• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Unnamed character (created for the pirate area)

MissingNo

Inactive Member
Character Name: unknown. If anyone has named her in the past, she has forgotten it. People either give her pet names or call her by pronouns: "She" / "Her" / "Hey you!"
Species: NH-7z
Age: Unknown. Assuming she was born while the NH-7 was still in production, somewhere around 8 years.
Creator/Parents: PNUgen Corp. / WickedArms Industries

Faction: Independent

Current Assignment: None

Hair color and Style: Black with light brown streaks; cut to just below her ears. Fairly well-kept.
Build and Skin Color: Slender with average proportions; dark tan.
Eye Color: Dark, dark ruby red eyes, like blood that has been drained of oxygen.
Distinguishing Features: Typical NH-7 features; a dark red gear genetic tattoo just below the hollow of her throat, under her collar bone.

Height: 5'0â€

The whole 'mysterious past that few know about' thing tends to be highly cliche, but I'm really interested in seeing if/how the whole lack of long term memory thing is playable.

Yangfan said:
Hi Nick. Let's wait until Wes gets a chance to look at this. :)

I was planning to. : )

Cora: The way I've understood NH-7's, they have an organic brain that operates like a computer (correct me if I'm wrong, Wes). Her programming developed a glitch that prevents her from writing memories to new file and instead overwrites the same day over and over. So it's because her brain is designed like a computer that she's having the memory problems. I'm working on a way that she could carry over memories day to day without discarding the memory loss concept altogether.

Also I'm going to be playing her with a high intelligence, so you can either see it as intelligence compensating for lack of memory or the lack of memory allowing me to play a high intelligence character...*shrug* both traits kind of came to me at the same time.

You could do it Memento style. You should check out that movie if you've not seen it, I think it's pretty consistently in the top 25 or so at IMDb. In the movie, a character (besides the main character) who had the condition tried to use a pad of paper to help him in his daily life, but his notes would be confused or lost. Of course, the character could "train" herself to check her pocket when she forgets where she is, or something along those lines, if that part of the Neko brain works like a human brain. It's not that you'd have to go in line with some movie, just throwing things out there.

Note that this character will likely be allowed because the "anterograde amnesia" angle hasn't been explored to my knowledge, and Nick is a more experienced player who could pull it off. It might be an excuse to be able to participate in JPs when he has time, because I know that a few players, myself included, are in a situation where we don't have a lot of time to keep up with plots and try to organize or attend JPs.

Looks like you could have a lot of fun with this one. Good luck, Nick.

Edit: As interesting as the concept is, and as much fun as I should think it would be to play, I really doubt that one would simply accept "Hey, it looks like I can't remember anything since a long time ago. I don't even remember how long ago it was. Could have been years. Guess I'll just keep on living without worrying about it." I'm not trying to say she should commit suicide or immediately embark upon a journey to fix herself, but once in a while, when she makes her theory again, her goal might change to finding a solution. Of course, she might forget that too, but eventually it might make for nice character development for some situation to reveal to her that she has a problem and she has to remember to fix it, or at least look into it.

An "instinct to survive" might be sort of legitimate, but it would make her a static character, because that's her nature as long as she can't remember anything. Say, if she found out just how long it's been since she had a concrete memory, she might think she's been living an empty life and she should rectify that. If she were feral, such an instinct would be a fine long-term goal, but she'd realize a few times (you know, she'd forget until she feels strongly enough to write it down into some organized system) that people around her have memories and she doesn't.

I'm not trying to dictate where your character is going, but just point out that it might be a bit unrealistic to suggest that your character never realizes others have memories, memories would be good to have, and she should try and fix her condition (since it appears that she realizes that, too, every once in a while). Some with that condition might consider that they have nothing to live for, besides some asinine idea in their subconscious telling them "live". But with your character's realization or theory that it's a fixable problem, she should have a drive to fix it, because it should really only take one incident to prove to her that no matter how much she doesn't think it's a terribly big deal, it would be nice to be normal.

You might have considered this already and I don't want to tell you want to do (you don't have to heed this suggestion at all, really), but eventually, if the character remains static, it wouldn't be so fun or legitimate.

Jadg Wolf said:
You could do it Memento style. You should check out that movie if you've not seen it, I think it's pretty consistently in the top 25 or so at IMDb. In the movie, a character (besides the main character) who had the condition tried to use a pad of paper to help him in his daily life, but his notes would be confused or lost. Of course, the character could "train" herself to check her pocket when she forgets where she is, or something along those lines, if that part of the Neko brain works like a human brain. It's not that you'd have to go in line with some movie, just throwing things out there.

I've seen it, and loved it. I thought about some sort of journal, Yangfan, but I didn't know how she would react to it. Plus it opens up to other people writing in it and manipulating her (though that would be a good plot device) I was also toying with some sort of memory storage outside of her malfunctioning brain, but wasn't sure if that'd be fair. An example of one of my ideas was a portable computer (like about the size of a bracelet, given the advancement of information storage here) that would allow her to upload memories she wanted to keep. Like a selective soul-transfer thing, but for the mind instead of the soul, and something that couldn't be used for respawning. Instead of the whole memory, it'd be audio/video with text readouts for the other senses. I'd just need Wes' okay on it.

