Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[UMC] Atomic Disintegrator Ray

This review is for: [UMC] Atomic Disintegrator Ray

The submitted article is/has…
[ ] A very high level of overall quality
[x] A general topic sentence under the title header
[ ] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
[ ] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[x] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[x] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[ ] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[ ] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[-] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[ ] Obtusely redundant
[ ] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[ ] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[ ] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[ ] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[ ] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[ ] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[ ] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[-] Lacking Detail
[ ] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[ ] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[x] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[x] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Note here if any serious issues are present. These are the issues that will hold up approval.
** Overpowered - unlimited range

Notes

It's energy-to-matter converter gives this weapon unlimited ammo, this is also coupled with how it doesn't need to stop to cool down, AND has unlimited range, makes the weapon overpowered. Also, there is no listing for power, where does it get it's power from?

Amplitude? Makes no sense at all, please simplify this or add a list of what each number does.

The other issue is that it's contant rate of fire mens that ideally it's damage would go 'up' as time went on.

I intend to finish this review by: Finished

In waveform analysis, "amplitude" essentially refers to the "height" of a wave, rather than the "length" of the wave. I'm using it here to refer to the ununoctium particles inside the gamma ray beam. The particles are extremely energetic, and the "amplitude" dial lets the user turn down the maximum possible energy reached by those particles inside the beam by reducing the power of the accelerator. I will include this in the article.

The weapon's power comes directly from the power armor wielding it, which is what makes this a PA-only weapon. I will include that in the article.

What's the point of limiting its range? Most weapons have effectively unlimited range in space just due to the dynamics of being in a vacuum.

The other issue is that it's contant rate of fire mens that ideally it's damage would go 'up' as time went on.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you clarify?

The gamma ray sheath containing the hyper-accelerated Ununoctium-294 particles heats up the target to deadly temperatures upon impact, and the high-energy radioactive particles smash apart the atomic bonds holding the target together, causing it to disintegrate into the superheated remains of its base components. Deals more damage per second the longer it is held over a single target, as the speed and efficiency of the atomic decay increases due to the breakdown of structural molecules.
Can we get some sources cited that show this is actually possible?

Wes said:
The gamma ray sheath containing the hyper-accelerated Ununoctium-294 particles heats up the target to deadly temperatures upon impact, and the high-energy radioactive particles smash apart the atomic bonds holding the target together, causing it to disintegrate into the superheated remains of its base components. Deals more damage per second the longer it is held over a single target, as the speed and efficiency of the atomic decay increases due to the breakdown of structural molecules.
Can we get some sources cited that show this is actually possible?
This is SARP! It doesn't need to be possible. Heck look at the hpar.

What's the point of limiting its range? Most weapons have effectively unlimited range in space just due to the dynamics of being in a vacuum.

Although it may never happen, the reason the unlimited range is a problem is because if pvp is ever added to the site, most players will not enjoy being hit (and potentially killed) by a weapon being fired thousands of kilometers away, it kills enjoyment and fun (and that's the point of RP, to have fun and enjoy one self, while some players might enjoy this - others do not)

So, please add a range to this ok?

Okay, I will try to think of way to limit its range that makes scientific sense, something like uh... "The Gamma Ray sheath breaks apart at X distance and the resulting loss of energy causes the ununoctium particles to veer off target, making it ineffective at ranges above X."

EDIT: Implemented the previously-mentioned fixes, as well as describing how long the weapon can be fired before it overheats.

The biggest problem I see is the space range, your substance has a half-life of between 1.07 ms and .31 ms going with the longer time,

light moves at 299,792,458 metres per second, your material breaks down in .001 s, so that gives you a range of 299,792 meters or 299 km , the new nucleus breaks down in 14 ms.

Now accelerating this to high speed a high fraction of C, you will get a bit longer life but I don't think a light-second is feasible. I would recommend reducing the distance by half, or perhaps using a scale for damage with the later half being probably halved.

0-100,000 km
100,001 - 250,000 km

RPG-D RPGfix
Back