• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What do we use to power cities, towns, and space stations anyway?

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
Inactive Member
I'm just doing a bit of prewriting for something I want to put in the NTSE and the ISC Phoenix 2 after the current mission's done and a question has crossed my mind. What powerplants do we use to power cities, towns, colonies, and possibly even large installations like Dawn Station?

I'm in the look for something capable of supporting a town - but I begun to wonder what all the other towns, cities, and colonies are powered by.

In Yamatai, most towns are powered by aether generators. It's clean, it's cheap, and it's something Yamatai does very well. Yamatai also uses solar power, and some fusion.

Honestly I'd imagine outside the main national/planetary grid (which is probably fusion for everyone thats not Yamatai) it'd be a mix of technology from renewables (wind, solar, biofuels) to fission systems all of this relatively efficient since we've solved the battery problem. Afterall in Nepleslia I'd imagine the 'grid' is a bit messy.

Lor's primary power source is geothermal. They probably have fusion, orbital solar, or some other form of high output power for specialty needs or high draw facilities. For the most part though they use geothermal power because they're really good at using it.

The Neshaten use a combination of different power types for their populated area depending on the size and such. For example, villages and small towns get their power from non-polluting solar panels and wind farms. Bigger towns use the same things, but also have access to micro-fusion generators. Now big cities get their power from massive Lunabaren reactors located beneath the city (which provides them ample protection from attacks) but with other cities - such as the capital, they also get power from geothermal vents likewise located beneath the city.

Although right now the Neshaten are on the verge of a full-blown ban on wind farms, since they are not very enviromentally friendly and given the Neshaten care about their enviroment, such a system doesn't meet their qualifications.

The Poku Saeruo Degonjo have started colonizing systems. The initial settlements are built by dismantling the arks. The primary power and life support systems become integrated into the settlement. This means that the main settlement will be powered by Quantum Foam generators. Additional settlements the power will depend on the nature of the settlement.

In Yamatai, most towns are powered by aether generators. It's clean, it's cheap, and it's something Yamatai does very well. Yamatai also uses solar power, and some fusion.
Introducing new net energy to planets is how you turn Earth like planets into Venus like planets.

You're going to kill billions.

You're grabbing energy from an alternate dimension and using it. Even Yamataian technology isn't totally 100% efficient, so some of that energy is wasted and becomes heat. Add enough heat and not correct for it and you get the doomsday scenario OsakanOne describes. I'm assuming the Nekos aren't that dumb though...

I wish the article for Yamatai made mention of the artificial components of the planet. Would be nice to have a better idea of what the core world of the setting is like.

The wiki is god's character sheet is what I've seen written elsewhere. If it isn't supposed to be known IC, it should be noted as such on the wiki. Not writing it down however isn't acceptable. If any other setting element tried to get away with not having aspects of it on the wiki because "it isn't commonly known outside of select individuals" it would get torn apart as soon as it came up in canon.

Avoid the double standard and consolidate the information on the wiki.

Edit: It comes to my attention that plot elements are the only exception to this rule since understandably GMs don't want players accidentally stumbling across a surprise on the wiki. I just can't see the construction of Yamatai being a big plot point that has been kept hush hush.

Since Kyle hasn't had time to explain why Neshaten wind farms are ecologically a problem, I suppose I'll mention that it would be a good idea for Yamatai to have more or less what equates to "heat sink" facilities that capture excess energy present on the planet and put it into something that eats up energy like mass fabrication or something. If they're adding energy into the system, they need a way to balance and remove energy from the system. Because world building is fun.

Wind farms tend to do horrible things to the wildlife around them, especially of the avian variety. The noise pollution they cause (doesn't seem like there would be much, but there is) also tends to drive animals of all sorts away from the area, and out of their natural habitats as a result.

Lets talk about heat real quick....

Heat can't be created or destroyed. It has to come from somewhere and it will stick around if you don't get rid of it.

In Yamatai's case, it is taking a little bit of heat from the Aether Universe and bringing it to Yamatai. This lowers the temperature of the Aether universe by a little bit, and raises the temperature in our Aether generator a whole lot!

Now, we can use that heat to do work. We can turn it into mass, use it to move space ships, heat homes, ect, but regardless of what we do with it on Yamatai that heat is still on Yamatai. We can push the heat around a bit if you like, but you're really just taking one big hot spot and spreading it out so that you raise the temperature across Yamatai by a small amount. Eventually, if we keep using this heat to make mass or otherwise do work Yamatai will have so much heat sitting around from the Aether universe that it will cook the planet.

Now before you go and say "Why don't we just send it back to the Aether?" Remember that heat can only go from high to low. If we open up a hole to the Aether universe we're going to get the much hotter universe pouring out into our much colder universe. Luckily we have something very big and very cold nearby: Space. Heat naturally radiates away from a planet, and all that heat that has built up on Yamatai will naturally radiate out into space. Over time the very warm Yamatai will lose heat out into the very cold space through radiation. If you turn off the sun and the Aether then Yamatai will quickly freeze due to this heat loss. The problem with global warming is that carbon traps heat on the planet and prevents it from leaving, since Aether doesn't release carbon then we aren't in danger of Yamatai isn't really in danger of burning.

Of course, if we do need to get rid of more heat there are ways we can do it. The best way is to let that heat beam out into space and for that we need radiators. A good radiator would be a large white surface that can reflect heat away as well as let it radiate off the surface and into space.... a large, flat, white/grey surface would also be a great place to land starships too...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back