Jadg Wolf said:
Note that this character will likely be allowed because the "anterograde amnesia" angle hasn't been explored to my knowledge, and Nick is a more experienced player who could pull it off. It might be an excuse to be able to participate in JPs when he has time, because I know that a few players, myself included, are in a situation where we don't have a lot of time to keep up with plots and try to organize or attend JPs.

Looks like you could have a lot of fun with this one. Good luck, Nick.

Thanks for the compliments, Thad : ) And, yeah, I did make the memory thing because of my rather erratic schedule : p And because it sounded fun. And it let me play an NH-7, one of my favorite versions. Too bad she couldn't make any custom upgrades to it >_>

Jadg Wolf said:
Edit: As interesting as the concept is, and as much fun as I should think it would be to play, I really doubt that one would simply accept "Hey, it looks like I can't remember anything since a long time ago. I don't even remember how long ago it was. Could have been years. Guess I'll just keep on living without worrying about it." I'm not trying to say she should commit suicide or immediately embark upon a journey to fix herself, but once in a while, when she makes her theory again, her goal might change to finding a solution. Of course, she might forget that too, but eventually it might make for nice character development for some situation to reveal to her that she has a problem and she has to remember to fix it, or at least look into it.

Right. I wasn't going to play her as if she thought it was normal to not remember, but she wouldn't really think about it unless someone brought it to her attention. Say she stowed away on a ship and fell asleep somewhere in engineering. When she woke up, she'd probably think she worked there and start fixing things until someone asked her why she was on the ship at all.

Basically, though, I was planning on playing it by ear, at least to begin with. See where her personality took her in regard to finding out about her memory deficiency.

Jadg Wolf said:
An "instinct to survive" might be sort of legitimate, but it would make her a static character, because that's her nature as long as she can't remember anything. Say, if she found out just how long it's been since she had a concrete memory, she might think she's been living an empty life and she should rectify that. If she were feral, such an instinct would be a fine long-term goal, but she'd realize a few times (you know, she'd forget until she feels strongly enough to write it down into some organized system) that people around her have memories and she doesn't.

I'm not trying to dictate where your character is going, but just point out that it might be a bit unrealistic to suggest that your character never realizes others have memories, memories would be good to have, and she should try and fix her condition (since it appears that she realizes that, too, every once in a while). Some with that condition might consider that they have nothing to live for, besides some asinine idea in their subconscious telling them "live". But with your character's realization or theory that it's a fixable problem, she should have a drive to fix it, because it should really only take one incident to prove to her that no matter how much she doesn't think it's a terribly big deal, it would be nice to be normal.

*ponders* I haven't really considered that angle before, though I think I may have found it in-game at some point. I'll start looking into that.

Jadg Wolf said:
You might have considered this already and I don't want to tell you want to do (you don't have to heed this suggestion at all, really), but eventually, if the character remains static, it wouldn't be so fun or legitimate.

Right, it wouln't be fun. However, character development is rather difficult in a character that continues to revert to her original personality every 24 hrs...though, given that she could make different choices every time she encounters the same problem, this might be a fun exploration of the concept of "free will vs environmental influences".

Thanks for your input ^_^

Seems okay to me.

Note that she could pick a city or ship computer that could store her secondary memories (that is the data version of them - sights and sounds and smells but not the emotional memory) for her and give her a fairly normal existence. But, if that connection was severed she might feel really upset/frightened/confused. But, her personality would probably develop more that way.

It wouldn't be too hard to encrypt her journal... Hmm. Wait. She wouldn't be able to remember her password. Doh.

Okay, this should be an interesting character. :D

Uh, maybe a tattoo in an area she wouldn't normally show other people?

I need to acquire this movie.

Wes said:
Uh, maybe a tattoo in an area she wouldn't normally show other people?

Don't tattoos heal on Nekos? Thus the genetic tattoo?

Also, would a ship/city computer be required to back up a Neko's data memories? I was thinking she would edit them, saving only the critical ones. "Dear Self: Stay away from this person." Something along those lines. Or maybe just a bunch of NotePad (the Windows text program) memos to herself; that'd save real easy ^_^

The encrypted journal sounds good...if she devises one that she can decypher without knowing the key. Which she could do, if she can repair things that she's already altered beyond its normal specifications. But what I'm worried about is her abandoning the journal if it doesn't say "Read Me" or something. Hmm...*goes to write a psudo-post, something to help think this through* Hey, I just realized that she doesn't need a pen-paper one! *points to the text-file idea* And if she encrypts and locks it, no ordinary person would be able to mess with it. Though figuring which encryption and locks work would take a few tries for her, I think...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back