Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Um. New uniforms?

I think they are good. No offense to whomever thought out the last Nepleslian uniforms, but I didn't like them. I think that yours, Fian, look a lot more modern and dynamic. Clean too.

While I understand Nepleslians are about manliness and grittiness, a new image for their spacefaring army might suit them.

Thanks, my general idea was that the SAoN needs to look formal for the first contact events and such, therefore the officers are formally (over?)dressed.

While the peons need to have the kind of flexibility and comfort, not to mention atleast look neat. But what I worry is that mabye the detail on them might not be enough. Should I add anything?

the third problem is, these uniforms are inspired from some of my earlier works, and does not bear any resemblence to the unifroms of the SAoN now. Originally these uniforms were brown to orangish, but the SAoN's offical colour is green, the Elisted can be easily be coloured in green, but the officers would lose their formality if so.

Fourth, where are the ranks and insignas going to be placed? >_<

But though, Tom has already seen this, and he told me to post it up for evaluation. Which is what I'm doing now.

And also, I like this because the loose sleeves/panths contrasts the tight leather look of Yamatai :p ( Not to mention those bands on the sleeves are actuallythese )

I think they look great, but the tie on the officer variant seems out of place on a military duty uniform. It could get caught, or get in the way, or something (unless it's buttoned to the belt, and your drawings simply cannot show that). Just a note on practicality, but again, the drawings look great.

Concerning the rank insignia, the Nepleslians currently wear them on their shoulders, much like the United States did during the Civil War (and still does on certain uniforms, I believe), and it looks like you've got places where the current rank insignia could be placed easily. However, with the large collars on these uniforms, large, showy collar tabs could be stylish (The types that the WW2 Germans used).

raz said:
I think they look great, but the tie on the officer variant seems out of place on a military duty uniform. It could get caught, or get in the way, or something (unless it's buttoned to the belt, and your drawings simply cannot show that).

Its tucked in at the belt :p

I really don't see how that keeps it fastened down in active situations.

Me likey. Me likey very much...

Even if these don't work for conventional uniforms, could they work as dress uniforms? You'd wear those for first contact anyway, right?

MM007 said:
Even if these don't work for conventional uniforms, could they work as dress uniforms? You'd wear those for first contact anyway, right?

Yep.

I really don't see how that keeps it fastened down in active situations.

Yeah, I think that is a problem. Perhaps a button, or permission to remove it alltogether during a fight?

I'm working on a lower officer/higher enlisted and a higher officer version now though.

I think the outfits are pretty kickin' rad.

As for the rankings, the old ones kind of sounded goofy, so Derran and I brainstormed one day and made a list of ranks that would sound a lot better as well.

I think we'll integrate those with the new outfits if they're approved.

OLD RANKINGS:

Soldier 3rd class, 2nd class, 1st class, master soldier, Sub Sergeant, Sergeant, High Sergeant, Master Sergeant, Sub Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Captain, Master Captain, Commander, Commodore, Admiral, Master Admiral

NEW RANKINGS:

Enlisted Ranks

Soldier 3rd class
Soldier 2nd class
Soldier 1st class
Sergeant

Warrant Ranks

Cadet 3rd grade
Cadet 2nd grade
Cadet 1st grade
Sub lieutenant

Officer Ranks

Lieutenant (2nd officer on a ship)
Lt. Captain (1st officer on a ship)
Captain (In control of one ship)
Major (Special administrative rank for flag aides, or in charge of ship)

Command Ranks (fleets)

Commodore ( 4 per fleet, each serving 1/4 of fleet)
Rear Admiral (1/2 the fleet)
Admiral (1 fleet)
Grand Admiral (Commander and Chief)

Wooo. The Nepleslian ranking just got a lot more simple to understand. All those sergeants were bugging the hell out of me.

I thing the rank change works, but I like the uniforms I designed better. They're simple (not a lot of components), comfortable, and easy to get on/off. The proposed new ones have a lot of exaggurated features.

Artistically interesting, but I think as a military uniform the established ones probably work better. Or maybe I always had a thing for Chinese military (which Nepleslia is so clearly based on, seriously, take a look...)?

New ranks make me not scream in terror at Nepleslian military ranking!

I like the uniforms, I like them a lot. I like them so much, I wish my Miles character could wear one, without getting shot.

Maybe our friend Fian can apply his artistic skills to the old design to give it a refresher? (So we can see both the outfits from one artist's perspective)

Then we can make comparisons and decide which one to keep.

Whatcha think?

Now now dont take me for granted >_<

(Goes back to watching the outcome of this thread from the sidelines)

I think it's a lovely piece of art - but I'm not sure if it's uniform. Don't get me wrong - they look very cool, just not like they're in an army.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back