• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

I want to see regs for crossdressing officers. I would so create a character just for it. also Those hats rock I vote all the hell yeses for them.

I want to see regs for crossdressing officers.
The male skirt (kilt) isn't for cross-dressing, it's just a male skirt. Besides, wouldn't people who want to present as female just transfer into female bodies?

Hat responses seem positive. I'll probably approve them soon.

Besides, wouldn't people who want to present as female just transfer into female bodies?.

Not always, There are many crossdressers that are just more comfortable being presented as female but still like and want to keep their original form. They instead celebrate what all their form can be, more then just one sex or the other, but exactly who they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wes
I am going to get ignored really? I mean if this came up in past, then you could just tell me Wes, but ignoring me like is bad.

Mainly it's that I didn't like the design. In particular, it didn't make sense that the gray undersuit section was exposed. The AMES suit is probably better to use anyway, at least it has a complete page to describe it.

I would be willing to take submissions on a new type of EPJ, if someone offered one that looked great and made visual sense.

Wait. Exposed undersuit?

There's no exposed undersuit on the EPJ. You just have a base layer, and a slightly padded layer - and calling it layer is tenous: it could just be a different material. Heck, the Miharu Rin art shows something that's far more just seams and color differences than anything else.

How did you even expect to get some appealing visual diversity if an artist did not even have license to make it look non-featureless? On the same visual features, the AMES suit actually share the same flaws (visual cues to exposed portions of the bust/belly), and the AMES artwork is largely inferior in quality to what you have up on the EPJ.

If you want a new model, that's fine. But "look great" and "make visual sense" are not good indicators of what you like when you're already kind of contradicting yourself. Can you be provide more on what you'd expect from a winning design?

Last edited:
There's a story behind the AMES: The suit was described as "blue-gray" as in the color of Star Army ships and the pants color of the duty uniform, but Weremole interpreted it as "blue AND gray" and that's why the AMES suit is two-tone. I liked the way it looked so I never asked him to change the colors.

There's no exposed undersuit on the EPJ. You just have a base layer, and a slightly padded layer - and calling it layer is tenous: it could just be a different material
See the art below:

So the colored outer part has random open parts exposing the gray undersuit. I don't know why, and it bugs me.

I think the new EPJ, if we adopt one, should be more jumpsuit-like, or maybe something similar to the engineering suits in the Star Trek TOS movies.

I stand corrected.

As for engineering suit in Star Trek, do you refer to this?

Can't we just keep the present EPJ, but just treat it as being a single layer with different coloring? If you disregard Zairyo's concept, it can kind of pass itself that way. You could treat it as a variant in response to the design complaints on it. It seems wasteful to just kick it out when we can do an adjustment to it mostly on our heads, and still get what's been seen as what was established as very functional workwear.

If you want to turn emphasis on the AMES, then that works too. Tom Freeman, for example, seems to be able to make it work indoor.

Last edited:
While a detailed suit would probably be good, in the meantime couldn't you just retouch the colored ones to make the grey panels match the rest

Looking at Tom Freeman's art where he has a half-beard and a mullet makes me want to revisit the Star Army regulations on wear of the uniform and personal appearance.

@Fred : That's the one I was thinking of. I would be willing to consider a variant with new art (maybe even just a recolor like Nashoba suggests). But with new art that's still essentially be a new uniform anyway and it still doesn't fix the lack of [text] description in the article. I'm more inclined to just continue with the AMES replacing it until something can eventually replace the AMES.

What's wrong with Tom Freeman's hair and face?

Wes, I want to point out that your growing simulationistic-take on Star Army kind of threatens, at times, the anime-influences it started out with. I know you have an army background and that all of this makes sense in your head, but remember to consider your audience too.

New art for the working uniform's baseball cap we approved a while back.

I already told Wes, Katae's putting in an order.

Nah-ah. I'm gettin' that pimp-ass visor cap on my Sakishima bro.

I'm gonna spend three hundred dollars to have a real-life one made and I'm gonna wear that junk to the mall. I just need three-hundred dollars. And a mall.

http://custom-hats.lids.com/

they will do custom ball caps. hat its self costs about $15, embroidery for letters and graphic is another $12 and there's a $50 fee for having the custom graphic (ship picture on the ball cap Wes shows above) to be done if its wanted, but their information does state that the file created for their stitching machines will be emailed to the customer, so it could be used again in the future and not require the custom graphic to be made and paid for again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…