Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 What comes next?

• Thread starter Thread starter Zack
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zack

Pumpkin Eater, several hours after the events of Roach Hotel

The Pumpkin Eater was a large freighter, that was for the most part a flat rectangle. This made the top a decent landing area for U1s and other small transports as the ship had landed in the water just off the coast of the main land mass on B7R.

Junker drones, large mechanical spider-looking things, were moving about. Reloading U1s, helping out down'd pilots, and moving about supplies on the top of the craft. The Skyguard was still conducting operations, Vier's drones overhead were still rounding up the Rixxikor stragglers, and the blue sky was occasionally filled with pink streaks as parts of the destroyed ships from earlier continued to ran down.

Meanwhile Uso herself was getting ready to address the group she had gathered up.

"OK! IF YOU'RE HERE THEN YOU'RE AT LEAST SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT. GOOD JOB."

She had invited just about everyone, execpt those with immidiate tasks to take care of.

"WE HAVE THREE IMPORTANT TASKS AHEAD OF US,"

"ONE: We just wrecked this place, and the locals don't look too happy. They've got about a dozen of their war machine standing out infront of their city. Clearly a 'fuck off' posture... but at some point we do need to go talk to them. We'll need a diplomatic group as well as a strategy for talking them down. The political situation here is a mess... so that may require another breifing as well.

TWO: We kinda fucked everything up locally. Starship parts are going to be falling on the planet for a while. We'll need to organize a cleanup group as well as keep fire supression going. The Ecology of the planet has been damaged as well... and our local robot overlord Vier isn't going to let us just kill off the Rixxikor. We'll need to contain the exsisting Rixx until she can transport them elsewhere, start fixing the ecological damage... We'll also need to figure out what to do with a million or so Rixx... so if anyone has any ideas please speak up. This planet is only barely terraformed and all the other land masses are barren. Keep in mind that speeding things up in that department might help with diplomacy.

THIRD: "We're putting a band together. I'm thinking we should start with a Nepleslian Venue, and a few of you have spoken up about what instruments you play. We need songs, show ideas, ect. People with strong opinions about show merch that isn't a T-shirt can fuck-off. Flags and fliers are dumb, but if you have other ideas I'm open to it."

"Perhaps I may be able to handle diplomacy with the locals," Mr. Donovan offered, "my corporation needs to practice with the construction equipment we recently acquired. If I task a ship to deliver gifts to the locals it could make a large improvement to our current image."

Alex raised a hand. "I think I might be useful there as I'm in command of the Sky Guard. Though they might recognize me from our last visit here, this might also be an opportunity to bury the hatchet with the locals."

He remembered his last time on this planet and shuddered with the memory of what he had been made to do.

"Are you absolutely sure we got all of them?" Jay said with a mildly critical expression on his face.

"I don't wanna be seeing any bugs pouring out of the ground the moment I touch down."

"We didn't. Vier's rounding up the remaining Rixx and pushing them all into a camp or something. We'll need a long term solution for holding them... " Uso said, looking for their resident Elysian, "That means you Wings! Some kinda Rixx-camp... ant farm thing... maybe stick them all on an asteroid? Whatever won't kill them and leave Vier happy."

Uso would then turn her attention to Alex an Donovan,

"Yeah,... that is way better than my idea. Definitely go buy their loyalty. With gifts... not with killing them. Alex if you want to tag along you're welcome to but don't feel like you have to ok?"

@arbitrated{/spoiler]

" Okay....I might be able to be in the first and the third one. "

Sasha spoke as she raised her hand in gesture of volunteering.

" I will grab my shotgun and guitar or banjo. "

"On the merchandise, maybe some plastic U1 models, replica sky guard flight suits, and or maybe tattoos?" Jack said listening to the various people speaking up.
"On the diplomacy, not my forte, as for the band I'm up if you need an electric guitarist." he added hoping Uso would allow him to announce Section 6 possibly later in the meeting, "If there is anything I can assist with, just give me a heads up."

Jack though for a moment, then decided it was a good time to brief on the creation of S6.

"Mam, I would like to announce S6 with your approval." Jack stood up said.

"Ok, go for it," Uso said, moving off to the side and pointing to where she had just been standing, "Come here and talk about your side thing."

Jack made his way to the stage, pulling out his black and red datajockey before speaking.

