• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission VDTF Laser Turbine

Edto Xar'Sivaree

Lizard Freak!
Inactive Member
Submission Type: Propulsion System
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=corp:komodo_arms_manufacturing:vdtf_nuclear_turbine

Faction: VDTF
FM Approved Yet? Yes, when I submitted it.
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: This actually is a engine design by Boeing. The engine itself is patented. I essentially wrote how the engine works... Which is publicly available. At least, to the degree that it is written here. link to page here

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I will review this when I return from my weekend trip (if it is not already reviewed).

@Wes to review the public/patent issue; he's more familiar with how he feels about such matters.

I will review this when I return from my weekend trip (if it is not already reviewed).

@Wes to review the public/patent issue; he's more familiar with how he feels about such matters.

I think they have the patent on the overall design of the engine, not the concept of how it works. It seems way too rudimentary a system, like patenting Nuclear power?

Well, to make @Wes's life easier, I tracked down the patent for it.

It's 1 page.

NOT ONLY THAT, but to make his life even easier, I just got off the phone with the Patent Office in regads to the patent.

So long as we do not MAKE, USE, or SELL a physical engine of this kind, then we are good. We would not breach the patent owned by Boeing by using the concept of the engine in a piece of written literature, regardless of if it is for or not for profit, as the kind gentleman explained to me. However, not-for-profit which a sci-fi website like this, there is no chance of breaching the patent ((Even though there was none if it was for money))

I'm not joking. He said we could use this in a book, and copywrite the book, and not get nailed for it. The guy was awesome. Also got a kick out of me being totally confused as to all the questions and being like "I'm a Canadian... I don't have a zip code..."

One thing I notice is: "However, it provides substantially more thrust than an Ion Engine, giving it it's atmosphere capabilities."

It's should be its without an apostrophe.

Yeah, I had been up all night when I found it so some spelling mistakes may be there. I think 25 hours by the time I posted the however part.

Does this even need approval as a separate article? Looking at it, the paragraph can just be fitted into any ship article.

EDIT: That aside, the article looks like everything is ok about it. I don't see any reason not to approve it?

Last edited:
That's right. The article needs to link to a few other things, like this one here. You only need a few though. I'd suggest to Komodo Arms and the VDTF. Additionally, add in the year of production; all other things on the checklist are good by the looks of it.

The following words, listed in the order they appear, should not be capitalized:

Aerospace
Space
Helium
High-Energy
Ion Engine (while Gart and Abwehran ion engines exist, it's not a proper noun unless you link to one of them)

Additionally:
The VDTF Nuclear Turbine or the VNT is the...
Should either be "The VDTF Nuclear Turbine, or the VNT, is the..." or "The VDTF Nuclear Turbine—or the VNT—is the..."

The checklist states that an article must be "[ ] Proofread for spelling and grammar" before it is approved.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back