• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission UPLE Secondary Effects

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks for the input, I should've linked those pages to begin with but must've spaced out.

In regards to the question of damage, yes but also no at the same time. The emitter types(represented by color) offer perks when used against certain targets. Red is +1 tier vs. solid armor, blue is +1 tier vs. energy shields, and green is just hot so I couldn't really give it a number. The trick is that it isn't really about the numbers, rather it is about the type of damage.

They're just lasers so there's not much in the way of Splash damage or penetration to begin with, this submission is an attempt to flesh out the effects in detail so that people know the effect of equipping a wide-angle lens.

An example of how this works:
Your PA is hit by a tier 6 Blue laser with a wide-angle lens while your shields are down. Normally your armor might tank the shot and you would be okay and receive only a small electric shock BUT the wide-angle lens has made this laser weapon into a a shotgun variant of the original laser that capitalizes on the electrical side effect at the expense of armor penetration. So the result of being hit is now different, your armor plating is not damage nearly as badly as it would have been by a coherent beam, but now you and your electronics are experiencing an electric shock that is far more intense, possibly even crippling. A weapon like this would be ideal for subduing armored assailants which would make it a police officer's friend but also a disappointment to infantry in large scale conflicts who need those assailants to stay down permanently.

The goal of the UPLE is to make it customizable so that one weapon can be configured to support the situation at hand, even allowing for less lethal combat.

Huh. Seems like the link broke. Eh, found it through search.

I'll be taking up this review. Seems like an interesting concept and I've reviewed an FMS sub before so I kinda understand their style. Will post checklist after this post.

Edit: Let's also pump the threshold up a little bit...

This review is for: UPLA Secondary Effects (Add-on article to the FMS Universal Pulse Laser)

The submitted article is/has…
[ YES ] A very high level of overall quality
  • Not very long. But I'm not your english teacher. I don't want you to write 600 words minimum, that's more work for me.
[ YES ] A general topic sentence under the title header
[ N/A ] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
  • What are you gonna do, draw lasers? Actually that's a good point. BUT STILL.
[ YES ] Needed and/or useful to the setting
  • Yes. Describing each emitter in depth is quite useful.
[ N/A ] In the proper format/template
[ YES ] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[ YES ] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[ YES ] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[ YES ] No red and/or broken links
[ YES ] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[ YES ] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[ NO ] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[ NO ] Obtusely redundant
[ NO ] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[ NO ] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[ NO ] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[ NO ] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[ NO ] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[ NO ] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[ NO ] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[ NO ] Lacking Detail
[ What images? ] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[ N/A ] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[ N/A ] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines

• It's on the Emitter page. This is a sub-entry.
[ N/A ] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[ N/A ] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Clear.

Notes
Another nice FMS submission. The modular theme really comes into handy for 188604.

I have finished this review on: 10/9/17

Last edited:
Sorry, the broken link was my fault, I renamed the page. I put it back the way it was.

I think I've corrected the grammar and bombastic language. I can probably whip up a chart for the emitters sometime tonight.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back