"In the previous operation we receive a high number of casualties, I have submitted the request to form a new sub-division, one with the purpose of not only helping to prevent this from happening again hopefully. But also to help us expand the USO at an accelerated rate, through the development and study of new technologies, possible upgrades for existing equipment, new possible methods of construction, new tactics, new ship designs and upgrades to existing designs, the forming of a special unit outfitted with the newest gear and weapons for extremely high risk operations, and advanced R&D. Hopefully through this division, we can lower casualties in the future, come up with better equipment, and focus our efforts in creating more technology unique to the USO. This division is comprised of six departments. Engineering, Fleet Development, Electronics/Robotics, Weapons, Advanced R&D, and Special Forces unit before mentioned. I have a short list of people I would like to offer the position of department heads. Kine I would like you for Electronics/Robotics and advanced R&D as I have noticed your expertise in both areas, Isabelle I would like you for Engineering, Jay I would like you for weapons or the special forces department. This division will be designated.......Section 6. Anybody who would be interested in working to help not only the USO, but the development of the planet as well, please contact me at your earliest convenience. Alex when you have the time I would like to speak with you about a special project I think you're going to like." Jack grinned at the last sentence.

"Also I would like to call a meeting later for specifically the Sky Guard, there are some things that need to be discussed in light of recent events." he added, before asking "Questions?"

Uso raised her hand,

"Your first job is figuring out how to fix the mess we've caused here."

She paused for a moment.

"... I mean, that's not a question. But still, show me what you can do. We've got a whole lot of Rixxikor to contain and then move off world. We also need something productive to do with them and a place to take them that isn't here. We also can't kill them because Vier will get mad and take me off her Lews Pasco Day Card List... which is unacceptable.

... If you're still stuck on what to do then just build a fucking wall around them and have Vier dump the rixx inside until we're ready for them!"

Jack thought for a moment,"Done, I would like to talk to later if at all possible mam, about setting up facilities and etc. I would like to discuss available resources for the task at hand. I have an idea, but it depends on how many of the bugs we project are still there, and if we have a ship large enough available to hold them."

Alex looked to Jack. "I can speak to you after this is done." He said, before sitting back down.

"What are you waiting for? Let's do it now... " Uso would turn her attention to the crowd, "If you don't need to be here then you can go do whatever!"

"I know right?!" Uso responded

"Oh, actually question."

Uso looked around, and then finally found her target, "See Vier over there? That girl-lookin thing over there is the thing that runs all of those killbots. Our Cupcake mini-tanks up to those giant anti-ship drones... and a decent number of Junkers that aren't freespacer junkers.

She has been instructed to help me, which means she works for us. However she only will stay apart of our rag tag, plucky, band of heroes so long as our actions are ethical in her eyes.

Of course if you can talk her into thinking these bugs are better off dead go for it."

Jack turned to Alex, "I wondering if at all possible to create a new ship design, we lost the Calburn in the raid. So it would be a good idea to replace it, but we need something bigger, stronger, so that we can even the playing field the next time we encounter such strong ships as the carrier that took down the Calburn. With S6 now officially going, we can handle some of the logistics, but your insight into ship design would be invaluable."

Alex nodded. "Thanks for consulting me on this. I'll meet with the design team sometime later."

He turned around to the remaining Skyguard Personnel. "And I'd like to say some words as well. After this mission, I've decided to promote all surviving pilots to the rank of Sky Knight in recognition of their performance during this mission. This rank comes with benefits such as allowing the personalization of your craft, but also carries responsibilities with it, such as the fact that you now must help to guide the recruits that will follow in your footsteps."

Jay rolled his eyes.

"All in good faith, I suppose. So what's this section 6 deal about? I mean, it sounds intriguing and all, but where would all these resources be coming from?"

"I'm glad you asked, most of it will come from facilities here on 188604, but we will also salvage what we can after battles of particular materials and tech we can recycle for our own purposes. Plus any tech we salvage has the possibility to be reverse engineered, or provide valuable data at the least. Never neglect what others may have to offer, even whether it was a gift or not. Even the requisition of derelict or wrecked ships should be salvaged, any usable parts we can use for pre-made replacement or in the construction of new ships to reduce build time, after being refurbished of course. As well, I encourage anyone with new ideas to submit them, anything can make a difference, and we can focus our resources into your projects." Jack stated as he thought of the few projects that the division had already made some plans for.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back