• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Man, I was talking about the peaked cap, the big visor cap for officers. That said, I would totally get one of the ballcaps instead, because it's actually affordable.

If you look at art of Yuzuki.

the uniform there looks like one piece with different set of colouring to me. It really does, not under-suit nothing. As for the colours of it, I think it was red for the engineers since that is the colour of engineers and it looks spiffy. And we do like spiffy! AMES is not exactly great for engineering work with its airshooters that gets in a way or the thick gloves made to work in space. Just saying.

Even if it would be two pieces, who said they cannot be fused together so when you take it off it is not a one suit made of two layers, which suits are usually made off. Besides as an engineer you need to protect mainly your limbs, which this protects, so where is the problem?

I kind of think similarily.

But- the AMES suit does have history being the go-to outfit for engineering work. Then the EPJ showed up, seemed cool for awhile, but then didn't seem to hit the marks Wes wanted it to. Not to mention Wes likely prefers to have one engineering/spacesuit outfit, rather than two, out of a desire for consolidation.

The solution for this is likely the implementation of an outfit which will be able to succeed the AMES, have art, have a detailed wiki page, and be able tofill the niche the EPJ did. Perhaps the EPJ's visual concepts could be taken as inspiration, if such appeals, without the bits Wes dislikes.

Reactions: Wes
I think Wes has made it clear he is open to a new EPJ, it just needs to be better written up. The current EPJ doesn't tell you anything. Except what the Star Army wanted. So if someone writes up a good article, there could be a replacement.

Well as far as I understood, Wes wants it to have a bit of Star Army blue on it (though I think the red suit was rather spiffy, and since red was colour of engineers on official uniforms, it seems fine to me) and he wants it to look like one layer suit. Basically it can look a lot like it does now, but the black 'undersuit' needs to be fused with the outer one so it all looks like one layer. Do I understand it right? I am talking just about visual here.

As for it going toe to toe with Ames, as far as I understood it EPJ was never supposed to be space-worthy suit. Am I wrong?

It's supposed to be paired off with the Type 30 Helmet. That always kind of implied that it could be used in space, though admittedly it's not the most ideal kind of helmet for it, compared to the AMES.

The EPJ was spaceworthy but did not have the Oxygen supply that the AMES has. The future EPJ doesn't really need to be spaceworthy either. It could just be a futuristic version of a jumpsuit like the NMX Navy personnel wear. I've kind of wanted to have a bodysuit that replaces the AMES, EPJ, bodysuit, and possibly the working uniform for a while now, but that's neither here nor there.

Upgrade the Working Uniform?

I feel like the working uniform could probably be enhanced. Even it its current state I think it's a fine outfit to wear in engineering.

Look at the goals (red means goal not met, green means goal met):

The Star Army set the following goals:
  • The suit should be a one-piece garment that is easy to put on and can be worn with OR without a duty uniform beneath. (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit should also include protective gloves and optional overboots (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit should be compatible with the Type 30 Helmet. (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit has to be form-fitting, so it fits in maintenance tunnels and won't get caught on things. (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit should be fireproof, in case of on-board fires. (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit has to provide radiation protection, in case of engine leaks and such. (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit should provide excellent protection against electrical shocks (EPJ/Working)
  • Knees and elbows of the suit should have extra padding for crawling in maintenance tunnels. (EPJ/Working)
  • The suit should be available in red (engineering/technicians) and light blue-gray (general purpose) (EPJ/Working)
The working uniform can be made with material that is resistant to fire, radiation, and electric shocks. It already has gloves. With just a little text editing I can introduce the material changes and we can keep the working uniform art.

Hmmn.

Wes, if I try to look at this from where you are sitting, it's probably not to your advantage.

The working uniform doesn't quite speak the same design language the Type 35 uniform does, making them clash to a degree if you put one next to the other. "Here's your current Star Army uniform. And here's your obviously older star army uniform that's well suited for work - you can wear it if you want to have the this-is-obviously-an-outdated-uniform look".

