• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

What happens to people exposed to a vacuum?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
๐ŸŒธ FM of Yamatai
๐ŸŽ–๏ธ Game Master
Discord Booster
๐ŸŽจ Media Gallery

See: Human Exposure to a Vacuum.

Note that Nekovalkyrja (even earlier types) have particularly strong lungs and have been known to hold their breath successfully during decompression to survive long periods of time. Doing so, however, could cause the neko to accidentally jet themselves backwards if they exhale (this ended up killing Hanako once).

Wow. I learned something today and I actually grasped it for once. thanks Wes!

I finally understand why Roger Wilco turns into a balloon and explodes if he goes in the open shuttle bay without a space suit on (Space Quest 1).

Actually because of the lack of air pressure in space. you'd explode because there's notihng stopping the 14 psi your body puts out from the internal environment.

It also depends on how fast the pressure drops. Having air slowly leak out of your spacesuit should be much more survivable than having a chunk of your ship's hull suddenly blown to subatomic particles.

Ah. The marvels of space-travel.

I think thanks to my recent studies on what would happen to people in a vacuum I could be of assistance. There is a device called a Space Action Suit, which is designed so that only the head of a person is under actual atmosphere. The rest is an elastic suit designed to keep the person's body it a form, otherwise it would expand due to approximately 20 tonnes of weight being pressed down on you by the atmosphere at any given time.

The idea of explosive decompression is there, though. The air being ejected into space would likely pull you out a window, but the mass of the air remains in a group under zero gravity for a short period of time. You would be in oxygen for a few short moments before that happened. The Vekimens suits are based on this principle, as well as the power armour that Edtoto wears on the Heartbreaker. She has a tube that goes into her lungs that stop her from vocalizing, requiring a speaker on her suit to make the vocalizations for her. It seals her airways, but her mouth, when opened, is still exposed to space. Because heat doesn't transfer in the same way it does on earth in space, your heat would actually remain inside you... It has nowhere to go, there is nothing to transfer the heat from your body to space.

Would you explode? Maybe, but the idea of explosive decompression usually means you don't realize it's going to happen. Unless you know... You're told it will, which is unlikely. Vsauce, out!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