there to create a character. It's up to Wes to decide whether new players can still use the old system.
In the mean time, check out Lenwe Veneanar and Henry Chen in the biographies section. James made Lenwe using the new system. I've modified Henry to be compatible with the new system.

2) If there's any questions regarding the guide or the setting, ask away on this thread.

3) I'm a computer-guy-in-training, so I'm not sure if my solution would work. And, you use it at your own risk, but there shouldn't be any problems. I've only had one computer start smoking in front of me. Anyway, it's worth a try:
- Download YIM.
- Disable your internet connection. (In a reversible manner. Don't cut the cable or anything.)
- Turn off any anti-virus or firewall programs. They might be interfereing with the install.
- Try installing YIM.
- Don't forget to turn your anti-virus and firewall programs back on before connecting to the internet. You wouldn't believe how fast it is for unprotected computers to get infected with all sorts of nasty stuff. (~ 5 minutes)
If that doesn't work, sorry about wasting your time.

5) The Nozomi plot is run by someone who knows what he's doing, but it usually involves chat RP. The Celia plot is mostly board RP, but the plot moves at a glacial pace, mostly due to the lazy and incompetent plot GM (me). Take your pick. ^_^

To elaborate, sections one and two of the new Character Creaition Guide are up (but not fully completed), while section three has not been crated yet. Because of this, the new CCG still uses the old one's third section. That's why the examples have the points system and such. As Yangfan said, ask here whenever you find something confusing or have a question. I will get back to you within minutes if I'm online; if I'm not, I'll answer it when I return.

I am trying to get the new system in place, so please use that, not the skills system with the 1-10 numbers.

Hello to all! The new new guy is confused. ;)

Could someone help me a bit. Firstly, is Star Army only this game or is it based on same anime? I'm just wondering as you have so much background information here... :)

And secondly, what is the current situation in the game? I've been able to find out there is a war going on and I guessed the war is between the Star Army and the Elysians. Is this right? If so, which side is currently winning?

This information would help me a lot, as I will create my character based on this information.

P.S. I like to be the underdog and be on the losing team. That way victories feel a lot better and it creates better roleplaying.

P.P.S. Thank you for helping.

Greetings and salutations Carl

No Stararmy is not based on any series of anime. Or at least I don't think it is. It's all come out of the relevant players heads.

Actualy the Stararmy is not currently at war with the Elysians, there was a war and the Yamatai star empire won. However there is a war going on between the stararmy and the Mishu (this is a shortened version of their full name which I can't spell).

If you like being the underdpg you might try playing a renegade Elysian, or even create your own race of underdogs. Then you can happily game with their disadvantage.

After the Elysians lost the war, they became part of the Yamatai Star Empire, and were allowed to live their lives. They really weren't "punished" so to speak, I don't think, but just had the Star Army's eye on them.

Can we mop-up our guides a little/combine resources for some? We have multiple guides for some instances (such as with Freespacers, IIRC) that could probably be quickly looked over and scrambled into a singular, stronger guide. Obviously we don't need a single guide for everything (we got a basic guide for that), but the split racial guides and such really makes things ridiculous or has us still using outdated material/links.

Can we mop-up our guides a little/combine resources for some? We have multiple guides for some instances (such as with Freespacers, IIRC) that could probably be quickly looked over and scrambled into a singular, stronger guide. Obviously we don't need a single guide for everything (we got a basic guide for that), but the split racial guides and such really makes things ridiculous or has us still using outdated material/links.
Added to my list of feedback.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back