Basically, if you care about professinalism, it probably doesn't look the part anymore. Not with the standards you raised.

The EPJ is different enough to not pass as that. However, the AMES seems superior at most of what you want to have done with an engineering outfit anyhow.

I think they look fine next to each other. The working uniform looks professional and it even looks more "modern" then the newer duty uniform (due to the duty uniform's deliberately historic design).

You're right that AMES does the EPJ's job better than the EPJ or an upgraded working uniform (although we should probably enhance the working uniform anyway, at least adding that it's fire resistant). Maybe I could just make an engineering version of the AMES that removes some of the spacewalk features in favor of a cool tool belt.

Well I disagree with Ames doing better job, but that is just me.

As for the other thing. I think what I liked most about EPJ is that it was pretty much for engineers and that gave this cool thought that engineers had cool extra stuff, which was awesome for me for one of my chars was an engineer. I loved this uniform and only now noticed it was out of service and was curious why. Cause, and I think there will be other that will agree with me, it looks awesome and I think that is one of the most important thing.

I liked the look of the EPJ too but I agree that with the inner/outer suit set up it was a little unwieldy.

I also have to agree with ShotJon about the AMES not necessarily doing a better job as an engineering suit. Don't get me wrong, I think the AMES is great and use it IC all the time. But the EPJ was intended to fulfill a different niche. The AMES is first and foremost an EVA suit. It is designed and intended to be used for long periods of time in vacuum. Its construction, systems, and equipment are intended for that. This is the role it excels in but while it is more than serviceable in an engineering environment it is not specifically built for it and thus is, I think, over-designed for the purpose.

At any rate, a few people have mentioned wanting a new EPJ with a better write up, so here's my contribution: Improved Engineering Protective Jumpsuit. I was inspired by pilots' flight suits (tons of pockets) and the Navy's coveralls (gonna-crawl-around-and-get-filthy-from-lubricant-and-coolant). I think it complements the Working Uniform and the AMES; it definitely doesn't replace either. It's meant to get dirty and protect the uniform underneath and make it easy to manage lots of tools and equipment in zero-G, while providing some emergency protection should things go wrong.

@Sean_ODuibher : Excellent work! Could you add a little more visual description to it? Maybe an appearance section? I think I'll commission art for it and I want to give the artist more to work with.

Well I think I would want to say that if it would be all sleek like the previous one, we would all be happy. Sleek is yammie thing I think. Baggy and workable is neppy thing. We want this to be Yamataian right? Sean wrote you can wear clothes under this, but that doesn't mean it can't be sleek does it? So maybe if it would look like an original, but one-piece suit that could work. Don't you agree? Also the helmet that is retractable. When it retracts does it form what? A collar around the chin and back of a head? I think that would be kinda cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. I'm glad you approve.

@Wes : Definitely, I'll get right on that. Probably put in separate descriptions of the normal and low pressure appearances.

@ShotJon : I agree that the Yamataian aesthetic is sleek, but sometimes sleek is just completely impractical. Don't get me wrong, I don't view this as a baggy, sloppy looking suit. More like a close fitting flight suit. It will have some play, some give because otherwise you couldn't fit a variety of different clothing under it and not have it be a total pain to put on. And in any case, it has this built in duality: when things go wrong suddenly tight is very much right. It wasn't intentional, but I see it as a sort of metaphor for how Yamatai has evolved. It's more free and open and civilian friendly now, but when push comes to shove the SAoY is going to roll in and kick ass and look sleek and awesome doing it.

Additionally, for the helmet, when retracted it was in a collar but around the sides and back of the neck, not beneath the chin.

Reactions: Wes
Well seing as bodysuit is once againt (thankfully) an official uniform, having something to put underneath EPJ won't be problem. So it can be really really tight. Though personally I would still only go in in my undies. There is not reason to have another uniform underneath it, if I would get injured in some accident, I would want medics to get to my skin as fast as possible.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…