• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What do we use to power cities, towns, and space stations anyway?

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
I'm just doing a bit of prewriting for something I want to put in the NTSE and the ISC Phoenix 2 after the current mission's done and a question has crossed my mind. What powerplants do we use to power cities, towns, colonies, and possibly even large installations like Dawn Station?

I'm in the look for something capable of supporting a town - but I begun to wonder what all the other towns, cities, and colonies are powered by.

In Yamatai's case, it is taking a little bit of heat from the Aether Universe and bringing it to Yamatai. This lowers the temperature of the Aether universe by a little bit, and raises the temperature in our Aether generator a whole lot! Eventually, if we keep using this heat to make mass or otherwise do work Yamatai will have so much heat sitting around from the Aether universe that it will cook the planet.
Nepleslians generally use the Hyperspace Tap as their super power source of choice. By-products include accelerating the heat-death of the universe
Does this mean Nepleslia is saving the universe from being overcooked by Yamatai?

In cheltiwah, coal, geothermal, fusion, the tears of oppressed natives. Whatever the inhabitants can get their hands on. Then again, chelti are currently the only species known in the setting to basically send their settlers out with hatchets, blankets and a few rations and telling them to make do or else.

If a colony is lucky a second-hand military fusion reactor might be available to power the settlement, for a price, of course. If hydro-electric or geothermal power is available to the colony those might be used as well. Considering chelti also inhabit planets other species consider totally inadequate for settlement, it's not surprising there's no standardized power system.

If you are really worried about the greenhouse effect on planets, just block some of the star's radiation with a solar sail. Planets naturally radiate heat by themselves and are more or less self regulating to a degree. More due to the fact that higher temperatures = more energy radiated than anything else.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back