• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

U1-b repost.

Alex Hart

FM of NDC
🎖️ Game Master
Submission Type: Mecha system
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:u-1b_booster_module#systems_and_statistics

Faction:USO
FM Approved Yet? (Yes/No; Who, When) No @Zack
Faction requires art? (Yes/No) no.

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (Yes/No) no
Contains New art? (Yes/No) no
Previously Submitted? (Yes/No; explain reason if rejected) no

Notes: While the U-1b can be used as both a weapon and propulsion system, for the purposes of load out creation, it should be treated as a level 11 weapon under the new damage revision. I'd like to get this all wrapped up @Fred @Doshii Jun, because this has been up on the wrong forum, and then the right one for about a week.

Looking at this, I don't see much wrong with it.

I would like any mentions of Tier 11 replaced with the actual 'purpose'.

"The strike mode blade is an medium anti-starship weapon..." and so forth.

You may want to correct "Yamataian" for "Yamataian" under DESIGN.

I have some reservations at to the acquisition of the technology, but I'm neither a NTSE mod nor an FM, nor have I context beyond this single article. So I'll defer that judgment to others more qualified.

From my standpoint, it actually seems kind of cool. I think my only real gripe with it is that the speed provided is nearly equal between mecha and fighter modes. Then I wonder, why at all have a fighter mode when the mecha one is already so fast. But that's opinion - not something that ought to impede approval.

Fred said:
why at all have a fighter mode when the mecha one is already so fast

The actual IC reason for this is that 'Alex Hart wanted a variable fighter so he went and built one'. Luckily he has some very talented engineers to help him out, some of which almost certainly brought up this point. It is really a passion project for the character. Ontop of this USO doesn't have the people to spare to build a well fleshed out library of technology, so if Alex builds this USO is happy to mass produce it.

I can come up with an answer, though... while in space the mecha won't perform much better in fighter mode than in mecha mode, in atmosphere the fighter mode will vastly outperform the mecha at any appreciable speed. So, while that's not the reason the design was made, it's something the design could be useful for.

There are academic questions I could raise about this, but they'd be beyond the point of this thread.

I'm judging this article by itself, not the rest of its companion pieces, and it seems okay in my eyes. All my requests have been met, so...

Approved

RPG-D RPGfix
Back