• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Type 30 City Block

Well, I must say I like it. Though we're talking about some major terraforming if this is used. A few issues I thought of though:

What's the construction time?
If this is going to be widely deployed, it should probably be something reasonable, but in general how long would these take to build?

Speaking of Earthquakes
During an earthquake the blocks completely separate, what's stopping the soil that separates each block from falling down and filling up those areas? This would make it difficult to impossible to reconnect the blocks as well as potentially create some problems on the upper sectors.

On the Anri...
The Anri is experimental right now, and it looks like there are only 10 in the entire First XF. One of them is a plotship so it's not likely to be building these puppies on a consistent basis.

What is the future of this project
Are we talking terraforming new worlds, or modifying existing ones(that are already colonized), or both? How many are you expecting to make? Perhaps this might merit a small squadron of Anri-class ships, or if it's big enough a small fleet?

On the price
I know we don't use a pricing system in sarp (other than saying "it's expensive"), but my question is this: Is this cheaper than a more traditional terraforming method?

The construction time for each, assinging it was done on an Anri, is likely a few days to a week assuming all materials are readily available, due to the large amount of standardization between these blocks. If materials have to be synthesized, it can take notably longer. An Anri can make and hold a maximum of four at any given time.

Edit: Ah, you mean the connections for the highways. I must admit that was an oversight. Thanks for catching that one! I've addded some basic gravity control systems to keep that collapse from happening.

This would then require more Anris be built, or that the City Blocks be built by Star Fortresses in some cases. It is also possible, I suppose, to dock an Ayame Layer to a ship with fabrication abilities and materials to produce one.

The city blocks can be used as needed, but are intended more for colonizing worlds we already have. It's part of a public works program Yaichiro plans to propose to the Yamataian government. The UOC will also have the City Block to cater to their needs.

No, it is by no means cheaper than a conventional method. However; since it is largely made out of Yamataium and can resist/repair wear and tear over geological time scales, its utilities are far easier to control and repair than buried utilities, are energy independent, and have various other benefits described in the wiki; these city blocks are meant to last FAR longer than conventional ones. In the long run, it's worth the investment.

It is also an effort to apply the manufacturing and regulation techniques and technologies learned in starship design over the past several decades of combat into a peacetime public project.

Could you please replace the images with edited versions? The current ones need to be cropped and the background color set to #000040.

I can use the wiki syntax to crop the images without a problem (unless they should have text), I've found out, but the background is a constant in the 3-D rendering program I've used. It's not DOGA, but completely different.

I've been using it all along and this is the first time you've brought up the background being black as a problem. I'll see what I can do, but I can't make guarantees.

The wiki can't crop images, only resize them.

Any decent grapics program should do. Even MS Paint can crop and fill.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back