• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Type 33 Star Army Communications Network Encryption System

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
Submission Type: Security / Encryption system
Submission URL: Type 33 Star Army Communications Network Encryption System

Faction: Yamatai
FM Approved Yet?

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes, the SACN Access Nodule
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: The SACNES is intended to counter the cyberthreat of the IWL and soldiers and equipment that has fallen into the NMX.

SACN Access Nodule

Re: Type 33 Star Army Communications Network Encryption Syst

I actually kind of like this. But I have to ask, have the IWL done anything beyond verbal declarations to warrant it's production? I mean, with Strangelove gone it's kind of ringing hollow to continue with the IWL stuff.

The other thing that has me curious is how would these nodules be installed? Would the Neko/Yamataian have to ST to a 'upgraded' body made via a Hemosynth tank or would some form of surgery take place for its installation?

I would think a firmware update could be done with Neko and Yamataian bodies. *shrugs*

Possibly. It'd bypass the need for invasive surgery.

The SACNES is also to intended to counter the problem of the NMX having acquired lots of SAOY tech, and producing their own NH-29's.

The upgrade procedure has been added to the SACN Access Nodule page.

If a system fails to ping within 84 minutes it is flagged as Red/Untrusted.
Capture or destroy on sight
Isn't this a little extreme? There a lots of reasons why a Star Army ship might be unable to communicate for that long. I think it would be more reasonable to have the worst automatic status be orange. Automation should never mark a friendly ship as "destroy on sight" unless we're positive it's become an enemy.

Hmmm now who was it that told me to make Red that....

Okay, there are now two levels of orange. The first for failing pings the system is placed in limited status

Should the ship report boarding, it is placed into untrusted status.

If the ship reports its been boarded and its systems accessed, it goes red and must surrender to another vessel or be fired upon.

Everything seems good to me. Anyone have any objections?

I'd insert a list of vulnerabilities for GM use.

Would also be a good idea for there to be some kind of post letting all SAoY Officers, NCO's and Enlisted personnel this is mandatory. That way they could edit in the nodule link into their bios

I'm not going to list vulnerabilities, because no one has ever had to do that with any submission. That would be tantamount to saying okay I created this new tech, GM's here is how you can ignore it. Not gonna happen.

As for an announcement, that would be up to Wes.

Then what happens when that question comes up? Are you saying this is a completely fool proof system that cannot be broken into?

Edit: Which in case kinda makes it a broken overpowered piece of tech.

I never said it is completely fool proof. It is however the result of several months of brainstorming to come up with a system that is very difficult to break, and even then any break would be of limited duration.

What I am saying is I am under no obligation to spell out specifics in an open environment, so that in a day or two someone can submit a piece of tech to exploit those specifics.

And for the record, a system that can not broken into is not OP, we have them today. It is call a system that has no external access.

Code:
I never said it is completely fool proof. It is however the result of several months of brainstorming to come up with a system that is very difficult to break, and even then any break would be of limited duration.

Wouldn't this remove several interesting RP angles?

Code:
What I am saying is I am under no obligation to spell out specifics in an open environment, so that in a day or two someone can submit a piece of tech to exploit those specifics.

So your keeping the drawbacks to a system everyone will have to deal with... to yourself?

Code:
And for the record, a system that can not broken into is not OP, we have them today. It is call a system that has no external access.

This system has a connection to every Yamatain warship.... I don't think you can label this as a system with no external access and with it's scale it should be extremely vulnerable in areas.

Wouldn't this remove several interesting RP angles?

Nope, in fact if a plot were to be trying break into the network, this makes it harder, meaning the players would OMG, actually have to think and be creative. Because they would have a limited window of access.

So your keeping the drawbacks to a system everyone will have to deal with... to yourself?

Arieg, the page does what a Submission requires. It tells how it works, how it affects the players. So no I am not going to provide a list of things that a person could do to compromise it.

This system has a connection to every Yamatain warship.... I don't think you can label this as a system with no external access and with it's scale it should be extremely vulnerable in areas.

Hmm, I never did label this system as no external access, you took what I said out of context. You said that making the system robust and hard to break into was OP, and I merely pointed out that in good old 20th Century tech we can and do make systems that no one can hack into. This submission is not OP.

Arieg, I think the point you're missing is the Nash did a lot of work to come up with this tech, so if someone wants to nullify it then they're going to need to do equally as much work. If he provides all of the weaknesses then now a player from an opposing faction just needs to say that his character came up with that solution all by themselves. The general point is that this system can be broken into and can be circumvented, it's just going to take some actual RP and character knowledge to achieve that goal.

I see just one problem. IWL never became realy threat, it did not even properly launched any actions. Why would then Yamatai device this to counter it?

We already declared war on them in the RP. Even if they are not a real threat to us we took it seriously..

It is also for more than just the IWL. The NMX has Nekos and lots of SAOY equipment in their hands. This helps keep them from getting into the network.

And unless someone ICly says the IWL has changed their minds, they are still out there.

Approved

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…