• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Very slight edit to the Project THOUGHT Software Package

Toshiro

Inactive Member
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ka ... re_package

I have made the following minor edits (edited text in bold and in color) which I submit for approval:

Emergency Soul Savior

Emergency Soul Savior (ESS) has been re-engineered as an additional program running within the CIES, and a sibling program to the THOUGHT CSI. As such, they use the same mental transceivers and hardware, saving valuable space and resources.

The ESS allows the creation of ST files from those mentally linked to the IES via SPINE or via mental transceivers which monitor the status of those in stasis. What it does is make an ST backup of the user as soon as they enter stasis. Throughout the operational life of the unit, it tries to initiate contact with PANTHEON via the IES it runs within, and if it manages to do so, it not only gives location data and a distress call, but also transmits the ST data, the Mission Data, Static Profile, and Dynamic Profile information to an ESS Database. This database is highly protected and can only be read from by those of high rank and specifically set PANTHEON access levels. Should the unit be in an area too dangerous to be recovered or be discovered by enemies, it can be remotely destroyed, and the personnel resurrected with all memories to the time they went under stasis. Due to the sensitive data being transmitted, the unit will briefly increase power and send the data in a maximum level of encryption.

It also typically does not back up the entirety of the pilot's memories, but by default searches back to when they last did a backup and does an incremental backup from there. This is to protect from the enemy having access to a full ST backup of an active soldier should the worst happen.

* Operates entirely within the IES and uses same SPINE or transceivers as THOUGHT CSI
* Makes ST backup when pilot enters stasis
* Contacts PANTHEON repeatedly to send ST Data, Mission Data, Static Profile, and Dynamic profile to ESS Database
* Allows remote destruction of system by high ranking personnel with permissions
* Heavily Encrypted
* Tamper Resistant (Will erase Soul Savior data if tampered with)

I don't really like this because of my own views about Soul Savior and its role in our setting.

Mostly, I prefer losing memories when you die. It's an incentive not to die.

Can another mod look at this, and then we can discuss it on the IRC?

This seems less a view on the tech element and more a disagreement with the established in-game mechanic. Maybe you could start a new thread about SS Tech in general to voice your issues? I'm not so sure this is an truly appropriate place for a full-blown Soul Savior tech debate.

Please note that the actual tech is already approved -- the only changes I'm asking for approval on are the orange text.

I think the main issue with this submission is less the inclusion of field-use SS technologies (which Nepleslia has had forever in the form of the brain spider) but more the inclusion of a data transmitter which is able to broadcast the mental update.

Nepleslia's own comparable application was actually approved, but the submitter (me) was later asked to rescind that portion of functionality simply because it cheapened the idea more and lent an unfair advantage in addition to cheapening the death of a PC any more than being able to bring them back from a save point was.

So my point will be this. Being able to transmit mental data isn't absolutely necessary to the function of this device, and shouldn't really be a component of it. If the author really insists and wants to have it, they can, but I'll need Wes' blessing on the matter.

Otherwise, this submission passes just fine.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back