• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[UMC] The Gammatron

Status
Not open for further replies.
After talking to Frown and Doc, I think a shorter In-A-Nutshell of this weapon was attained.

IN THE MOST BASIC, UNDERSTANDABLE FORM:

This weapon basically works by shooting a laser at an enemy, which upon hitting creates an antimatter explosion. Nothing special.

The kicker is that, after 3-4 direct hits on an enemies shield, the laser will have "learned" the exact wavelength it would need to hit the shield to "break" it completely.

DON'T PANIC!!!!

If you take into consideration that the weapon requires FOUR DIRECT HITS to calibrate to the correct setting it would need to break past one shield, then it really isn't any more powerful than any other weapon currently in play.

I mean, let's face it...you're as much dead after four direct hits from a Nepleslian Aetheric Shock Cannon (AKA, The Kid-Kruncher) as you would be from this Gammatron weapon. As you would from any starship super-weapon...some might even take less than 2 hits. Not that scary now, right? Still a little scary, but you aren't going to cry to Mommy Yamatai or Biker Uncle Nepleslia, right?

FURTHERMORE, Frown has confirmed that the Gammatron does not remember shield calibrations after each fight. Which means that IT DOES NOT bypass the same shield after fighting it once...it must hit that shield, whether it's the exact same shield or not, an additional 4 times to achieve breaky status.

---

All of this was discerned over the IRC chat, and probably hasn't been explained in the official wiki yet, but I assure you that it's straight from the horses' mouth. Hopefully it will be put in at her earliest convenience, and hopefully, I have done my part to help make this lengthy and detailed submission easier to swallow to the general populace.

After discussing the issue with my comrade in techified arms, Exhack, along with our resident man on the MOOOON~.

This Submission is Approved for IC Usage.

Uh... Moonie, I believe you missed something. Your scenario concerning the Nepleslian ASC is correct... to a point. Specifically, to the point of only concerning small ships. Shields for larger ships are substantially stronger than those on, say, gunships.

Four hits by a DR 5 weapon would destroy a gunship's shield, it would take substantially more to bring down the shields on a Chiharu or other large vessel. That means boom, boom, boom, oops, lawl, shields don't matter anymore k'thanx.

An explanation is in order here, please? :| I approved this after conferring with Exhack and MoonMan, and I find this out, without reasons being given. I'd like to discuss this. There is no reason this shouldn't have been approved. And considering I have heard no ill talk about this beyond very minimal nitpicks which were fixed as well as some people liking this pretty much.

This seems very unprofessional of you Wes. With your high level of intellect, I would expect you to START in the forums, labeling this with a message asking people to wait until you discuss it with them before rejecting or accepting the tech. As it is, this seems very petty and low; please tell me if this was a mistake, because I know things will be said that people will regret.

1) This tech needs to be judged based on plausibility in the setting, capability of the builder's faction, and workability. Also, this needs to be done HERE. In this thread.

2) There needs to be a certain level of professionalism here, one which is not displayed. You NEEDED to contact Soresu instead of going behind his back like this one. Frankly I am disappointed in you for this.

You need to clear this matter up as soon as possible.

If this were approved, it puts the maximum-powerful weapon damage in the setting on a mecha.

Submission Approval Revoked.

It's a Mecha the size of a gunship, according to what I've heard so far. If that's unfeasible, then by the same token, the Plumeria and Sakura need to go as well.

SUBLIMEinal said:
Uh... Moonie, I believe you missed something. Your scenario concerning the Nepleslian ASC is correct... to a point. Specifically, to the point of only concerning small ships. Shields for larger ships are substantially stronger than those on, say, gunships.

Four hits by a DR 5 weapon would destroy a gunship's shield, it would take substantially more to bring down the shields on a Chiharu or other large vessel. That means boom, boom, boom, oops, lawl, shields don't matter anymore k'thanx.

Let's not use technicalities to beat around the bush here.

This weapon is nothing more than a DR5 weapon, the same one we've been using in the setting for a while now, that accomplishes the same thing with no more and no less effort. A DR5 weapon is and will always be just a DR5 weapon, no matter how much fluff you pile on top of it.

Wes said:
If this were approved, it puts the maximum-powerful weapon damage in the setting on a mecha.
Submission Approval Revoked.

This is a submission for the weapon, Wes.

Not the mecha.

You can debate the mecha whenever the mecha comes around.

I will re-review this article when I home.

Originally, I found it not through the forum but rather through the wiki updates; I had not seen the thread until my last post.

Fun Fact: The Mecha will be over a kilometer in size in regard to height, the width will be much more. Hueg mecha will be hueg.

As Moonie says: Don't panic!

Has the UOC government or any power-holding organization actually asked for the development of this weapon?

No, it's a gift to the UOC being developed by the UMC, which is essentially the UOC's main manufacturing company.

This is just a technical question, but isn't the weapon limited by the amount of uranium and such? Currently, the article says unlimited ammo.

Unlimited just like Yamatai's positron weapon technology. An energy-to-matter converter would be present to feed the weapon's supply of material. It is really a standard component of particle weapons of the setting, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back